Brighton at Wembley - 13th Dec.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet another team that turns up against us and plays 10behind the ball.
Brighton had a back line of 6 with 3 or 4 just in front of them. I’m getting sick and tired of teams playing like this.
We try to play football the way it was intended but so many teams just turn up trying to stop us playing.
Makes for a shit spectacle which isn’t down to us.

Yet another team that turns up against us and plays 10behind the ball.
Brighton had a back line of 6 with 3 or 4 just in front of them. I’m getting sick and tired of teams playing like this.
We try to play football the way it was intended but so many teams just turn up trying to stop us playing.
Makes for a shit spectacle which isn’t down to us.

WBA did the same against Liverpool last night - which they also did against us ! Was like watching spurs v Albion replay. These are the type of teams that cost us points. They play 'survival' football with a big bus in front of goal.

WBA did the same against Liverpool last night - which they also did against us ! Was like watching spurs v Albion replay. These are the type of teams that cost us points. They play 'survival' football with a big bus in front of goal.

Apparently so did West Ham.. The next level saw them have 30% possession with no shots on target..

I’d stop going if we ever played like that. Best league in the world my arse.. it’s full of clubs who have no intention of playing football.

Recall Onomah and sell Sissoko at any price to anyone fool enough to buy him. He offers absolutely nothing. Whenever someone passes to him, wherever he is on the field, you wish it was someone else on the ball. That's an awful thing to say about someone in our starting XI

Sorry Bill, I agree he is limited but with the current squad and available players he does a job. I didn't think he did much wrong yesterday and was arguably one of our better players/

I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

Completely deserved 3 points.
Darren Lewis covers a lot of our games for the mirror his match rating Winks 9 man of the match?

arguably one of our better players/

Well you could argue that the universe is 8,000 years old or that politicians only have our best interests at heart but you'd be wrong.

Name one memorable thing he did yesterday, other than "got forward" or "had a good engine".

He's nowhere near the standards we should expect of our first 18 players, I doubt he would improve someone like Palace or West Brom that much either.

I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

Completely deserved 3 points.

My mate took my boys ticket last night. He’s normally right at the front behind the goal so can’t really see fuck all in terms is positions of both teams.

I think a lot of people closer to the action (or lower) fail to really see what is more obvious to fans higher. So maybe that’s why not so noticeable jeering in my area. But yes heard that a lot last night.
But I think on the whole Spurs fans can be critical- the Lane was always the same.

What was very noticeable for me last night was Harry dropping deep. He was rarely on the shoulder of the last man so there was never really a ball over the top.
I’m guessing Poch wanted to squeeze into their half and then utilise our RB and LB and not expose the back two by doing it

Which was what basically got us our first goal.

I admired Brighton for their positional sense last night.
But fuck travelling around the country watching that every other week.

Apparently so did West Ham.. The next level saw them have 30% possession with no shots on target..

I’d stop going if we ever played like that. Best league in the world my arse.. it’s full of clubs who have no intention of playing football.
I don't really blame the teams. Of course they're going to play like that - it gives them a much better chance of a result. The problem is more than since 92 things have got less and less equal, to the extent that these teams don't/can't even aspire to compete with the big guns on the same footballing level. And as far as they're concerned - why should they play nice against teams with twice their revenue?

Why do new fans always get the blame for any negativity? There's always been plenty of moaners at WHL. A lot of the worst ones are longstanding season ticket holders.
I was thinking about this. There were absolutely stacks of empty seats in the lower levels, which presumably means that lots of season ticket holders didn’t actually attend? I went to the Stoke game at the weekend and as a Lilywhite member, the only seats available were up in the gods. However at the game itself there were hundreds of empty seats lower down. Are people just not bothering to attend the “lesser” games? Seems surprising since WHL was packed out for every single game last year. (As far as I am aware??)

I was thinking about this. There were absolutely stacks of empty seats in the lower levels, which presumably means that lots of season ticket holders didn’t actually attend? I went to the Stoke game at the weekend and as a Lilywhite member, the only seats available were up in the gods. However at the game itself there were hundreds of empty seats lower down. Are people just not bothering to attend the “lesser” games? Seems surprising since WHL was packed out for every single game last year. (As far as I am aware??)

We always struggle with lesser mid week games - look at our EL games at the Lane.

Our fan base is so wide spread something has to give. There’s probably a few on here who couldn’t make it but if it was Barca on the same night they would have found a way.

Or sold their ticket easily to someone else. Which then fills the ground.

Remember saying the it pre -season - some games we will struggle for 50k as some / a ST holders won’t attend. Just the way it is.

