Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with 6 days until the big kick off we've signed none of them. Wouldn't it have been nice if just for one transfer window Levy had put our shortcomings on the pitch before his legendary penny pinching brinkmanship

How exactly do you know that Levy is penny pinching!?

Why do you think it's so simple that we could just sign players the moment we want to and it's just a matter of Levy not wanting to yet?

Have you ever sat and considered that players and selling clubs are the reason we aren't getting all of our business done early because THEY are holding things up and waiting to see if the get a better offer/price?

For instance We have never sold to Madrid or UTD until the last minute and there is a good reason for that.

Have some perspective.

Last edited:
If we're really trying to sign Bender then i'm quite frankly scared we won't sign a centre midfielder. Bender isn't coming here...his manager said yesterday he isn't leaving...even if a fee was agreed i'm sure Gooner scum will swoop in. I'd rather we focus on realistic targets to be honest.

If we're really trying to sign Bender then i'm quite frankly scared we won't sign a centre midfielder. Bender isn't coming here...his manager said yesterday he isn't leaving...even if a fee was agreed i'm sure Gooner scum will swoop in. I'd rather we focus on realistic targets to be honest.
I see what ur saying but I doubt we are just focused on one signing. I'd expect we are negotiating for Bender hoping we can get him but are also negotiating for alternatives in case it doesn't come off.

That's what I'd hope anyway.

How about you read the post that I quoted when I made my remarks. He was asking for the WoW factor - the 25 yard screamers that you would remember - not the consistent, high quality, free flowing attacking football. In my opinion we had the wow factor, mostly from Kane, Eriksen and Chadli. They delivered high quality goals quite often when we needed them. I do agree though, that we should hope for more consistent, quality attacking football. I think we will see that if Poch and our players are given more time and if we get someone to perform on the right side of our AM three.
j
just shows how we view things differently.

last season some think we were an exciting team to watch.

the neutrals fans i know were all taking the piss out of me for how boring we are to watch.
cant sleep? il stick a spurs match on.

doesnt mean they are right.
but i do agree. the majority of games i found us very boring.

if i was a neutral fan i dont think id have bothered watching spurs much compared to some other teams i dont support.
sounds weird but most of us watch other non spurs matches on tv.

also the majority of spurs fans i know found us a bore to watch.

i think the last word id associate with last seasons performances is exciting.

Because Spurs are the bestist

harrye134qt2.8333.jpg

I would not mind but to think the season starts in six days times and for the management team to think the squad is good enough to go to places like United away is pretty shocking really.Glad to get the deadwood out but new players coming in is shocking basically sacking August off and just hoping we can pick up points

One thing that I'd like to point out.

The club has come out and said that although they'd like to do business early, inevitably much of it will be done in the last 2 weeks due to the nature of the market.

Therefore it is silly to keep moaning about players we may or may not be missing out on at the moment. If the club said we were looking for players ASAP then it would be understandable to be angry at missed opportunities but that is not the case.

So either,

- be angry that the club wishes to leave it to the last 2 weeks, in which case call Levy a cunt and move on.

or

- sit tight and be patient

You can't have it both ways by saying we're going to leave it too late (last 2 weeks) to do business whilst moaning about missed "targets" that we're not signing right now.

There's good reason to expect some signings. Our recruitment team will have identified multiple targets in case of last minute fuck ups. Levy generally backs a manager in their second season.

Take that as gospel if you want but as much as it is partly the nature of the market, it also depends how you're approaching it and who your targets are. If we have these multiple targets already, and surely we do as the Poch/Mitchell wonder player-spotting combo raved about is not leaving it down to do some spotting in the last 3-4wks(?!?), then they can't all be needing to wait until after the season starts. The fuck ups are definitely going to be last minute if you leave it until the last minute!

There is quite a precedent of transfer window let downs, more of them than signing Rafa at zero-hour or spunking the Bale money before we had it. The others are all usually far more like this one so far. Different approach supposedly this time but same late preparation and still a glitchy pre-season in a few ways; no home games for the new squad members to get a feel for WHL, last minute high profile friendlies and travel, Kane our only real striking option and, even one of the kids we're putting a lot of faith in has been injured for 2months!

It's not all doom and gloom but it's all to be considered and it's not melting or being spoilt to raise it on a forum and be objective about it. It also isn't saying we must go out and spend £50m net like high-and-mighty idiots always revert to accusing.

I think if we see some amazing last minute deals that are dependent on it being the latter part of the window then fine we've been lucky...sorry, I mean Levy is a genius....,if we see deals that have no obvious reason for being late then you'd have to say we've extended the need-to-gel-period further into the season.

How exactly do you know that Levy is penny pinching!?

Why do you think it's so simple that we could just sign players the moment we want to and it's just a matter of Levy not wanting to yet?

Have you ever sat and considered that players and selling clubs are the reason we aren't getting all of our business done early because THEY are holding things up and waiting to see if the get a better offer/price?

For instance We have never sold to Madrid or UTD until the last minute and there is a good reason for that.

Have some perspective.
Fucking Hell man. You talk about having some perspective! .We have been here time and time again. We are the 12th richest club in the world. Surely we should/could be going into the first game of the season with a stronger squad than what we have. Even the most optimistic Levy supporter must surely see that. Why is it that any criticism of the chairman is frowned up on so much. I just don't get all this Levy love. I really don't. I'm not having a go mate. But could anything happen or not happen in this window that would lead to justified criticism of Levy. Or is he completely untouchable.

So I think I have this:
  1. Old Trafford is a place where we, historically, struggle, meaning even a point is a good result.
  2. Man U, as this thread keeps reminding us, "got their business done correctly: early" and are going to do the treble because of their spending.
  3. Meaning a point is even further out of reach, as the Schei's will lead them to an invincible season.
  4. Yet unless Levy buys a player in 15 minutes, we're not showing proper ambition and destroying the season on the very first day.
  5. Because we're sending a half-cocked side to Old Trafford.
  6. Where we, historically, struggle, meaning even a point is a good result.
Right. Fuck Levy.

Not clever, just a loser's attitude. Yes United are historically stronger than us but it's first day of the season and it would be prudent to be as prepared as possible, as strong as possible and maximise the chances of a good result, a win in fact should be the aim not the fucking pipe-dream.

Regardless of that tripe, you realise that the sales of Ade and Soldado that the majority are clamouring for to be done yesterday would leave just Kane? One little strain in training or in either of two games in midweek or, even getting flu or a sickness bug before going away to Old Trafford and we are fucked mate. Then let's see how clever and acceptable it is to leave a squad so thin in key positions for the start of the season.

Last edited:

Why do you think its easier to sign players in the last 2 weeks? Cos Levy said so?

Hmmmmmm, why could it be cheaper easier closer to deadline day? Hmmmmmmmm, racking my brains?

Fucking Hell man. You talk about having some perspective! .We have been here time and time again. We are the 12th richest club in the world. Surely we should/could be going into the first game of the season with a stronger squad than what we have. Even the most optimistic Levy supporter must surely see that. Why is it that any criticism of the chairman is frowned up on so much. I just don't get all this Levy love. I really don't. I'm not having a go mate. But could anything happen or not happen in this window that would lead to justified criticism of Levy. Or is he completely untouchable.
Equally why is it anyone that suggests levy is getting undue stick is a "Levy Lover". Not everything is black and white.

Levy has his faults but the same old lazy criticism come out every window as if people have no grasp on our status and the format of the window and how that dictates transfers.

The players that are worth us getting to improve us are also players that are likely waiting to see if they are going to get any interest from bigger clubs than us so are not going to rush to sign for us until those clubs have finished their business.

Likewise if the players are worth us getting their clubs won't want to sell so we either have the choice of overpaying like Liverpool often do to get deals done early of we have to wait and play the game near deadline day.

People moan and wine about levy as if they have the first idea who our actual targets are and what conversations are going on behind closed doors.

If the window closes and we haven't sufficiently strengthened then I'll criticise him where I think necessary. I've said this before but if the window closed BEFORE the season actually kicked off like it logically should we wouldn't have this problem every season. But I guess that's levy's fault somehow too?

Last edited:
Why do you think its easier to sign players in the last 2 weeks? Cos Levy said so?

Hmmmmmm, why could it be cheaper easier closer to deadline day? Hmmmmmmmm, racking my brains?

Cheaper for shit most likely. Given everybody knows we need a striker and that we'll be desperate by then. Cannot see how the prices will go down, if Kane gets a knock they'll go up a further 10% at least as well

100% agree, as I am one of those.

Its the same people who were demanding he backed Poch 6 months ago acting like its ok to go into the season with a weaker squad than last year

Wouldn't say weaker, we have improved our defense and the players we have sold were pretty shit tbf.

I am concerned not having a proper quality DM against United. In regards to Kane we at least need some back up by the end of the window and good back up, Berahino would do, better not get a cheap crappy second rate alternative.

Essentially we get Bender, Berahino and possibly Werner we should be in a good place. We get no DM and some reject cover striker our season will run out of gas when Kane gets knackered.

Cheaper for shit most likely. Given everybody knows we need a striker and that we'll be desperate by then. Cannot see how the prices will go down, if Kane gets a knock they'll go up a further 10% at least as well

Transfer prices are what they are, we would get £30-35 million for Berahino in today's market for a very talented, proven prem young striker.

£20-25 million is reasonable given the market. Fair enough if Levy doesn't want to match but if Kane gets injured and our second rate alternative fails and our season goes flat because our striker plays like Soldado, it won't be Pochs fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom