The players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The players are not fit because they were made to play in pointless mid week games. We should have used fringe players and youth in recent EL games. We are paying the price for over working certain players.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that playing football makes you unfit?

dawson is fucking shit as well.

once ledley was gone from his side, its all too clear how average he is.

Maybe so but if you look at our results after a Thursday game they are not good reading.
We lost to spam after a Thursday night game, we lost to Woolwich after a Thursday night game, we lost to Newcastle after a Thursday night game, we lost to Liverpool after a Thursday game.
So our players do have a problem with playing twice in a week.
I agree it shouldn't, but it does.

That Fulham game that ultimately lost us 4th spot last season was in that bracket too.

That Fulham game that ultimately lost us 4th spot last season was in that bracket too.

Correct, yes it was.
And that's why it worries me. I've always been, if you're in a competition you should go out to win it, but that has changed the last couple,of years.
I want a seperate team for the EL, let the fringe players and youngsters see what they can do in it.

It, shouldn't, but the EL has really affected us.

So players who should go...
Friedel, Naughton, Kaboul, Defoe, Gomes, Adebayor, Rose (Sick of him constantly being injured), Dawson...

I would include some of the newer players in that too, but I feel it is too soon to judge. For what it is worth, I would of included Lamela and Capoue in the list.

Build the team around 3 players. Lloris, Sandro and Vertonghen. The rest of the places are up for grabs.

So players who should go...
Friedel, Naughton, Kaboul, Defoe, Gomes, Adebayor, Rose (Sick of him constantly being injured), Dawson...

I would include some of the newer players in that too, but I feel it is too soon to judge. For what it is worth, I would of included Lamela and Capoue in the list.

Build the team around 3 players. Lloris, Sandro and Vertonghen. The rest of the places are up for grabs.

If you were brutally honest you could also say that Lloris is dodgy, Sandro injury prone and Vertonghen is too slow.

The players are not fit because they were made to play in pointless mid week games.
How are we going to compete in the CL then (when we get there)? CL games are also played midweek.
How is saturday-tuesday/sunday-wednesday different from thursday-sunday?
Will we have to rest half our squad for the CL games as well? Or the PL games? Play U21s against Zenit, Porto & Shakhtar?

How are we going to compete in the CL then (when we get there)? CL games are also played midweek.
How is saturday-tuesday/sunday-wednesday different from thursday-sunday?
Will we have to rest half our squad for the CL games as well? Or the PL games? Play U21s against Zenit, Porto & Shakhtar?

That's a fair point..
I just hope it's becuase the EL is a step down and they are not motivated enough.
We did ok when we were in the CL last time as the players were up for the whole season.

This is what I thought as well. Everyone (fans+media+Rodgers) are saying Liverpool played their best match ever. I think any team in the PL would've beaten us yesterday. We were a crap team and they took the ball from us.
Yeah.

It's like saying we were world class when we beat Wigan 9-1 or whatever. We were not.

We just moved the ball quickly and had a bunch of chances.

I dunno, with so many new players, and ones who probably didn't go out knowing much about the Spurs way I think it's difficult to expect them to understand it within a few months.

But, having said that, I think the real problem is that most footballers these days are there for the paycheque and I don't think it matter if it's at Spurs or anywhere else. They just see it as a well paid job rather than an old style competition to go out and win with passion. It's a game wide problem, not just one at Spurs. Players like Holtby are fast becoming the minority.

I dunno, with so many new players, and ones who probably didn't go out knowing much about the Spurs way I think it's difficult to expect them to understand it within a few months.

But, having said that, I think the real problem is that most footballers these days are there for the paycheque and I don't think it matter if it's at Spurs or anywhere else. They just see it as a well paid job rather than an old style competition to go out and win with passion. It's a game wide problem, not just one at Spurs. Players like Holtby are fast becoming the minority.

I know it sounds a bit 'Hollywood Movie plot'... but surely, as part of EVERY player's 'initiation' into the club, as well as making them sing Karaoke at the training ground so that Kyle Walker can upload it and get lots of 'likes'... shouldn;t they simply play them summit like this;

...and if they'r gonna sing anything at the Karaoke night, it should be Macnamara's Band!

Last edited:
That's a fair point..
I just hope it's becuase the EL is a step down and they are not motivated enough.
We did ok when we were in the CL last time as the players were up for the whole season.
We also had one of the best players in the world in the team too!!

He mustn't have seen an inconsolable Lewis Holtby.

What Ginola said still applies to the rest of them.

One thing is not "responding to the manager". Another issue altogether is not responding to getting shat at on their own turf by Raheem Sterling and Jordan f*cking Henderson.

Change a few names here and there and you wouldn't even know this wasn't from today.

Back
Top Bottom