Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, more so Eddie Johnson if any individual in particular. But what I truly advocate, is that it's bullshit an 18 year old with one substitutional cap was selected for a World Cup squad. We're no world power as you know bud, but that's absolutely ridiculous for a 23 man squad.

Not for me. I'm not saying that I can make a strong case for Green, but I'd rather have an up and coming, exciting player get a chance in the WC than a 30 year old who (I think) is a little past his prime. Green won't start, so I think that we need to look at him being the potential impact sub that could be a nice option for Klinsman to pull out of his back pocket if we need a little bit of youth and speed late in the game.

Yeah I agree. I think he's overhyped because he is part of Bayern's youth set up. He may go on to being a good player over time but right now he isn't that great. Anytime I've seen him play he hasn't exactly impressed.

That's exactly why he's overhyped. The American media entirely blew it out of proportion that we stole a prospect from the Germans' biggest club, and Munich was and still is just soaking up the American attention from it. There was an interview by espnfc the day he announced for us, and they asked their German correspondent what he thought of is, and his reply was essentially, after he laughed, "Dudes, no one's talking about this here. He's just another prospect in the academy."

The kid's played all of what, 20 minutes total for us? And he had played I think five before his WC call-up? That's absurd, completely irrespective of Donovan or whoever, but especially at the expense of them.

Except Walcott was always going to play for England. With the group the US has, locking Julian Green down for the future will likely be the biggest win of the World Cup for the US.

Taking 30 year Eddie Johnson over allowing the brightest prospect the US has had in years who was far from guaranteed to play for America is absurd. The US should spend most of its time planning for the future. Still so far away from being a contender it isn't close. Green could be the cornerstone of the team for a decade. Taking an average player like Johnson over him is nonsensical.

In regards to Spurs buying him, this is peak Daniel Levy. Green is already being sold as the future golden boy of US "soccer" and is a legitimate great talent from the academy of a top 5 club in Europe. If he ends up being a quality player at Spurs or the US national team Spurs would explode in the US market. Music to Levy's ears.

Not for me. I'm not saying that I can make a strong case for Green, but I'd rather have an up and coming, exciting player get a chance in the WC than a 30 year old who (I think) is a little past his prime. Green won't start, so I think that we need to look at him being the potential impact sub that could be a nice option for Klinsman to pull out of his back pocket if we need a little bit of youth and speed late in the game.

Many have made this point, and it's not a bad point. But back pocket sub? The kid's made four touches or so in an American shirt, and has done nothing with them. There's just no way this kid should have been on that flight, even for the experience, over some of the guys that Klinnsy sent home or didn't even give the initial call up.

Except Walcott was always going to play for England. With the group the US has, locking Julian Green down for the future will likely be the biggest win of the World Cup for the US.

Taking 30 year Eddie Johnson over allowing the brightest prospect the US has had in years who was far from guaranteed to play for America is absurd. The US should spend most of its time planning for the future. Still so far away from being a contender it isn't close. Green could be the cornerstone of the team for a decade. Taking an average player like Johnson over him is nonsensical.

In regards to Spurs buying him, this is peak Daniel Levy. Green is already being sold as the future golden boy of US "soccer" and is a legitimate great talent from the academy of a top 5 club in Europe. If he ends up being a quality player at Spurs or the US national team Spurs would explode in the US market. Music to Levy's ears.

I think you're massively overrating this player my friend, there is no one at Bayern's academy that rates him as highly as you and the American media do, or sees as much potential in him as you do. Yes, there is the investment argument to it, but the American market has just received a recent surge from Dempsey being at Spurs while Bale went superstar status and very well may be saturated as is for the foreseeable future. You could argue he may come through in the future and thus reignite it, but I'm not sure he'll even beat out Harry Winks. At this price, I simply think there's just no way.

It's also the Metro ffs.

I'm not sure he'd beat out any of the current youth players at his age already at the club. This would be entirely focused on marketing if it were true, with a remote possibility of him coming through.

