Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this is yellow. It’s not that high (borderline) and a lot of the force is created by the Villa player also going into the tackle. The Chelsea player can’t control that and I don’t really think the tackle has excessive force.

Compared to the nketiah tackle where nketiah is creating all the force and vicario is stationary. The nketiah tackle is way worse… he just doesn’t completely catch vicario.

Things I like: The var sends him to the video and tells him what he saw but doesn’t try to persuade him (at first)

Don’t like:

so much chatter at the beginning. Why do they have to confirm with each other that the villa player chests the ball down? They should only speak up if it’s a violation. They seem to be constantly chatting about every little thing.

Once the ref gets to the monitor, just let him view the video and give his own opinion, ffs. There is so much persuading going on there. It’s very obvious why 99% of the time, the center just goes with the VAR.

Ankle buckles seemed to be the defining evidence here. But they completely ignored that the Villa player goes in with speed and that’s why his ankle buckles. Leaving the ground is really the only real reason i can see that a red is fair.

I've just had a good idea. Why not get rid of VAR?
We'll need to review that idea.

var auronplay GIF by TresDoce

Listened to a bit of Talkshite in the car this morning. Sam Matterface and their producer Luke ??? Never got his surname, Pillock probably. Both standing in for White & Jordan.

A week and half later and still going on about the VAR incident and Liverpool. Usual bollocks, nothing new — ex players should do VAR and so on.

Anyway, it finishes with this Luke Pillock saying that having listened to the audio recording, and the way the officials were speaking to each other, it reminded him of a black box recording recovered from a plane crash. And if he had heard that from a black box recording it would not have inspired him with confidence.

So now a mistakenly awarded offside decision during a game against Liverpool, is being compared to an air disaster/plane crash.

There’s nothing quite like keeping things in proportion is there. I’ll tune in tomorrow to see how they are going to weave it into the cause of the latest Israel-Palestine conflict.
This Liverpool-getting-on-the-wrong-end-of-VAR-for-the-first-time-ever, must be a debate for the Parliament surely???

Melissa Mccarthy Fight GIF by Saturday Night Live

I think this is yellow. It’s not that high (borderline) and a lot of the force is created by the Villa player also going into the tackle. The Chelsea player can’t control that and I don’t really think the tackle has excessive force.

Compared to the nketiah tackle where nketiah is creating all the force and vicario is stationary. The nketiah tackle is way worse… he just doesn’t completely catch vicario.

Things I like: The var sends him to the video and tells him what he saw but doesn’t try to persuade him (at first)

Don’t like:

so much chatter at the beginning. Why do they have to confirm with each other that the villa player chests the ball down? They should only speak up if it’s a violation. They seem to be constantly chatting about every little thing.

Once the ref gets to the monitor, just let him view the video and give his own opinion, ffs. There is so much persuading going on there. It’s very obvious why 99% of the time, the center just goes with the VAR.

Ankle buckles seemed to be the defining evidence here. But they completely ignored that the Villa player goes in with speed and that’s why his ankle buckles. Leaving the ground is really the only real reason i can see that a red is fair.

I think 10 or 20 years ago it is a good tackle. I have always felt that accidentally going over the top of the ball, after winning the ball cleanly, is a really really stupid thing to penalise.

I get that it causes an unnecessary injury here, but they are too keen dishing out reds even if the foot is low and doesn't make contact or injure an opponent.

You can see in real time it is an honest challenge, but don't say that in the Liverpool thread either by the way.

They are talking about broadcasting the commentary in the ground now…. This will be a bloody disaster and completely kill all at pops here. You will hear a pin drop as the crowd sit in absolute silence whilst these bullied at school, power ceased little twerps witter on and make themselves the centre of attention

Just f this mess off. Killing the game

Well then the keeper in Starks Starks post would have been sent off for saving the ball with his hip.
That's footie! Ya win some, ya lose some.

The one thing I know about VAR is that it's not part of the spirit of the game. To me, that's more important than some bleating, moaning goalie and his manager.

Don’t like:

I'm not sure I even classed it as a foul at the time. He won the ball cleanly just before the Villa player, and caught the Villa player just after towards the bottom of his foot.

I wouldn't even consider it 'catching him with his follow through', as the Villa player is putting his leg forward into the challenge at the same time.

A foul - possibly.
A yellow card - if you are being harsh.
A red card - fuck off.

Has there been any chatter about why the handball goal was allowed or did the league admit a mistake?

The Reddit thread of neutrals was about 90/10 that it was an obvious handball. There were 2 camera angles that showed the ball bouncing off his chest to the left and then the ball redirecting off what could only be the arm and sitting up perfectly for him to volley.

If it doesn’t hit his arm, his touch takes him left and he probably doesn’t get a shot off. It clearly benefited the attacker which doesn’t even matter because any contact with the hand by the goal scorer automatically rules out the goal.

I’d be very interested to hear the VAR audio for that. The clear and obvious bullshit is an imaginary line that basically means they can interpret whatever they want and hide behind that law.

If it wasnt a mistake and the league stands by the decision, do we really think that would have been given if it was against Liverpool at Anfield. No chance.

Has there been any chatter about why the handball goal was allowed or did the league admit a mistake?

The Reddit thread of neutrals was about 90/10 that it was an obvious handball. There were 2 camera angles that showed the ball bouncing off his chest to the left and then the ball redirecting off what could only be the arm and sitting up perfectly for him to volley.

If it doesn’t hit his arm, his touch takes him left and he probably doesn’t get a shot off. It clearly benefited the attacker which doesn’t even matter because any contact with the hand by the goal scorer automatically rules out the goal.

I’d be very interested to hear the VAR audio for that. The clear and obvious bullshit is an imaginary line that basically means they can interpret whatever they want and hide behind that law.

If it wasnt a mistake and the league stands by the decision, do we really think that would have been given if it was against Liverpool at Anfield. No chance.
I think the amount of time they took shows they know it was a handball, but there wasn't a conclusive angle which proved without doubt - it appears to slightly move on a couple of them whereas on another couple it was inconclusive.

It's like the Saka goal against Liverpool last year, there wasn't quite the angle to disallow it despite everyone suspecting it should be. I'm not angry at VAR on this one, it's not a howler IMO. Just an unfortunate circumstance of technology.

It's way more concerning that ten games in we've had two circumspect penalties awarded by VAR and not been given one ourselves, despite obvious opportunities.

I think the amount of time they took shows they know it was a handball, but there wasn't a conclusive angle which proved without doubt - it appears to slightly move on a couple of them whereas on another couple it was inconclusive.
Since when does every camera angle need to show that it hits his arm? You’ll almost never see every camera angle prove the decision.

There are 2 angles that show it certainly hits his chest before redirecting again off what looks like the arm (we even saw the var fast forwarding and rewinding when the change of direction occurred, so they 100% saw this). There is at least another angle from the side that shows it didn’t come off the thigh and only possibly could have come off the arm. The rest of the angles are inconclusive but none of them show that it does not come off the arm.

You don’t look at the inconclusive ones to make the decision; you look at the conclusive ones. They’ve used this same logic many times; why is it changed here?

I can easily see this call turning out differently for different teams.

Since when does every camera angle need to show that it hits his arm? You’ll almost never see every camera angle prove the decision.

There are 2 angles that show it certainly hits his chest before redirecting again off what looks like the arm (we even saw the var fast forwarding and rewinding when the change of direction occurred, so they 100% saw this). There is at least another angle from the side that shows it didn’t come off the thigh and only possibly could have come off the arm. The rest of the angles are inconclusive but none of them show that it does not come off the arm.

You don’t look at the inconclusive ones to make the decision; you look at the conclusive ones. They’ve used this same logic many times; why is it changed here?

I can easily see this call turning out differently for different teams.
The conclusive ones aren't clear enough. There wasn't an angle which blatantly shows it without doubt.

Watching the decision during the Bournemouth V Burnley game just now makes me really see what a farce it is. First of all, the decision took forever. But more than this, they draw the lines and initially it shows he’s onside. Then they mess around for a few more minutes and redraw the lines to show he’s offside, as a final decision.

So you know, they don’t know when the ball is actually passed, and don’t know when or where they should draw the lines. It’s entirely ridiculous.

And of course, that’s on top of all the other issues (it’s not clear and obvious, there’s no advantage gained by a player being fractionally offside, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom