Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that there are still people asking for Chicharito. He's extremely overrated and if you have watched his games for Mexico in the past year you would see that. We could find so much better abroad. I don't know why people are saying we should sell Chadli either. He was solid at the end of the year. I don't think we should sell Dembele either. In fact, I pretty much disagree with most here except selling Livermore, Ade, and Lennon and buying Lallana, although I don't see him coming here. Shaw will cost a ridiculous amount, we'd be better off going for someone like Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg. Benteke had an average season and is coming back from injury and I still don't think Caulker is good enough for the level we want to play at.
Fair Enough!

We really shouldnt be buying anyone until we have a new man in charge

Then again, if Baldini selects the manager, he should also select the signings. IMO the manager should just coach and get the best of what he has. The second you start thinking the grass is greener you will suffer IMO. Or the opposite, Sherwood trying to butter up the players he has by saying he does not want new signings in Jan like a FRICKIN IDIOT because of his denial re his pet vanity youth project Rose and Naughton.

Grass is greener = annoying phrase of the month.

Then again, if Baldini selects the manager, he should also select the signings. IMO the manager should just coach and get the best of what he has. The second you start thinking the grass is greener you will suffer IMO. Or the opposite, Sherwood trying to butter up the players he has by saying he does not want new signings in Jan like a FRICKIN IDIOT because of his denial re his pet vanity youth project Rose and Naughton.

Grass is greener = annoying phrase of the month.

As I understand it we buy by commitee, the head coach is an integral part of that. There is no good just dumping players on him. I think he is best placed to help identify the skills we are lacking and what he needs to make his way of playing work.

I think if we got either FDB or Pochettino the squad broadly suits their methods - but they have distinctions as well that may need accomodating this window to offer them the best chance of success.

As I understand it we buy by commitee

Yep and i don't agree with that either. Lev and co should be miles away from anything football related.

mg_4747cc.jpg

If it does not work out long term...Then you have less meltdowns and pointed fingers.

There is no good just dumping players on him

I think it should be one man's vision because lets say Baldini signed Lamella. He will know what type of players work well in and around him in his previous teams. AVB like an idiot put him on the wing and made him water carry. Away against City. The best attack in the league. In the prem. I think you can hear Baldini's facepalm from here.

That is why Baldini should choose the manager, because you know the team shapes and style to fit his brand with specific players.

As I understand it we buy by commitee, the head coach is an integral part of that. There is no good just dumping players on him. I think he is best placed to help identify the skills we are lacking and what he needs to make his way of playing work.

I think if we got either FDB or Pochettino the squad broadly suits their methods - but they have distinctions as well that may need accomodating this window to offer them the best chance of success.

Agreed. The best plan is for the manager to identify the needs, the scout to present potential solutions, and for the DoF to only go and get them, with manager having the ultimate say. This mix and match of incoming players with different individuals selecting different players must go if a manager is to truly instill their plan and consequently be afforded sufficient time.

Yep and i don't agree with that either. Lev and co should be miles away from anything football related.

mg_4747cc.jpg

If it does not work out long term...Then you have less meltdowns and pointed fingers.

Ive no issue with it, and believe it is common practice these days. If everyone is agreed on a player everyone is happy and on the same page.

The problem arises when a committee member has a seperate agenda. Then of course should you just give a manager carte blanche there are plenty of issues as well.

I think it should be one man's vision because lets say Baldini signed Lamella. He will know what type of players work well in and around him in his previous teams. AVB like an idiot put him on the wing and made him water carry. Away against City. The best attack in the league. In the prem. I think you can hear Baldini's facepalm from here.

That is why Baldini should choose the manager, because you know the team shapes and style to fit his brand with specific players.

Again, I think a team effort is best. If all agree on a direction, all can agree on solutions/advances/strategies...

Ive no issue with it, and believe it is common practice these days. If everyone is agreed on a player everyone is happy and on the same page.