But do wonder how many members bought a ticket for last nights game??

I cannot wait to quit Wembley and get back home. Getting to the place is now getting downright dangerous. It is easier for me to go to Marylebone but they run two trains an hour before the game, 10 and 40 minutes past the hour. You can imagine working out which one to get to see the Kick Off.
On Saturday they had two coaches, last night they had four. The trains look like Hillsborough, they are that dangerously overcrowded. Talking to their staff is like talking to a robot. They are fucking useless.
Watching the games is like Groundhog day, last night it was also the coldest place on the face of the Earth. I'm beginning to hate the place.
Underwent a major body search outside the Turnstile by a bloke with a metal detector, then got searched again on the other side of the same fucking turnstile. I asked idiot No 2 what he thought I could do between his mate and him, he replied, "this is what they do in the NFL.' Well, that's fucking cleared that up then.
Bought a bottle of Carlsberg and was asked if I wanted a 'Meal Deal.' A fucking meal deal at football!
Spent the game surrounded by Johnny come latelys, expecting to win every game 10 -0, who know fuck all about the game but had an opinion on everything and spent half time on the concourse facing into an Artic wind barreling through the place.
Usual stampede for the next train at Wembley Stadium, then find out that SWR trains are still fucked up. Finally get to bed frozen fucking solid, only for my wife to say accusingly in her sleep, "Have you been taking drugs?" Fucking bizarre.
Carlsberg don't do soulless Football days, but if they fucking did . . .
Fucking shambles all round. Shove it up your fucking arse!
See you next week.

I don't really blame the teams. Of course they're going to play like that - it gives them a much better chance of a result. The problem is more than since 92 things have got less and less equal, to the extent that these teams don't/can't even aspire to compete with the big guns on the same footballing level. And as far as they're concerned - why should they play nice against teams with twice their revenue?

Footballs is a form of entertainment.

Think the answer lies there.... Wembley is a ball ache; thus if the game is inconvenient its an easier decision to blow out and with tickets still available for all but the biggest games those seats aren't so likely to be sold on.

Footballs is a form of entertainment.

Sorry to be pedantic, by its a sporting contest (that happens to be entertaining) and thus requires a different level of integrity, credibility and regulation.

I alluded to this above, but I think equating it to TV, theatre or whatever is part of the 'modern football' shitfest that leads to the entitlement and lack of literal support present in some fans.

I cannot wait to quit Wembley and get back home. Getting to the place is now getting downright dangerous. It is easier for me to go to Marylebone but they run two trains an hour before the game, 10 and 40 minutes past the hour. You can imagine working out which one to get to see the Kick Off.
On Saturday they had two coaches, last night they had four. The trains look like Hillsborough, they are that dangerously overcrowded. Talking to their staff is like talking to a robot. They are fucking useless.
Watching the games is like Groundhog day, last night it was also the coldest place on the face of the Earth. I'm beginning to hate the place.
Underwent a major body search outside the Turnstile by a bloke with a metal detector, then got searched again on the other side of the same fucking turnstile. I asked idiot No 2 what he thought I could do between his mate and him, he replied, "this is what they do in the NFL.' Well, that's fucking cleared that up then.
Bought a bottle of Carlsberg and was asked if I wanted a 'Meal Deal.' A fucking meal deal at football!
Spent the game surrounded by Johnny come latelys, expecting to win every game 10 -0, who know fuck all about the game but had an opinion on everything and spent half time on the concourse facing into an Artic wind barreling through the place.
Usual stampede for the next train at Wembley Stadium, then find out that SWR trains are still fucked up. Finally get to bed frozen fucking solid, only for my wife to say accusingly in her sleep, "Have you been taking drugs?" Fucking bizarre.
Carlsberg don't do soulless Football days, but if they fucking did . . .
Fucking shambles all round. Shove it up your fucking arse!
See you next week.
Thank fuck we won!

Think the answer lies there.... Wembley is a ball ache; thus if the game is inconvenient its an easier decision to blow out and with tickets still available for all but the biggest games those seats aren't so likely to be sold on.
Am I right in thinking that ST holders can’t sell their ticket unless a game is sold out? Shame really, as it would allow people (like myself) to get down nearer the action rather than have to peer down at the empty seats! Would be better for atmosphere too.

Am I right in thinking that ST holders can’t sell their ticket unless a game is sold out? Shame really, as it would allow people (like myself) to get down nearer the action rather than have to peer down at the empty seats! Would be better for atmosphere too.

Not too sure... Never had an ST so never paid close attention.

Back
Top Bottom