Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching the decision during the Bournemouth V Burnley game just now makes me really see what a farce it is. First of all, the decision took forever. But more than this, they draw the lines and initially it shows he’s onside. Then they mess around for a few more minutes and redraw the lines to show he’s offside, as a final decision.

So you know, they don’t know when the ball is actually passed, and don’t know when or where they should draw the lines. It’s entirely ridiculous.

And of course, that’s on top of all the other issues (it’s not clear and obvious, there’s no advantage gained by a player being fractionally offside, etc.).

I have always thought this.

Basically all var has done has taken it from three people who can potentially make a mistake on the pitch and increased it to another three sat in a studio. So all they’ve done is amplify the balls ups as much as any decision they can get right. It is just silly.

Watching the decision during the Bournemouth V Burnley game just now makes me really see what a farce it is. First of all, the decision took forever. But more than this, they draw the lines and initially it shows he’s onside. Then they mess around for a few more minutes and redraw the lines to show he’s offside, as a final decision.

So you know, they don’t know when the ball is actually passed, and don’t know when or where they should draw the lines. It’s entirely ridiculous.

And of course, that’s on top of all the other issues (it’s not clear and obvious, there’s no advantage gained by a player being fractionally offside, etc.).
It took five mins apparently LOL

Not fit for purpose, no debate

I have always thought this.

Basically all var has done has taken it from three people who can potentially make a mistake on the pitch and increased it to another three sat in a studio. So all they’ve done is amplify the balls ups as much as any decision they can get right. It is just silly.
And the three maggots in the studio don’t have the ebb and flow of the game, nor the run up to a decision. Why is still being used?

I can absolutely live with refs making, non-VAR, wrong decisions in split second decisions. It's a part of the game, and imho an intriguing part in itself. So, not a go at refs, but what the actual fuck. Beyond a joke at this point.

VAR has to, has to, has to go. It serves zero purpose. Unless the purpose is to cause prolonged stoppages, controversy, and maybe even conspiracy theories.

I can absolutely live with refs making, non-VAR, wrong decisions in split second decisions. It's a part of the game, and imho an intriguing part in itself. So, not a go at refs, but what the actual fuck. Beyond a joke at this point.

VAR has to, has to, has to go. It serves zero purpose. Unless the purpose is to cause prolonged stoppages, controversy, and maybe even conspiracy theories.
I don’t completely agree because I’ve thought VAR has been spot on in international tournaments (euros and WC) and pretty decent in the champions league and other leagues.

Then in England it’s just a total disaster. Says to me that it’s just English reffing that is a disgrace. Just look at the two calf rakes yesterday that weren’t even yellow cards. These refs are going by made up rules like “don’t book a player inside 10 minutes” instead of actually reffing by the laws.

I don’t completely agree because I’ve thought VAR has been spot on in international tournaments (euros and WC) and pretty decent in the champions league and other leagues.

Then in England it’s just a total disaster. Says to me that it’s just English reffing that is a disgrace. Just look at the two calf rakes yesterday that weren’t even yellow cards. These refs are going by made up rules like “don’t book a player inside 10 minutes” instead of actually reffing by the laws.
Exactly

It actually further highlights their lack of control and decision making

Problem is rugby and cricket lend themselves to VAR. football doesn’t. It’s explosive, sudden, spontaneous. VAR just fucks it all up. It makes it so hard to give that sudden outpouring of emotion when your team scores. Immediately now most fans first reaction is “Will it go to VAR”. It is shit.

Problem is rugby and cricket lend themselves to VAR. football doesn’t. It’s explosive, sudden, spontaneous. VAR just fucks it all up. It makes it so hard to give that sudden outpouring of emotion when your team scores. Immediately now most fans first reaction is “Will it go to VAR”. It is shit.
The VAR decision in the Bournemouth v Burnley game today took over 5 minutes .

The fans in the stadium haven’t a fucking clue what is going on in making the decision .

Is that the way to treat paying customers ?

VAR is being implemented by totally incompetent individuals and is killing the beautiful game

It's pretty shocking in European games and similar criticisms in the Italian and Spanish leagues. It's not a England thing

Yeah Cricket and Rugby much slower, football isn't meant to be played with stoppages

The WC had a few shitshows as well. Whether it was more or less terrible decisions per match than the PL, I don't know. But there was categorically more bad decisions and unnecessary controversy over a, only, 64 match tournament for it to be called "spot on".

If it is less of an issue at international level, it could be because it's the best from each country. It's also troublesome in national leagues across Europe and South America, where I watch a fair bit. It isn't an English issue imho.

I’ve always thought it odd that they don’t allow the referee to go have a look at his on-field decision unless it’s going to be overturned. If they’re going to take 5 minutes to decide whether the ref should have a look, just phone down to him to go check immediately when there is any legitimate possibility of an overturn and they can sort it out together.

The on field ref will have a much easier time admitting he’s wrong rather than some bloke in an office telling the ref he’s wrong.

Could always make VAR a bit like challenges in Tennis?

The captain gets three challenges per half (or game) to call out something if they think it's worth calling out. Whether it be an offside decision, handball, bad challenge etc. If the referee/linesman have called it differently.

Reminds me of Wenger vs Jol !!
Wenger maybe, i consider big Martin more like:

Angry Leave Me Alone GIF by GritTV

The captain gets three challenges per half (or game) to call out something if they think it's worth calling out. Whether it be an offside decision, handball, bad challenge etc. If the referee/linesman have called it differently.
Would say max 1 per game

Being football, they'll abuse the system and use their allocation to waste time & break up play towards the end of the game.

Just get rid of this farce.

VAR is being implemented by totally incompetent individuals and is killing the beautiful game
You mean The Be - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - VAR CHECKING - POSSIBLE SPELLING MISTAKE - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - -

- - - - - - -

- - - - - -

- - - - - -

- - - - - -

CHECK COMPLETE - - - - - - autiful game.

The VAR in the Rugby match looks so so professional 👍🏼

Because they removed ego from the wording and protocols.

The PGMOL come off like they’ve never wanted VAR to work. More like they want to sabotage it.

Obviously if you say “clear and obvious error” then you make it look like a referee mistake instead of just using the tech to get the right decision.

The Rugby also have the microphone open from the moment they speak to the ref so it’s fully transparent.

Have you ask yourself why the PGMOL are so insistent on making it as opaque as possible.

Back
Top Bottom