I just think the best time we had when it came to signing players and relationship with a manager was when Arnesen was here. We came from obscurity to Europe and I kinda miss that type of setup where Arnesen fought to get Jol the job when Santini did not get the view he wanted from his Chateaux.

Arnesen got the Chelsea job, and I am sure politics made his power/impact fade.

I just think the best time we had when it came to signing players and relationship with a manager was when Arnesen was here. We came from obscurity to Europe and I kinda miss that type of setup where Arnesen fought to get Jol the job when Santini did not get the view he wanted from his Chateaux.

But this is exactly what Im talking about. We bought by committee then, it wasnt a case of Arnesen saying "Here you go! Got a new midfielder for you!".

IMO the coach will work with the Dof on what is required (skill/position wise)
The dof will work with the scouts identifying players
They reconvene and review, its a team effort.

In addition to which someone from the business talks £££. What can we afford? Which shelf are we shopping from?

Aside from this I expect the academy to run on similar grounds. We have already identified that we want all age groups playing the same way, Id expect us to recruit on a similar basis.

Why that worked, for me, was because there was harmony in the team.

Add Comolli and that was lost...

But this is exactly what Im talking about. We bought by committee then, it wasnt a case of Arnesen saying "Here you go! Got a new midfielder for you!".

Arnesen handpicked Jol and then went to bat for him to get the big job. And a lot of players we signed were from his contacts. We got a lot of un Lev type of signing like Davids etc with no resale value.

I think a lot of Jol's downfall was because Arnesen left and it took a year or so for that to kick in. Just like Comolis impact took a while for Harry to reap the rewards.

Last edited:
Arnesen handpicked Jol and then went to bat for him to get the big job. And a lot of players we signed were from his contacts. We got a lot of un Lev type of signing like Davids etc with no resale value.

I think a lot of Jol's downfall was because Arnesen left and it took a year or so for that to kick in. Just like Comolis impact too a while for Harry to reap the rewards.

Arnesen picked Jol and they worked very well together, its not really a surprise. Neither is Levy letting the football men run the football side when he can see they know what they are doing and are dancing to his beat (he will of course be the one setting the targets at the end of the day.)

Arnesen and Comolli had a two tier approach to buys, IMO. 1) Immediate impact, 2) Potential for development.
They both did very well with 2), and as you say it takes time to reap the rewards of that.
IMO Comolli really failed with 1) where Arnesen was much better. This is a good example of when the transfer comittee "works" and when it doesnt. It clearly seems Comolli was on his own wavelength there.

Arnesen picked Jol and they worked very well together, its not really a surprise. Neither is Levy letting the football men run the football side when he can see they know what they are doing and are dancing to his beat (he will of course be the one setting the targets at the end of the day.)

Arnesen and Comolli had a two tier approach to buys, IMO. 1) Immediate impact, 2) Potential for development.
They both did very well with 2), and as you say it takes time to reap the rewards of that.
IMO Comolli really failed with 1) where Arnesen was much better. This is a good example of when the transfer comittee "works" and when it doesnt. It clearly seems Comolli was on his own wavelength there.

Ironically I don't think Comolli would have signed Bale if it were not for Lev's OBSESSION with signing young players. We signed so many kids after Arnesen...It was like child slave labor hoping to turn a profit.

And it worked...

Then we golden goosed it.

Thats the business model, isnt it?
Two benefits. On one hand one player developing and being sold allows us to strengthen the squad. On the other said player also helps elevate the team while he is here.
Without a sugar daddy its basically the only play we have.

Arnesen got the Chelsea job, and I am sure politics made his power/impact fade.
When were Spurs in obscurity? They never have been in my lifetime, which goes back to the 50s. We certainly weren't in obscurityin the decade pre-Arnesen. We had players like Ginola, Klinsmann, Gazza, Lineker, how far back do you want to go? We have been in the top flight since 1978, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom