Brighton at Wembley - 13th Dec.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

Completely deserved 3 points.
Agree with all of that. We had to be patient and it was frustrating last night, but you can’t always be passing and moving forward all the time. Sometimes it takes possession and passing to slowly, patiently unlock teams. A lot of people were acting like cunts last night.

Strange thing to say given how we've played during out best performances this year.

Its not a new thing either. I'm sure we sat deep against Woolwich at theirs in Poch's first year and got a point.

Look at the state of our team that day if you want an example of how far we've come in three years:

• 1Lloris
  • 16Naughton
  • 4Kaboul
  • 5Vertonghen
  • 3Rose (Dier 83')
  • 38Mason
  • 29Capoue
  • 11Lamela
  • 23Eriksen (Lennon 62')
  • 22Chadli (Bentaleb 80')
  • 10Adebayor

Agree with all of that. We had to be patient and it was frustrating last night, but you can’t always be passing and moving forward all the time. Sometimes it takes possession and passing to slowly, patiently unlock teams. A lot of people were acting like cunts last night.
It really is horrible to watch but as fans we need to ole when we are keeping possession, as fans try to put pressure on the oppo, not on our own team as it only plays into the hands of the oppo. Will never happen though, just shout "forwards" because that solves all the problems on how to breakdown a low block defence.

It's probably 'cos they are the SAME set of tourist fans who turned up on a whim last night... and who will no doubt also be at Stamford Bridge on Saturday as part of their 7-day "London Football Travel Package"!!!!
latest

I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

As far as I'm concerned Winks can do no wrong. He's a yid, and he always gives 100%.

As far as I'm concerned Winks can do no wrong. He's a yid, and he always gives 100%.
And he's at that age where the England team hype machine can chew him up and spit him out. Really hope he gets on the plane to Russia, but pray the media doesn't crucify him if he puts a foot wrong.

In the meantime, the better the support he gets from us then the more willing he'll be to push himself to new levels.

I've only seen him have one poor game for us and that was Burnley away last year, think it had a contributing factor to his injury as he was trying to put himself about as he was being dominated by them (never seen him attempt to make a tackle like that before or since).

He still created the most chances of any player last night and chalked up an assist (hate that stat) too, all from the base of midfield!!!

The sense of entitlement that has crept into large number so of our suporters is disappointing, combine that with a poor understanding of tactical football and having tabloid rags and talksport as your major source of influence is a recipe for disaster.

Its not just the youngsters either, which would at least be more understandable, i've heard it coming from fans who should be old enough to remember a time where things were much, much worse than they are now.

I dont want to come across as preachy, there is an argument to say that people pay their money and can support the club in anyway they see fit (equally i have the right to tell you to stop being a moany old cunt if you are ruining my matchday experience with your stream of constant negativity). But at no point last night where we losing!! it was probably the most comfortable win we will have all season. Brighton offered very little threat of their own.

Some propper flapping going on in here at 1-0 and in my mind we were MORE likely to lose the ball and conceded on the break by pushing too hard for a second than we were just keeping possession. Good game management is what makes league winners.

EDIT: Oh and to the cries of "if we play like this against City then they'll piss all over us". We weren't playing fucking City! We barely got out of first gear because there was no need to. Why knacker ourselves unnecessarily with our third game in a week and a relentless xmas period coming up?

I was stunned by the negativity and vitriol directed at Winks last night too. Was sat with my Dad, who, along with lots of others around us, went crazy at Winks when he passed backwards in the 60th-ish minute. Dad has been going to Spurs for close to 50 years, but still couldn't understand how at 1-0 up, a speculative 50/50 ball forward might not be a better option than a backwards pass that lets us keep the ball and lets our players re-position themselves and try again. If we were 1-0 down with 85 minutes gone I could understand it... but we weren't! Trying to explain this to him is useless though.

For what it's worth, I think Winks's style lends itself much more to the big games where the middle of the pitch is actually contested and retaining possession and taking control of the match is much harder to do. Like Saturday will be, for instance. In matches where we're facing a parked bus, midfielders that are capable of taking the ball forward themselves (like Dembele is or Sissoko should be) are needed much more.

we're going to face the bus time and again from teams below us. They know a point VS any top six side is worth it's weight in gold. If they can frustrate a team and pick-up a point it's a good day in the office for them. It's boring and frustrating but can't really expect much more as teams fight for survival. We however will need to find a way to break them down as dropping points against poor opposition will cost us season after season.

Only saw the highlights last night, seems like we made a few chances and deservedly won. Happy if we win when we're not flying... just hope we can step it up when we need to.

Luckily a few other teams around us are struggling so we've have climbed back up but don't think we can afford another dip.

Amen brother.

giphy.gif

Quite simply, any cunt booing or being offensive to Harry Winks can fuck off as a Spurs fan.

If you find yourself in a position thinking you're right doing that to Winks, you aren't. You're a wankcandle.

