Younès Kaboul

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it'll probably come down to who stays out of him and Dawson.
And that's probably dependant on whether Vertonghen stays or not.

God, please not Dawson. Yeah, he puts it 'all on the line,' but that it isn't very fuckin much.

Little bit harsh, he's been our best CB this season IMO - every mistake that has been made by Vertonghen, Kaboul, Rose etc. it's always been Dawson valiantly sprinting back to try and prevent a goal whilst said clownshoe looks on from wherever he gave away possession.

He may not be the next coming of Puyol, or the most effective of captains, but he leads by example.

Little bit harsh, he's been our best CB this season IMO - every mistake that has been made by Vertonghen, Kaboul, Rose etc. it's always been Dawson valiantly sprinting back to try and prevent a goal whilst said clownshoe looks on from wherever he gave away possession.

He may not be the next coming of Puyol, or the most effective of captains, but he leads by example.

Forget where the joke comes from, but I think it's somewhat appropriate in this case: Being our best CB is like being the smartest kid in the special ed class. Not to mention it's totally unfair to use his "sprinting back" as a reason why he's been the best player this season, as he's made just as many mistakes that Kaboul/Walker have had to try and sprint back to defend. The back pass straight to Suarez, anyone?

He's the oldest. He's the slowest. He is a completely and totally inept captain, as proven by our squad capsizing in on itself this season (and our defense just being absolutely horrible in general). His long passing makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Sure, he's alright against bottom feeders who can only play through the air, but there's absolutely no reason to keep around a CB who can only play decently when he isn't faced with a striker with a little bit of pace and knows how to move. If we want to barge our way into the top 4 (sans one of the greatest players on earth in Bale), there's no way he can be at the heart of our defense. At least Kaboul sorta kinda has an excuse in that he was coming off a bad knee injury.

Also, barring his horrible pass across the defense (I forget the game), Chiriches, when healthy, has been far, far better than Dawson this season. Honestly, though his attitude has been questionable, so has Verts. They both have an air of confidence and a semblance of ability that Dawson has seemingly lost over the past season. He may have been our most played CB this season, but in no way, shape or form has he been our best. If he was half the captain/player you claim him to be, the squad's blatant, damning defensive issues would have been far less blatant and far less damning.

remind me again which top four team Dawson would slot into? Top 6 (aside from us [I.e. United])? Everton, maybe. I'd hardly call the 'abuse' (which isn't abuse so much as it is the truth) unwarranted. If we want to make it in the top 4 without a worldbeater saving us points, Dawson absolutely cannot be our first choice CB.

I have to say I was heartbroken watching him yesterday. Seemed a shadow of his former self. Seeing him get beaten in the air and on occasions for speed and strength was a real shame.

I'd put a lot of it down to his injuries but the worry is that he might not get back to even close to his former self.

I'm sure much is down to first game of the season.

Let's hope he owns it next week at the lane - preferably with Jan at his side.

I have to say I was heartbroken watching him yesterday. Seemed a shadow of his former self. Seeing him get beaten in the air and on occasions for speed and strength was a real shame.

I'd put a lot of it down to his injuries but the worry is that he might not get back to even close to his former self.

I'm sure much is down to first game of the season.

Let's hope he owns it next week at the lane - preferably with Jan at his side.
He's shot it. It's hard but true.

Everyone cool your shit.
Why? He's not the the player he was by a long way. His fitness for playing in today's game must have satisfied the coaching staff, and yet he was terrible. It would be crazy to think of him for anything other than 3rd choice back up, and hope for the best. Good players will turn him inside out I'm sorry to say.

I think today was evidence as to why Poch, who has the experience of being a CB at the very top level, has spent so much time and effort pursuing a CB this summer.

tbf carlton cole looked pretty big but yeah Kaboul looked abit dodgy

good news is we still kept a clean sheet in a match that is very unpredictable for us

Lets ease up on Kaboul.
He had a lot to do today. Sure he had a few glitches, some errors but he also recovered after won most of his headers made important tackles.

I don't mind people speculating before a game, but pretending things that did happen, didn't happen is pointless and unhelpful. The "no I won't look, because it doesn't agree with my flakey opinion" melts, should fuck off somewhere else. Go on, do it now. :pochbye: and don't come back, please.

Back
Top Bottom