TOTTENHAM VS SUNDERLAND (JERMAIN DEFOE DERBY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lord, if you can somehow make everyone else lose this weekend that would be great
tumblr_lzs7dx2Oz81r9uuuso1_500.gif

Important to get the win today. Another 4-1 home win! Give credit to our squad, anyone can lose a game but every time we do we respond well. I always think it says more about the team as to how you respond to defeat than it does the defeat itself.

I thought BT were particularly harsh on us the first half. Sunderland defended well but we weren't as bad as they made out. Pickford still made two good saves, Alli missed a great chance and that Dembele 5 v 2 attack should have resulted in a goal so it isn't like we created nothing.
I think people forget games are 90 minutes long and we don't have to score 4 in the first 20-30 minutes before we need to start panicking.

Today was about being patient against a team that wanted a draw. We were patient, the chances came and so did the goals.

I also think far too much criticism is aimed at our squad for not scoring enough goals. "If Kane doesn't score, where are the goals going to come from?". I think Kane's scored just 12 of our 37 league goals this season so we're not struggling for goals in other areas.

There isn't a better partnership than Toby and Jan in the league. If Toby isn't the signing of the season I don't know who is. I know some will say Payet or whoever but Toby has been incredible and our defence has been stronger for it.

Good win and still well on target to reach our objectives for the season. Now over to everyone below us to close the gap and everyone above us to not slip up. We've done our part.

Good performance.

Dunno what was up with Eriksen in the first half, but he put it right in the second. Lamela, Kane, Dier decent. Quiet games generally for them.

Jan, Toby and Hugo their usual godly selves.

Onomah looked excellent in his cameo.

I was very impressed with Trippier today, so much so that I'd keep him there. And I love Kyle Walker. Worried he'd never realise his potential with us but he's looking settled and growing each game.

Last edited:
Not that i'm sympathising with Sunderland... any club managed by Big Sam deserves all they get...
but really, a 12.45 k.o for a game between two clubs at opposite ends of the Country really isn't fair. Des[ite what their fans may or may not be... having to get up at 3am or whatever, just 'cos TV decrees this is the game that the entire nation wants to eat their lunch with, really doesn't take into account the disruption those decisions cause to football fans up and down the land, week in-week-out.

Early kick-offs are notoriously bad for atmosphere etc. but at least put a mileage limit on what teams should play early... if only to increase the chances of a more local derby, which would, in turn, surely raise the Famous English Atmosphere TM that BT/Sky so desperately crave!!

It took an age to get going today... wouldn't be surprised if the players decided between themselves to score 2 goals in quick succession before HT just to wake everyone the fuck up!!

i wasn't able to see him because he passed away early in the morning. Maybe the worst day of my life if i can be honest. and thank you guys for the support.

Obviously didn't watched the game, but in a such dark day it was a nice little moment when checked my phone and saw that we won 4-1. did we played well?
Sorry to hear mate, my condolensces.

We played much better in the second half, was a frustrating first half with Sunderland opting to park the bus and keep things compact, we were too narrow but in the second half our full backs got forward more and a tactical brainfart from Big Sam going 3 at the back pretty much cost them the match.

Hope Porto can pick up all 3 points for you tomorrow too.

i wasn't able to see him because he passed away early in the morning. Maybe the worst day of my life if i can be honest. and thank you guys for the support.

Obviously didn't watched the game, but in a such dark day it was a nice little moment when checked my phone and saw that we won 4-1. did we played well?
sorry to hear your sad news mate:-(

One way to break these teams down is to score first then a second and force them out. We need to be clinical in front of goal.

Players as Dembele are important as he takes players on, disrupting their formation. You need to ask questions of their style- attack the weak link etc...?

Just a thought...
LC, first half, first defended in numbers and with this, disrupted our style by leaving the boot in after the ball had gone on every occasion, making players uncomfortable when receiving the ball. It creates a little more urgency and causes errors-we couldn't get control but believed we would second half.. Suddenly we lost control in the second half whilst we were trying to regroup, They attack with numbers, changing their game slightly. looking for the free kicks/corners and to create more confusion.- very clever. We struggle to adapt our game quickly and try to plod on. Maybe we should look at subs at half time and look to dominate from the off rather than give the same predicable play that allows the other team to change things and push us back? The Chaves would resort to LC way of playing without question and get the result.
dembele is crucial because he does things none of the others can do.
I think we are quite predictable & don't really have a great plan B yet.

good point about getting an early goal.
I remember utd under fergie. they used to go for it from the first whistle. waves of attacks.
usually they would get an earlyish goal & then it changes everything.
the longer it stays 0-0 the more the opposition start to feel more confident.
its just vital we get the goal in the first half when we do this.
we aren't especially creative or clinical. this is a big problem.

Pickford
Jones - O'Shea - Brown - Aanholt
Cattermole - M'Vila
Johnson - - - - - - -- - - - - - Lens
Graham - Defoe
This shouldn't even be close. Who the fuck is Pickford? Brown at centre half? Lee fucking Cattermole? Danny Graham up top? Fuck me.
Pickford? Oh, he's the young goalie you've never heard of who will probably have a worldie of a début against us before fading into oblivion and ending up playing in League 1.

still confused.............better than us - or better than Newcastle?

Ok not doing this every weekend Mick, I don't even know what the question is

I said that people should not be surprised we came back to win today, we have shown great consistency throughout season, rarely turned over, it was only fact Leicester frustrated us last week, knew our weaknesses and exploited us, on whole though most other teams cannot turn us over.

Back
Top Bottom