We played meh and got 3 points. This is the type of game that every top tier team plays and it is quickly forgotten. This is the type of result we needed against Burnley and Swansea early on, to be honest - 3 points against bad teams when we aren't at our best.

And he's at that age where the England team hype machine can chew him up and spit him out. Really hope he gets on the plane to Russia, but pray the media doesn't crucify him if he puts a foot wrong.

Oh, they will...

Look at the grief Kane got after the Euro's even though it was blatant that Woy completely fucked him (and others) over.

This is why I always have mixed feelings for our young lads being called up.

Proud of them, but fear the worst.

Last edited:
You my good sir, nailed it.

I really hate this complaining at your own side when the oppossition parks the buss thing. Take it out on the oppossition parking the buss rather than on our guys. booing your own players is to me just weird.
Whilst I agree, essentially, with all these posts, I actually don't fully agree about taking the moral high ground versus a "park the bus" side. Wenger in fact tried to do this in his interview on MOTD last night, complaining that the result wasn't valid because West Ham parked the bus (typical of him). Parking the bus is just a side with limited resources using the most effective means of getting a result which may keep them in the division. It was Brighton's best option and it could have worked; although we won it was not an easy game, and if I was Chris Hughton I would have done the same thing. Had they gone toe to toe with us, then we would have smashed them.

Of course, if Brighton/West Brom/Palace etc fans want to boo their own team parking the bus, that's up to them.

(Though I totally agree we should not take it out on our own team doing their best to get the win against these tactics, and I think we need to recognise how hard this is...as shown by other teams results e.g. Liverpool and scum last night)

Whilst I agree, essentially, with all these posts, I actually don't fully agree about taking the moral high ground versus a "park the bus" side. Wenger in fact tried to do this in his interview on MOTD last night, complaining that the result wasn't valid because West Ham parked the bus (typical of him). Parking the bus is just a side with limited resources using the most effective means of getting a result which may keep them in the division. It was Brighton's best option and it could have worked; although we won it was not an easy game, and if I was Chris Hughton I would have done the same thing. Had they gone toe to toe with us, then we would have smashed them.

Of course, if Brighton/West Brom/Palace etc fans want to boo their own team parking the bus, that's up to them.

(Though I totally agree we should not take it out on our own team doing their best to get the win against these tactics, and I think we need to recognise how hard this is...as shown by other teams results e.g. Liverpool and scum last night)

The Wenger(*) comparison is somewhat awkward, but I see where you're coming from....

Just don't boo. Period.

Players aren't likely to be able to tell the difference between booing a parked bus and booing the lack of incision from our play.

Cheer them forward or STFU... Better still stay at home and make room for someone that know's how to SUPPORT their team.

(*I still vividly remember him and Fabrecunt insinuating that Stoke were essentially cheating by not going toe-to-toe with them years ago.)

Disappointed to hear about the fans getting at Winks. Watching on a stream, there was one time I was disappointed Winks passed back as it looked like we were about to break. Once only though. Must remember that for years we had max 35000 fans and last night was the lowest at 42000 which still means many fans that have not being going much. Did not see too much time wasting last night and certainly not on the scale of WBA. At least they did not hack our players down all the time. Despite changes, 3rd match in a week and MC to come Saturday was bound to depress energy levels. Thought Brighton's CB's controlled Kane well. When are we ever going to score direct from a free kick, seems ages since we did.
I suppose it depends where you are in the ground but I left on the final whistle against WBA and got down Wembley Way without stopping and bigger attendance. Maybe less trains midweek.
After our poor performances up to Watford, I said we had lost ability to win when playing poorly. looks like we have rediscovered that knack.

Yeah, apologise I might have used the wrong descriptive term, jeering may be better description but it was audible throughout the entire stadium, around me it was vile, bordering on hatred.

I really don't get that. I often moan a lot when I watch Spurs in the pub and criticize individual players, but I hardly ever do this when inside the ground. Why do something that could affect your own team in a negative way? Makes no sense.

Disappointed to hear about the fans getting at Winks. Watching on a stream, there was one time I was disappointed Winks passed back as it looked like we were about to break. Once only though. Must remember that for years we had max 35000 fans and last night was the lowest at 42000 which still means many fans that have not being going much. Did not see too much time wasting last night and certainly not on the scale of WBA. At least they did not hack our players down all the time. Despite changes, 3rd match in a week and MC to come Saturday was bound to depress energy levels. Thought Brighton's CB's controlled Kane well. When are we ever going to score direct from a free kick, seems ages since we did.
I suppose it depends where you are in the ground but I left on the final whistle against WBA and got down Wembley Way without stopping and bigger attendance. Maybe less trains midweek.
After our poor performances up to Watford, I said we had lost ability to win when playing poorly. looks like we have rediscovered that knack.

Why do new fans always get the blame for any negativity? There's always been plenty of moaners at WHL. A lot of the worst ones are longstanding season ticket holders.

Back
Top Bottom