West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm still angry, angry I tell you!
I don't care if it is a tin pot cup, Winning becomes a habit and we had that game won last night. Sending out a team of Bertie Big Bollocks for the second half rightly blew up in our faces.
Losing to the shower off the Estate is never acceptable, but to piss a 2 goal lead up the wall, is unforgivable.
I have never ever, subscribed to the theory that a cup is unimportant, we could have been in the 1/4 final and giving squad players some much needed competitive games.
Are Man City, Woolwich or Chelsea, pissed off because they are in the draw? I don't fucking think so!
No manager should ever denigrate a Competition he is about to send a team out to play in, and no player should ever treat it as if it is unimportant.
If our Club believes last night doesn't matter, then I will accept a refund of the good money I spent watching it.
We've won fuck all for ten years and yet we scoff at our best chance of a cup. We are top of our CL Group and have created a winning mentality for the first time in a generation, yet we now think that we can pick and choose competitions that we have failed in, for a decade.
We have once again given the poxy Media a stick with which to beat us, If it's not bottling the League it's our players leaving. If it's not a Wembley hoodoo it's the new ground won't be ready.
We are not Big Time Charlies, nor should we ever be. Time to get real.
Time you grew a pair Arthur if you are worried about media beating you/us up, it's par the the course.

Poch made his comments before the game, if you paid your money expecting our first 11 to be selected then it's your fault for parting with your cash, don't complain after the event.

I'll give you £20 to a charity of your choice if Guardiola/Mourinho/Wenger/Conte select their first 11 in the next round. I'll give you another £20 if these managers don't complain about fixtures piling up when they play in the next round too.

Why is this our best chance at winning a cup? We will certainly been drawn against one of the teams we are fighting the title for, a Title that you and many moaning about think we can't win. A title that our manager does BTW.

In other words you want an echo chamber where every fan has exactly your take on it and anyone who differs should shut the fuck up? Got it.

Shame. I would have preferred it if we could have addressed the questions I posed.

Echo chamber?! Oh ffs.

No, more like it's a boring argument now that's based solely on opinions. There really isn't any right or wrong.

Performance last night was pedestrian. I literally dozed off after 1-0. We took west ham too lightly, and there was little to no intensity last night.

Regardless of the competition, which I'm not particularly arsed about and also believe in the long run won't do us any harm being in, it was still a game against West ham. We should always be up for it, and we only seemed to look interested once we were pegged back. By then, the momentum of the game had already shifted.

I hope it gives the players a kick up the arse for Sunday.

I'd rather it gives them a kick up the arse for Saturday. ;-)

Time you grew a pair Arthur if you are worried about media beating you/us up, it's par the the course.

Poch made his comments before the game, if you paid your money expecting our first 11 to be selected then it's your fault for parting with your cash, don't complain after the event.

I'll give you £20 to a charity of your choice if Guardiola/Mourinho/Wenger/Conte select their first 11 in the next round. I'll give you another £20 if these managers don't complain about fixtures piling up when they play in the next round to
Why is this our best chance at winning a cup? We will certainly been drawn against one of the teams we are fighting the title for, a Title that you and many moaning about think we can't win. A title that our manager does BTW.

You've completely missed the point. I knew we would not play our first X1, that team was more than capable of beating West Ham, as they proved for 45 minutes.
It is easier to win because there are fewer rounds, and we have reached three finals, our best Cup runs. Playing squad players alleviates fixture congestion for obvious reasons, and I don't care what other managers do.
That game was thrown away last night against a team that looked beaten after half an hour. I played at a half decent level and I never met a player who didn't want to win a competition he was playing in.
Oh, and by the way, I don't remember ever stating that we can't win the league.

You've completely missed the point. I knew we would not play our first X1, that team was more than capable of beating West Ham, as they proved for 45 minutes.
It is easier to win because there are fewer rounds, and we have reached three finals, our best Cup runs. Playing squad players alleviates fixture congestion for obvious reasons, and I don't care what other managers do.
That game was thrown away last night against a team that looked beaten after half an hour. I played at a half decent level and I never met a player who didn't want to win a competition he was playing in.

:dierpochhug:

So why are you winging about wanting you money back?

I don't disagree with your other bits, but that wasn't what you were saying in your first post.

Apologies on the not winning the league comment. Vast majority of posters complaining about last night are also the one saying we are not title contenders and therefore should focus on a tin pot cup that not one club has or is taking seriously.

I stand by everything I've said but I must admit, the farcical "draw" and way that the four biggest teams have managed to avoid each other does make you question the legitimacy of the competition this year.

Not to mention Arsen*al and City both breaking the ET substitutions rule and not a whisper of any penalty...

I stand by everything I've said but I must admit, the farcical "draw" and way that the four biggest teams have managed to avoid each other does make you question the legitimacy of the competition this year.

Not to mention Arsen*al and City both breaking the ET substitutions rule and not a whisper of any penalty...
It's amazing ain't it!!

My theory is this, the losing managers don't want it replayed, they do not want to be in it. If that's why, then please, what an utter wank stain of a cup, utter farce.

The wording of the substitution law is very ambiguous and other teams have also made four changes in earlier rounds with no punishment, so I can understand there being no punishment here.

Nice to see the other big teams also don’t take this cup seriously, as the quarters only have the last five premier league winners in it. We should be delighted to be out and not have to mix it with lower league dregs like City, United and Chelsea.

The wording of the substitution law is very ambiguous and other teams have also made four changes in earlier rounds with no punishment, so I can understand there being no punishment here.

Nice to see the other big teams also don’t take this cup seriously, as the quarters only have the last five premier league winners in it. We should be delighted to be out and not have to mix it with lower league dregs like City, United and Chelsea.

Nobody is delighted to be out.

Nobody is delighted to be out.
Some have advanced the idea that it is better to be out than in because it, by default, increases our chances of the league and CL. You yourself make the case that the cups don't really matter and that we'd be stronger without them. Delighted is a poor choice of word, but there is a narrative that this result is perfective okay and beneficial.

What annoys me most about yesterday is the fact we haven't won a trophy for a long time and we crumble like that. Admittedly West Ham were a far better side in the 2nd half and we seemed unable to compete but I think we could have done better

"Not take seriously" they all rotated their squads.

Both teams rotate their squads and play in front of a half empty stadiums. The winner (there can only be one) means they take it seriously, the loser dosen't take it seriously. That's how it works, right?

So why are you winging about wanting you money back?

I don't disagree with your other bits, but that wasn't what you were saying in your first post.

Apologies on the not winning the league comment. Vast majority of posters complaining about last night are also the one saying we are not title contenders and therefore should focus on a tin pot cup that not one club has or is taking seriously.

I am not 'wingeing,' I expect effort and professionalism for 90, not 45 minutes. Like 'Blessed are the Cheesemakers,' it's not meant to be taken literally.

"Not take seriously" they all rotated their squads.

Both teams rotate their squads and play in front of a half empty stadiums. The winner (there can only be one) means they take it seriously, the loser dosen't take it seriously. That's how it works, right?

I don't understand why we wouldn't take it seriously. Realistically its our best chance at winning something. Beggars can't be choosers.

Back
Top Bottom