West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the point is the game is finished and there are other opportunities to win a trophy this season. There's no time machine we can't go back to the past and re-play the game so why mull over it?
People don't tend to enjoy having a result in which they lost told to them over and over.

I understand your view. My point was a lot of fans saying they didn't care,didn't take it seriously. That makes no sense we're not exactly trophy laden and with teams like City and PSG spending a fortune it seems foolish to not take a trophy opportunity when one comes along. From my perspective the league cup is the best chance to win a trophy for any club. That includes us.

Took 4 points from City last season and just drew away to RM without our first 11.

I'm not suggesting its impossible to beat them in one off games. I think over the season or competition they have the players to be more consistent.

Here's what concerns me. We are not a lot better than last season and we won nothing. We're up against teams this season who are far better than last season and have won stuff. We need to at least keep pace. I fear we're not

No they don't. They make the case that they can win it with weaker teams.

Sorry Joe, but you're wrong on this. No manager promotes the idea that any competition is irrelevant, but you are.

I don’t mind being wrong - I really don’t, but you have to provide some evidence beyond your opinion. Maybe ‘irrelevant’ is too strong a word, but l don’t believe every manager in the league believes they can win the competition with the teams they put out. No way are they making the case that they can win it with weaker teams they field - that’s entirely subjective. No manager would dare come out and say they think the competition is irrelevant, they are obliged to compete in it after all, but many, I would bet - especially the bottom 10 club managers would privately admit that it’s a nuisance. I admit that’s entirely subjective as well.

This competition needs to be retired, Carabao have taken it new levels of cringeworthy-ness. The draw today was a total farce:

Enjoying the brilliant farce that has been the Carabao Cup drawing process | JOE.co.uk

It's an embarrassment to be associated with it and I want us out as early as possible next year.
So there was a huge delay all the top teams missed eachother and charlton where drawn twice.
Wow definitely no dodgy betting opportunities at all here folks

I don't understand why we wouldn't take it seriously. Realistically its our best chance at winning something. Beggars can't be choosers.
We are not beggars. We have grown as a club by showing ambition beyond trying to win the league cup. If cup competitions get sidelined by that ambition I’m not going to complain. Like many people I was at the 2008 final, and whilst it was brilliant to win I enjoyed last season so much more. I do appreciate that others feel differently though.

Here's what concerns me. We are not a lot better than last season and we won nothing. We're up against teams this season who are far better than last season and have won stuff. We need to at least keep pace. I fear we're not

Last season we accumulated 86 points. ‘Not a lot better’ would point to 90. That would be enough to win the league.

Last season we accumulated 86 points. ‘Not a lot better’ would point to 90. That would be enough to win the league.

Its like I said Man City are a lot better this season they look unstoppable.

It don't seem a lot but they're 5 and a half points(with goal difference) ahead of us. The problem is that's 2 losses before we can take them That's assuming we have a 100% record. 2 losses is a lot for a team like City and a 100% record is virtually impossible for anyone. I understand draws and that can play a factor. But the point I'm making is it already looks a really tricky task.

It don't seem a lot but they're 5 and a half points(with goal difference) ahead of us. The problem is that's 2 losses before we can take them That's assuming we have a 100% record. 2 losses is a lot for a team like City and a 100% record is virtually impossible for anyone. I understand draws and that can play a factor. But the point I'm making is it already looks a really tricky task.

They looked unstoppable at the beginning of last season as well. I’m not suggesting the same thing will happen again, but we are the best equipped team to chase them down and they know it. Beat them twice and there’s your 5 and a half points back. They haven’t beaten us for 2 seasons. Why should that notion be considered absurd?

Every team looks unstoppable until they are stopped. First it was man u. City last season were being crowned in October. City can stumble we can swoop nothing is written.

Back
Top Bottom