Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very untrue, just as Quaresma pointed out, it's the very fact I'm American that I've even heard of him.

Everything you say in your second paragraph however is correct, although I wouldn't say I was making a "comparison" to Dempsey and his impact, merely pointing out what he already did to the market in a timeline and suggesting that I'm not sure Green would have much immediate impact, and then following it up with me saying I'm not sure if he'll ever have that much impact for us, hence reaping the reward of investment.

Not being the best player in Bayern's academy isn't a blight against him IMO. Also, just because he doesn't look like he'll make it at Bayern doesn't mean he isn't very much fit for Spurs.

Also, apparently Spurs are apparently buying Andrija Balic for £2.5 million. I don't know who that is but it doesn't mean he's shit. Just like Green, he is a developmental player. I hope that Spurs are finally being smart and investing significantly more money in youth players. If Green ends up proving himself to be good in a couple of years we won't be able to afford him or he won't want to come here. This has happened to us over and over again with players. We need to invest in young players and trust our scouting and developmental departments to bring them along. We'll never succeed in transfer shootouts with the likes of Chelsea who have continually swiped our targets.

Apparently 4 premier league clubs are going for frank lampard...
Knowing harry redkanpp one has got to be QPR, and i think another is probably west ham...
Would you have the fat fcuker here? I would

Not being the best player in Bayern's academy isn't a blight against him IMO. Also, just because he doesn't look like he'll make it at Bayern doesn't mean he isn't very much fit for Spurs.

Also, apparently Spurs are apparently buying Andrija Balic for £2.5 million. I don't know who that is but it doesn't mean he's shit. Just like Green, he is a developmental player. I hope that Spurs are finally being smart and investing significantly more money in youth players. If Green ends up proving himself to be good in a couple of years we won't be able to afford him or he won't want to come here. This has happened to us over and over again with players. We need to invest in young players and trust our scouting and developmental departments to bring them along. We'll never succeed in transfer shootouts with the likes of Chelsea who have continually swiped our targets.

Oh come now JD, you know good n well I don't rate players based on whether they're "heard of" or not. And you also know that I don't think we're too good for a Munich academy product.

The rest of your post actually helps points out exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm delighted we're going after Balić because it's quite clearly a Broomfield identified player. I have no such confidence that us chasing after Green, were it true, would be entirely about talent potential, rather financial potential primarily and I think you can agree to that especially given all this talk of investment. My point is therefore simply that I don't think Levy would actually be interested in this deal, at that price, and not just yet. He isn't going to be bursting onto Munich's scene anytime soon, nor will he be lighting up Brazil, we would have plenty of time to evaluate to see if he becomes an investment worth such an amount.

I am stoked about Balić though. Yugoslavia is the region of this planet we should be scouting the most for talents, especially Croatia, as they go on to succeed in any league they play in. Also certainly helps we have a highly valuable recruitment tool in our history with Modrić.

Some ITK..
Been told again, Lovren is without doubt interested and he is the most likely from Southampton depending on how many other players they let go before we can agree a price. They have set a limit on how many they will let go numbers wise, and are trying to stall everyone until they name their manager. We also want J Rod but his injury makes things difficult unless he comes very cheap. As far as my guy has been told they are the only two we are looking at as of this window, and the guy that has told him works at Lovren's Agency. He was bang on with all the Poch stuff very early on, so no reason to doubt this either.
cahspur cahspur I think that you will like this!

Some ITK..
Been told again, Lovren is without doubt interested and he is the most likely from Southampton depending on how many other players they let go before we can agree a price. They have set a limit on how many they will let go numbers wise, and are trying to stall everyone until they name their manager. We also want J Rod but his injury makes things difficult unless he comes very cheap. As far as my guy has been told they are the only two we are looking at as of this window, and the guy that has told him works at Lovren's Agency. He was bang on with all the Poch stuff very early on, so no reason to doubt this either.
Don't see the point in us signing Rodriguez anyway. Could see Lamela filling his role in the team (though on another side).

I don't think so. I think that story was crappy journalism partially intended to wind up Scousers. But I do think he's 'pool-bound. At the prices he's being touted at, yeah I think he's definitely worth it.

im reading that sevilla are holding out for more $$$..is any LB really worth 20 plus? I mean you could prob find a LB 10% shitter for 90% less

Some ITK..

tbh im hoping we sign lovren and caulker and let go of kaboul.
vlad, verts, lovren, caulker and dawson isnt bad depth is it..

tbh im hoping we sign lovren and caulker and let go of kaboul.
vlad, verts, lovren, caulker and dawson isnt bad depth is it..

Unfortunately I don't think Caulker would come if not guaranteed first place, and I don't think we should promise him that over Lovren or Vertonghen. He's faster, but he's very much a traditional CB of the ilk of Dawson, making movements to constantly be able to face the opposition rather than adapt to counters.

Some ITK..

Like it? Lol, I fuckin love this news. As I've said recently, if I could have any one signing this summer it would be Lovren, even over Kono.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think Caulker would come if not guaranteed first place, and I don't think we should promise him that over Lovren or Vertonghen. He's faster, but he's very much a traditional CB of the ilk of Dawson, making movements to constantly be able to face the opposition rather than adapt to counters.

i think your right about caulker not coming if we cant gurentee first team football.
To me he represents a better version of dawson, i feel this type of CB given the right opposition/tactics still has its place in modern football

i think your right about caulker not coming if we cant gurentee first team football.
To me he represents a better version of dawson, i feel this type of CB given the right opposition/tactics still has its place in modern football

Oh for sure man, I just think he would struggle to adapt to Poch's way of doing things. He's quick enough, and young enough, such that he certainly could make it work eventually. Damn shame he made demands and allegedly laid down an unappreciated comment, would be great to have him back on board starting the cups at least.

Oh for sure man, I just think he would struggle to adapt to Poch's way of doing things. He's quick enough, and young enough, such that he certainly could make it work eventually. Damn shame he made demands and allegedly laid down an unappreciated comment, would be great to have him back on board starting the cups at least.

as good as he is as a defender, what i really like is how deadly this kid is a set pieces. He should have taken that one against us that hit the crossbar but barring that he was deadly all season. eriksen plus him we might finally score from set pieces

as good as he is as a defender, what i really like is how deadly this kid is a set pieces. He should have taken that one against us that hit the crossbar but barring that he was deadly all season. eriksen plus him we might finally score from set pieces

True that. Hate the fact he scored almost as many goals from open play last year as our shiny new striker did total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom