Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s insanely hard to measure the cost of var interrupting the flow of the game vs the cost of getting more calls right.

I don’t think there’s an easy answer of which way is better as everyone seems to measure these two things differently.
I have an answer,its my opinion but it's without question watching pre and post VAR

I agree that I have the same hesitation every time we score.

But I also don’t trust the league to not be corrupt and it would be much easier to get away with corruption without replay.
If you believe in that level of corruption It gives another level for corruption. A touch to justify a penalty can be easily found

If you believe in that level of corruption It gives another level for corruption. A touch to justify a penalty can be easily found
Sure but it’s way easier to blame a bad call on one ref in real time instead of multiple refs looking at a dozen angles in slow motion.

The VAR calls that were rightly second guessed this week wouldn’t cause the same level of scrutiny if we were just relying on the center ref in real time.

Sure but it’s way easier to blame a bad call on one ref in real time instead of multiple refs looking at a dozen angles in slow motion.

The VAR calls that were rightly second guessed this week wouldn’t cause the same level of scrutiny if we were just relying on the center ref in real time.
That man city penalty. VAR justifies it. The Son penalty against Brentford VAR justifies it. VAR can justifying bad calls given the same way no VAR can excuse bad calls given.

If i thought there was corruption at this level, VAR wouldn't give me comfort it would be better

So apparently they won’t release VAR audio because it’s too chaotic (too many people talking at once) and us simpletons won’t understand it.

They don’t realize at all that trying to make a quick decision in a chaotic environment is going to lead to problems.

There’s no hope for these idiots.

I don’t completely agree because I’ve thought VAR has been spot on in international tournaments (euros and WC) and pretty decent in the champions league and other leagues.

Then in England it’s just a total disaster. Says to me that it’s just English reffing that is a disgrace. Just look at the two calf rakes yesterday that weren’t even yellow cards. These refs are going by made up rules like “don’t book a player inside 10 minutes” instead of actually reffing by the laws.

- Make the rule-book as black & white as possible..... It's become a fucking mess.
- Massively overhaul the ref training/education process....... Have them all sit an exam every pre-season to see that they're up to scratch with that season's iteration of the rule-book.

There's more than enough money in the game to put an end to the downward spiral in refereeing standards.

Treating the rule-book like a mere guidebook MUST stop. Letter of the law = consistency and the vast majority of the problem people have is inconsistency.... Handball, cards, obstructing dead-balls, holding in the box, diving etc.

Re: VAR - Keep it... It's a tool; once that can work.

- Get the up-to-date off-side tech; then if the offside is still too close for the naked eye with the video assistance then give the goal.
- If the VAR team can't come to a verdict in (eg) 90seconds then go with the decision of the on-field official.
- Bin the pitch-side screen. It's a fucking pantomime and serves no purpose other than to pass the buck back to the ref and preserve his ego.... If the VAR ref's lack the conviction to make a call then they're a waste of space.

Because they removed ego from the wording and protocols.

The PGMOL come off like they’ve never wanted VAR to work. More like they want to sabotage it.

Obviously if you say “clear and obvious error” then you make it look like a referee mistake instead of just using the tech to get the right decision.

The Rugby also have the microphone open from the moment they speak to the ref so it’s fully transparent.

Have you ask yourself why the PGMOL are so insistent on making it as opaque as possible.

It's a self-preserving little cabal keen to shroud what they do in order to maintain a sense of importance and exclusivity.

Their interests are to serve themselves; not the game.

At some point tech will be so impressive that we can bin the fucking lot of them....... They don't want that.

The WC had a few shitshows as well. Whether it was more or less terrible decisions per match than the PL, I don't know. But there was categorically more bad decisions and unnecessary controversy over a, only, 64 match tournament for it to be called "spot on".

If it is less of an issue at international level, it could be because it's the best from each country. It's also troublesome in national leagues across Europe and South America, where I watch a fair bit. It isn't an English issue imho.

Then it's a training/education problem that needs to be fixed regardless of VAR.

Eintracht Frankfurt vs Borussia Dortmund Sunday, Oct. 29th

Last Sunday we were awarded a penalty.
In the first half there was a foul in the penalty area and the Dortmund goalkeeper got his hands on our striker's hooves.
Clear foul!

Approximately 5 - 10 minutes later, the referee had decided "no foul" and the VAR reported.
The referee looks at the situation - for minutes, after which there are no plans - and decides "no foul".

Now it turns out that the VAR and his assistant did not show the clear images.

The chairman of Eintracht Frankfurt intervened in the discussion about "VAR yes or no" and said that it would be better if the people only switched on when there was a goal or no goal (but that is already monitored by the goal camera) and when there was an offside. They should stay away from everything else - it's no good!

Yes, you can do that!

High profile mistakes against Liverpool and Woolwich so far this season (stop laughing) only a matter of time before it happens to us.

They need to scrap it altogether IMO.

It's been done to us many times this season,

Ayew Handball
Maddison non pen against Sheffield Utd
Nketiah foul on Vicario
Son's foul that led to a pen against Brentford

etc...

We've just been good enough to make sure they don't become a story.

It's been done to us many times this season,

Ayew Handball
Maddison non pen against Sheffield Utd
Nketiah foul on Vicario
Son's foul that led to a pen against Brentford

etc...

We've just been good enough to make sure they don't become a story.
You could probably create a list for every club. It’s fucking basic, and not fit for purpose - compounded by the incompetent dweebs using it

It’s so draining. I have no idea why they aren’t serious about hacking it out.

You could probably create a list for every club. It’s fucking basic, and not fit for purpose - compounded by the incompetent dweebs using it

It’s so draining. I have no idea why they aren’t serious about hacking it out.

Because you'd be able to create an even bigger list for all clubs if we were VAR-less.

High profile mistakes against Liverpool and Woolwich so far this season (stop laughing) only a matter of time before it happens to us.

They need to scrap it altogether IMO.
There seems to be a lot less errors than there used to be before VAR. Just a lot of teeth gnashing because everyone expected perfection when it came in and forgot there’s still humans involved.

Because you'd be able to create an even bigger list for all clubs if we were VAR-less.
Is it worth it though? Agree there would be a bigger list but at least you could celebrate a goal without that empty feeling of doom pending

Still feel there’s better options…. Four linos as an example. Must be better alternative tech, seems to have been no advancements - it’s getting slower

Is it worth it though? Agree there would be a bigger list but at least you could celebrate a goal without that empty feeling of doom pending

That's the only thing that would be beneficial if it's scrapped.

But give it a year, people will be soon fed up with it when the lack of VAR highlights human error even worse than what we have in place now.

Back
Top Bottom