Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This, I think, has been the root of our issues this season. How many times has that spine been intact? You can rotate around the spine of the team & cover an injury/suspension short term, but I don't think that spine has played together at all since the start of the season. Even with the size of the squad, it has looked like square pegs in round holes too often.
And it's no reflection on Wanyama because I think he's brought the goods this season, but I'd really like to see Dier back in his "natural" role playing alongside Dembele and Alli.

Quite good company to be in:

UHezzZm.jpg

And we're having one of the toughest schedules yet with Watford and Woolwich having tougher.
fWAoE4x.png

not the kind of stats u lot are in to.
but does anyone know where i can find a site with a decent list of our top all time goalscorers.

the most i can find is top 10 on wiki. shows how bad i am at this stuff.
was looking for a longer list than top 10.
My Football Facts and Stats
The fella running this site is a Spurs fan too. He used to post in every match thread with all the past stats and facts about the fixture, the only thing worth reading TBH but think he got feed up with a certain bulldog cunting him off so alas post no more. If you like what you see and you are on twitter I recommend following him @myfootballfacts

This is a pretty good explanation of where the magic went for Southampton:

Shots from crosses are converted at the lowest-rate of all shot types. Basically because it's pretty hard to redirect a cross, rather than a throughball, and it's hard to get on the end of one in the first place. By relying on the least efficient way to make your chances, you wind up with a lot of futility.

I'd like to see a graph of our points per game since the start of the season. Momentum is important over a 38 match campaign and at the halfway point, Spurs have it.
Just knocked this up, so excuse the crude nature - but hopefully it displays what you're after? We're hovering at around 1.8ppg, but we've gone from 1.62 to 1.82ppg in the last four games alone. If we can make it to 20 games with 40 points, top4 is looking pretty good.

3kRUrC2.png

No on every level. States do not tell you how teams have play, they are cold mathematical numbrs reflecting half truths. A miss hit shot is seen as a shot on target. A ref/ linesmen getting it wrong does not appear on the states! When a team scores from a ref error or is given off side incorrectly, the game result ccan change. If we win the PL , who gives a toss how we played. Law of averages is , it when all evens itself out over a season . You get a decision this week, you dont next. States come from USA sport. We have embraced this nonesence-sorry. States are cold facts, no feelings or understanding of the game and can say anything you wish.

I love your direct style and your avatar, but have a word with your provider regarding their spell check function please, mate. No disrespect intended.

No idea what some of those statistics mean.

Though I must say, that Leicester and Liverpool article, like many statisticians, is laughable.

At the end of the day, if you only allow one shot on target per game, but it is a chance a blind man could not miss, you still suck. Statistics can never tell you the actual value of each number. They are never equal.

Tame Lennon shots on target twenty times a game will yield you no goals.

And each death on the battlefield does not reflect the true loss suffered.
Actually, quite a lot of football statisticians track shot quality.

Your ignorance shows, yet again.

I don't think you understand how they work.

There are two things. Statistics which are simple counting of actions taken (like shots, passes, goals), and calculations of probability based on past actions. The latter is what you seem to be talking about, but you don't seem to really understand how they work.

They don't say what will or won't happen. They don't "predict" things. They measure what is more, or less, likely to happen. Something really unlikely to happen (like Leicester winning the League) can still happen. It just isn't something which is a common or easily repeatable event.

That's how the bookies work. They use statistics to calculate what are the most probable outcomes, and then you bet against how likely or unlikely the bookies think those things are. Given that the bookies make good money, and punters usually lose a fair bit, it's safe to say that using statistics to measure what is likely or unlikely to happen in a football game is a real, and useful tool.

DAMMIT you're right!!

I guess what I'm getting at, and trying to avoid all notion of, is that STATISTICALLY (the one based on past events) we are likely to get very badly beaten on Sunday... going back before The Sheikhs got in, we used to do alright up there... but since then, bar that crazy aberration in 2010, the norm is we go there, get spanked, find some ballotelli reason why it was so unfair and come home again...

What I'm saying is that STATISTICS don't back up the weird optimism coursing through our veins at the moment... it's a head v heart situation... the stats from this season may look promising, but based on past events, and how things have often gone up there, doesn't look goid for us.
I don't wanna look at the stats from the past, 'cos I wanna go into Sunday with a SHRED of optimism. Not expect the Spursy and moan about how unfair it all is when it STATISTICALLY speaking, comes to pass... Thass all!

But yes, your explanation and reasoning behind how (and more importantly WHY) stats work is both insightful and useful. Thank you.

Oh, Abso-fucking-lutely. Gary Neville buggering off to take Valencia down basically meant that short of Alan Shearer suddenly picking up on the stuff (he actually does follow a stats-guy on twitter, so who knows), there is no one on UK TV who is about to move the game on.

But at some point, it's coming. Some Bundesliga and Spanish TV broadcasts have used xG shot maps in their analysis, and Wenger can only mention expected goals so many times in press conferences before the journos in the audience have to start trying to explain things to their readers.
I think that UK fans are somehow more resistant to such stats than, say, Spanish or German fans. In the same way that they've proved to be resistant to tactical innovations entering our game like false nines, inverted wingers etc. There's a strong ingrained belief here that the traditional way of looking at the game is the best ("we'll play four-four-fucking-two!"). Sky and MOTD know that, so they're reluctant to over-intellectualise their coverage.

I think the Elephant in the room is this;
why, on any given Saturday/Sunday... do we go to games, sometimes with that weird feeling of confidence (that knows no statistical limits) that we will win today... "I can just feel it in my water"
Then on any other given Saturday/Sunday... do we go to games, (against statistically beatable opposition) with that horrible, gut-wrenching feeling, that everything is about to go wrong...
STATISTICS don't back that feeling up, they just make it worse by proving to us what should've happened!

That's where STATISTICS and real life tend to get in the way of one another...

...and I think that's the point i've been trying to make all along!

FINALLY... and against all the statistical odds... I've managed it!
I think he answered this by pointing out that statistics don't predict outcomes. In other words, they don't predict what will happen today, they approximate what would happen, say, if today occurred 100 times.

Your point is akin to saying, "yeah but If a flush is a statistically good poker hand then how did I have a flush and lose?"

Back
Top Bottom