The players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AberdeenYid

I'm very rarely proud of myself
AVB has got questions to answer and he may well be on his way out.

However, the guys on the field today should take the brunt of the blame. I'd except Lloris, Walker, Chadli and Soldado.

Dawson and Capoue are good enough to stay beside Suarez when he starts running towards goal, surely?

Naught on was a disaster. Fryers not much better.

Dembele shouldn't have bothered turning up. Sandro should admit when he isn't fit and Paulinho was a fucking idiot to get sent off.

And how many chances do we give Lennon? He should have torn that wee car stereo thief a new arse today and did fuck all.

Fuck playing for the manager, they should play for us. Useless cunts.

I'm looking forward to the next round of "We'll bounce back" and "we'll do it for the fans" statements.

I say "looking forward to," I actually mean not really looking forward to at all.

I say "not really looking forward to at all," I mean I'd rather cover my knob in honey and deep dick a beehive.

We can talk manager (soon to be managers, I expect) all we may, but when players like Naughton, Dembele, Lennon and Paulinho turn up (or not) like this today, no wonder we struggle to beat even relegation zone teams.

Aberdeen is spot on. Players should at very least play for us, at home. Tactics, injuries, opposition aside, they should have a proper go, at very least.

We have so many bottlers in this team it is unreal. One doesn't even know where to begin.

Also I see Dawson getting bailed out for his lack of pace, as if it's a saving grace being a slow professional footballer. Which would be good and dandy, I suppose, if it wasn't for the fact that all of his many gaffes today were due to awful positioning and absurd decision making, not pace or lack of it. He was the most capped, most app'ed, longest serving and oldest player in that defence, let alone a club captain. And it was still he who needed helping out. Not with the pace, just being in the proper fucking place at the proper fucking time. But he is so good clearing high balls you say. Oh really? Is that why Liverpool spent all game sending high balls over the defence with ease, no defenders trying to clear and nobody trying to play the runners offside? Brilliant. Just took the biscuit for Sterlings goal, when the ball bounced in from the left, Lennon desperately trying to mark 2 players at the 6 yard box, Dawson not marking, not blocking, not pressing. Just standing around at the near post ball watching. Sorry, but when you defend like that, I don't give a shit if you look angry flapping your arms when we concede our 3rd, 4th, 5th goals and THEN clap the fans afterwards. I thought we got rid of sentimental losers attitudes like that when we flogged Keane.

Paulinho? Good thing he got a ban. Will force the managers hand. Was diabolical until the red card no matter where he played.

Lennon? Poor old Lennon is back. A winger, whose prime asset is pace, failed to make one single good run in behind the fullback to find space for the good deep pass. He'd rather wait outside on the touchline, standing around to wait for the ball to feet, then get pressed back or inside by some random teenage scouse fullback played out of position.

Dembele? Do not get me started.

Naughton? Neither.

Chadli, Walker, Hugo and possible Soldado(how much work did he do today!) are the only one to take any credit at all from today. The rest should be donating their match bonuses to local charities. Absolutely shameful.

Naughton isn't Prem quality in my view but I do think it is very unfair to play the lad at LB of all positions.
If only he looked this dangerous on the pitch...

article-0-1A0A3347000005DC-255_634x503.jpg

Ginola accuses Spurs stars of failing to respect history of club

Ginola says Villas-Boas' departure should not cloud the fact that the players have shown a lack of pride in the shirt this season.

“You need to understand the history of the club,” said the Spurs legend.

“Who were the former players? Who are legends of the club? You have to understand where you are.

“When you are wearing the jersey, it is not only about your wages. It is not thinking only of yourself.

“When I was there on Sunday, I felt for the fans. They lost 5-0 and I was there thinking this is absolutely terrible because I didn’t see any reaction.

“At this time I look at the players and think you don’t understand what it is all about. Football is not that.”

Well said.:ledley:

AVB has got questions to answer and he may well be on his way out.

However, the guys on the field today should take the brunt of the blame. I'd except Lloris, Walker, Chadli and Soldado.

Dawson and Capoue are good enough to stay beside Suarez when he starts running towards goal, surely?

Naught on was a disaster. Fryers not much better.

Dembele shouldn't have bothered turning up. Sandro should admit when he isn't fit and Paulinho was a fucking idiot to get sent off.

And how many chances do we give Lennon? He should have torn that wee car stereo thief a new arse today and did fuck all.

Fuck playing for the manager, they should play for us. Useless cunts.

Thanks for posting as reflected the game I saw today. It honestly looked like they were drugged. Lennon's and Naughton's performances were the worst performances I have EVER seen anyone play in a Spurs shirt. Naughton is a poor player playing out of position, Lennon however couldn't give a shit today, which is totally unacceptable.

Lloris - Made one mistake in the first half but instantly atoned for it with a nice save from Suarez and by and large he kept us in the game for large periods by being quick off his line - 7

Walker - Was fantastic in my opinion and has been all season, he is just about the only player who looks like he cares, he very rarely gets beaten by his man and his positioning is, slowly but surely, getting better. He looked more threatening than Azza going forward whilst being solid at the back as well. - 7

Dawson - Was found out in a big way today and I don't necessarily think that this was entirely down to Suarez, I partly blame the system for his performance as he is clearly not a centre back that is adept at playing a high line he just isn't quick enough. His distribution is god awful, those cross field balls are doing my head in and he very rarely completes one. - 3

Capoue - Absolutely anonymous today, the Liverpool players were walking past him like he wasn't even there he certainly didn't make Dawson's job any easier. I think he was found out big time as a centre back today after two relatively easy rides in his last two games there. On top of that his passing today was horrific he must've given the ball away four times inside the first five minutes of the first half. - 3

Naughton - Probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a Spurs player, he runs around his left foot like it is a fucking maypole and cannot defend for his life. Sterling made him look like a pub team player today, feel slightly sorry for him as he is clearly not a left back but there are no excuses for a performance as diabolical as that. - 1

Sandro - Difficult to judge his performance today because of the early injury but even for the short amount of time he was on the pitch he was largely invisible and didn't have his usual impact on the game. - 4

Paulinho - Stupid sending off, can't say much more than that due to the fact that he didn't do a lot more than that, a couple of nice flicks but that is about it. - 5

Chadli - Didn't think he had a particularly bad game and looked semi-threatening down the left at times, kept the ball fairly well and did his fair share of tracking back. Not one for the purists but a decent game today. - 6

Lennon - Possibly his worst performance in a Spurs shirt for a very very long time, didn't threaten Flanagan much if at all and when he did he either failed to get a cross in or the cross that he did get in was very poor. Didn't seem to give Walker much help defensively which is strange and just didn't look up for it today. -4

Soldado - I continue to sympathise with him, purely because he is not getting anywhere near the service a striker of his quality deserves, he worked fairly hard today and made some decent runs but still needs better support if he is ever gonna be a regular scorer for Spurs. - 6

Holtby - Almost managed to swing the game in our favour when he came on but just couldn't do it by himself, put himself about a bit and moved the ball quickly and effectively, still not fantastic but looked like he actually wanted to play and gave his all. A travesty that he didn't start. - 7

Fryers - Nothing wrong but nothing that right. - 5

Townsend - Looked mildly threatening when he came on but didn't have enough time to really impose himself on the game. - 5

Everytime I think about him, I just get more angry. Surely this can't be normal?

I feel sorry for the poor fucker.
It's not his fault he is shit, and it's not his fault the manager picks him out of position.
I honestly would not be surprised if he burst out crying after the double team spit roast he got.

His spurs carer is over.

Unfit might be the wrong word. It makes you tired and your muscles don't have enough time to rest.. Any knocks you have don't have time to heal.
The team we put out last Thursday was mental.

You and me might have trouble but if a professional player can't play a couple of games a week there's something wrong and that Anzhi game was nothing more than a training session.

According to the story Eriksen and Vertonghen supported Kane. The next few games will either support or dismiss it. What we know is that Kaboul, Capoue and Ade were conspicuous by their absence yesterday.
Thats good if true! Tbh I don't want our team to be in different camps but I hope this story is true just so the people who don't put every effort they have in playing for us can FUCK RIGHT OFF!

Agree with much of what has been said, but seriously, where do we go from here? Here and now! Realistically, who comes in! Who would any one of us not bought, any of the new players, that have been bought! If I remember rightly, 3-4 months ago, we were all upbeat about this season. I,m fu**ed off (understatement) with today's result, but we are still only 6 points (2 wins, where others may fail) off of top 4! Well over half a season to go! I don't think it would be wise to panic/react in a negative way! We showed character and determination after City. We can do it again against Southampton, WBA and Stoke! With others (no one is flying) potentially dropping points, we could be right back in the mix!

As frustrated as I am, I can not right off or c**t off the season, manager and players just yet!!

COYS!!

Not sure the players we had out there yesterday are, fully fit we might be better but with only 1 of the back 4 we had is first choice imo.

The players are not fit because they were made to play in pointless mid week games. We should have used fringe players and youth in recent EL games. We are paying the price for over working certain players.

The main question I have is that why did AVB persist with the high line defence with a midfielder who obviously hadn't a clue what to do, Dawson was left horribly exposed, as he was with an unfit Kaboul against City as well.

I know it sounds a bit 'Hollywood Movie plot'... but surely, as part of EVERY player's 'initiation' into the club, as well as making them sing Karaoke at the training ground so that Kyle Walker can upload it and get lots of 'likes'... shouldn;t they simply play them summit like this;

...and if they'r gonna sing anything, it should be Macnamara's Band!

Watching the first video reminds me how much was happier as a fan back in the days of Teddy, Klinsmann, Ginola et al. Things seemed simpler back then. As if we didn't have to worry about aiming high and could just tag along for the ride.

Back
Top Bottom