Thread Where We Can Talk Shit About Other Clubs’ Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another thought on release clauses.

I wonder how much of it is affected by payment structure and add-ons. I.E. if a club "matches" the release clause, but wants to structure those payments over 5 years, can the club still say "fuck off!"?

Is the release clause technically an up front fee, and from there it's just a matter of negotiating around? So, if the release clause is E30m, and Spurs offer 15m up front and 15m amortized over 4 years, is there still a right of refusal, or is it just a matter of both clubs manning up and realizing that it's just a formality at that point, so then R. Sociedad responds "if you change your structure to 20m up-front and 10m structured then we will honor the terms of the release clause"? I.E. even with "iron-clad" release clauses, is there still a degree of leeway as far as to how those terms are interpreted, and to which release clauses are considered a matter of principle that has not been tested in the courts?

My thoughts are that there would be the implicit threat of legal action after that point, countered by the desire of all clubs to not have these issues dragged through the courts and have potentially significant legal precedent be set that could cast additional scrutiny on to the transfer activities of the clubs.

Monaco have a massive H-hhhames Rodriguez shaped hole to fill now, lads - plus CL football on offer

Doubt we stand a chance

Outside of Champs league and high wages, i'm aware that these are two massive things players look for, Monaco's team now as it stands looks pretty shitty. Unless they pull some really quality players next season, I don't see them being a threat to PSG.

Another thought on release clauses.

I wonder how much of it is affected by payment structure and add-ons. I.E. if a club "matches" the release clause, but wants to structure those payments over 5 years, can the club still say "fuck off!"?

Is the release clause technically an up front fee, and from there it's just a matter of negotiating around? So, if the release clause is E30m, and Spurs offer 15m up front and 15m amortized over 4 years, is there still a right of refusal, or is it just a matter of both clubs manning up and realizing that it's just a formality at that point, so then R. Sociedad responds "if you change your structure to 20m up-front and 10m structured then we will honor the terms of the release clause"? I.E. even with "iron-clad" release clauses, is there still a degree of leeway as far as to how those terms are interpreted, and to which release clauses are considered a matter of principle that has not been tested in the courts?

My thoughts are that there would be the implicit threat of legal action after that point, countered by the desire of all clubs to not have these issues dragged through the courts and have potentially significant legal precedent be set that could cast additional scrutiny on to the transfer activities of the clubs.
I think the contract has to be bought out fully, can't be spread over some seasons. So yes, they could refuse 15 up front and then 15 over 4 years.

Oh god could you imagine...

[formation=4411, Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Davies, Lamela, Schneiderlin, Eriksen, Di Maria, Adebayor, Soldado][/formation]
X5aqy.gif

Would he want to go to Monaco? Ligue 1 isn't as good as La Liga, the crowds at Monaco are AWFUL and the squad there itself isn't that great. Of course that might change with the addition of CL but apart from Moutinho/Falcao they don't have a great squad there... of course they will offer him a shitload of money too though

Compare that to playing in the biggest league in the world for a team in London that has actual support (away from home anyway :D) and a young/ambitious side.. we have the France NT's captain who seems to be a role model or mentor for Griezmann (consoled him after going out to Germany).. the price of 24m is nothing IMO, for a player of his talent and today's market it is a bargain. Really hope we get him but Monaco have to be the faves

Back
Top Bottom