Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They’ve got to release the audio of all three decisions over the weekend. The palace hand ball, the Bournemouth game and the Newcastle penalty. I think the palace hand ball is the worst decision of the lot but the Bournemouth one needs further explanation from the idiots running the game. It was all due to drawing the lines wrong apparently.

They’ve got to release the audio of all three decisions over the weekend. The palace hand ball, the Bournemouth game and the Newcastle penalty. I think the palace hand ball is the worst decision of the lot but the Bournemouth one needs further explanation from the idiots running the game. It was all due to drawing the lines wrong apparently.
Thats only if the dippers ask for it

t3h8KBs.png

CHECK COMPLETE - Yes, they are idiots.

The Palace one, the handball, it was absolutely clear. As said above you can see it deflects twice; once off the chest then again off the arm. It is clear to see the second deflection. It definitely hit his arm, there is no debate there. I've no idea why they chose to allow it because by rule that was a handball.

You only need one angle that shows definitive proof of the handball, and it was right there. They looked at it, rewound and replayed several times, then thought ahh fuck it lets allow the goal anyway.

The Bournemouth offside one was a farce because they took so long and initially got it wrong, but at least in the end they got to the right decision. That's a mess of routine but the final decision was right.

Don't know how it took more than about 30 seconds to do that, 5m30 is outrageous, but the right decision was at least made, it was definitely offside.

Do people actually remember how badly we were getting screwed prior to VAR? it was almost on a weekly basis we had absolutely ridiculous decisions go against us to the point it looked corrupt. I mean Leicester for a start would not have been crowned champions (Simpson admitting that Clattenburg stating he didn't send a Leicester player off because "he wanted them to win it" confirm this).

For all VAR's faults it at least makes officials somewhat accountable rather then blaming "human error" and getting away with flat out corruption (anyone actually believe the lino didn't think Mendes goal went in?).

Do people actually remember how badly we were getting screwed prior to VAR? it was almost on a weekly basis we had absolutely ridiculous decisions go against us to the point it looked corrupt. I mean Leicester for a start would not have been crowned champions (Simpson admitting that Clattenburg stating he didn't send a Leicester player off because "he wanted them to win it" confirm this).

For all VAR's faults it at least makes officials somewhat accountable rather then blaming "human error" and getting away with flat out corruption (anyone actually believe the lino didn't think Mendes goal went in?).

People have short memories

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8NwsdznXI

This is when I said things need to change, that decisions was absolutely horrific and no one made any noise about it because we won

How would VAR change that?

exactly! weve been fucked hard over the years by 'human error'! pedro mendes from the halfway line cost us europe that year i believe? thats fucking massive.

the nani goal against us where he handballed it, ref just let them score a goal after even tho it was a freekick. weve had loads of shit that VAR would of helped with.

the good thing about VAR is the decisions they do still get wrong are highlighted a lot stronger

exactly! weve been fucked hard over the years by 'human error'! pedro mendes from the halfway line cost us europe that year i believe? thats fucking massive.

the nani goal against us where he handballed it, ref just let them score a goal after even tho it was a freekick. weve had loads of shit that VAR would of helped with.

the good thing about VAR is the decisions they do still get wrong are highlighted a lot stronger
Like the deafening outrage about the palace goal? Or the son goal against Brentford,with the same the following week not getting VAR due to the high bar for overturning on field...etc

Like the deafening outrage about the palace goal? Or the son goal against Brentford,with the same the following week not getting VAR due to the high bar for overturning on field...etc
at least with VAR its possible for them to improve. take VAR out and youre back to 'human error' ruining games again. refs have already admitted to being intimidated by ferguson.

if you had someone like souness in VAR then 95% of the fouls/handballs and all the so called subjective shit would be sorted within seconds of him having a couple angles to look at. instead you got these fucking incompetent nerds who have clearly never played in any semi respectable competitive game in their life making decisions over shit they just dont understand.

get an ex league 1 pro in ffs. they would be far quicker and accurate....3 ex league 1 pros or whatever, any really tight ones its done on majority vote. they would sort it within 10 seconds and thats the really tricky ones that these morons look at 30 times and take 2 minutes

at least with VAR its possible for them to improve. take VAR out and youre back to 'human error' ruining games again. refs have already admitted to being intimidated by ferguson.

if you had someone like souness in VAR then 95% of the fouls/handballs and all the so called subjective shit would be sorted within seconds of him having a couple angles to look at. instead you got these fucking incompetent nerds who have clearly never played in any semi respectable competitive game in their life making decisions over shit they just dont understand.

get an ex league 1 pro in ffs. they would be far quicker and accurate....3 ex league 1 pros or whatever, any really tight ones its done on majority vote. they would sort it within 10 seconds and thats the really tricky ones that these morons look at 30 times and take 2 minutes
There will always be a cost to VAR that's ignored. Cost of var to the flow of the game outweighs The benefit. Give them an offside remit that they did for GL technology, near immediate and 99% accurate proved in the lower leagues then I could be onboard.

People only want common sense until they want consistency and vice versa.

There will always be a cost to VAR that's ignored. Cost of var to the flow of the game outweighs The benefit. Give them an offside remit that they did for GL technology, near immediate and 99% accurate proved in the lower leagues then I could be onboard.

It’s insanely hard to measure the cost of var interrupting the flow of the game vs the cost of getting more calls right.

I don’t think there’s an easy answer of which way is better as everyone seems to measure these two things differently.

To me, the increased accuracy of decision making gets nowhere near close to outweighing the impact on the game.

All goal celebrations are tempered by "Are they going to VAR it?" and that ruins the single most enjoyable part of watching football - the spontaneous explosion of a goal being scored.

Even if it was 100% accurate and only took one minute to complete, I'd still say it's ruining watching football. Especially when you're in the ground.

To me, the increased accuracy of decision making gets nowhere near close to outweighing the impact on the game.

All goal celebrations are tempered by "Are they going to VAR it?" and that ruins the single most enjoyable part of watching football - the spontaneous explosion of a goal being scored.
I agree that I have the same hesitation every time we score.

But I also don’t trust the league to not be corrupt and it would be much easier to get away with corruption without replay.

Still is but we have to wait 5 minutes to be screwed over

I agree you can't have both but they can do a far better job what they're doing now, rules should be in place but you don't want referees to be fully automated either.

The Man City and Newcastle pens were this weekend VAR should have not intervened

Even if it was 100% accurate and only took one minute to complete, I'd still say it's ruining watching football. Especially when you're in the ground.
:var:

CHECK COMPLETE - I can award you an AGREE.

I go to something like 60% of games (home & away) and it's always this horrible feeling that any time we score you slightly mute yourself until the other team has kicked off to restart play. It really does spoil things and the vast majority of the goals overturned are for extremely marginal calls that you would normally just accept (and in fact wouldn't even know for sure without all the drawing of lines)... so I really don't think the improvement in accuracy is even particularly relevant. It's all downside IMO, especially given goal-line technology has completely resolved the "is it over the line" issue.

Back
Top Bottom