No way is it based on marketing. Klin has got the best he could, including a 5 German players with American links which is not exactly sponsor or MLS friendly. Klin used to drive an old VW Beetle and work at his mothers cheese shop when he was worth millions. When he was with Spurs he stayed behind for extra training. If you think Klin is worrying about sponsors etc you have no clue about your manager. He is all about winning at any cost. I've seen him flying face first into a sprinting goalkeepers knees for a sniff of a goal. I thought he was fucking dead at the time. WINNING. He's all about it.

No way is it based on marketing. Klin has got the best he could, including a 5 German players with American links which is not exactly sponsor or MLS friendly. Klin used to drive an old VW Beetle and work at his mothers cheese shop when he was worth millions. When he was with Spurs he stayed behind for extra training. If you think Klin is worrying about sponsors etc you have no clue about your manager. He is all about winning at any cost. I've seen him flying face first into a sprinting goalkeepers knees for a sniff of a goal. I thought he was fucking dead at the time. WINNING. He's all about it.

Gibbs, I'm referring to Spurs potentially acquiring him, not why Klinnsy selected him.

I didn't even know that Green is nominated in the US-team, no German newspaper is talking about that.
Further, Green isn't even the biggest talent in Bayerns' disposal. Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg is rated much higher.

I didn't even know that Green is nominated in the US-team, no German newspaper is talking about that.
Further, Green isn't even the biggest talent in Bayerns' disposal. Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg is rated much higher.

Exactly. Thank you, I should have tagged you from the beginning of this.

I think you're massively overrating this player my friend, there is no one at Bayern's academy that rates him as highly as you and the American media do, or sees as much potential in him as you do. Yes, there is the investment argument to it, but the market has just received a recent surge from Dempsey being at Spurs while Bale went superstar status, at this price there's just no way.

It's not really much different than chasing after Alvaro Vadillo or Alan Halilovic except they play for worse clubs and thus have first time experience. He's a highly touted eighteen year old from a top club in Europe who has played within the German setup the whole way up. If you weren't familiar with him through the US team, everyone would be fawning over his highlights and potential.

Also, he isn't even comparable to the in his 30s Dempsey we had. If he turned out to be a first teamer here he would hailed as the savior of the game in the US. He'd be an icon far surpassing anyone in recent memory. That's the exposure that no one else in the US would have ever had. Now, none of that stuff matters to me. I don't watch football to think about business and marketing but that doesn't mean I can't envision Levy rubbing his hands together like Mr. Burns just thinking about it. £5 million is barely a risk. Even if he were a shitty first teamer someday they'd make the money back in shirt sales.

Many have made this point, and it's not a bad point. But back pocket sub? The kid's made four touches or so in an American shirt, and has done nothing with them. There's just no way this kid should have been on that flight, even for the experience, over some of the guys that Klinnsy sent home or didn't even give the initial call up.

I'm trying to put some trust in Klinsman on this one, along with some of his other choices. The number of touches in a US shirt doesn't matter too much to me if the player can help us win. Donovan has had a million touches for us, but I'm actually a little relieved that he isn't going.

I don't want Green here...yet. Not until he spends a season or two on loan with another Bundesliga club and proves his value.

But cahspur cahspur ...now is not the time to knock on the lad cause you are a bit sore on EJ. Green didn't take his spot- Wondo did. Green didn't take Donovoan's spot, Brad fucking Davis did (this WC's Bornstein).

Now THAT's a guy I'd like to the in a Spurs shirt.

(As i recall) he played the full 120 minutes in the DFB Finale against Dortmund, only to get his Denmark debut vs. Sweden and dominating the midfield. Even bossed Zlatan off the ball at one point. Denmark coach Morten Olsen said it was 'the best debut I've seen in my (14) years as national coach"

18 years old. Fuck. Me.

It's not really much different than chasing after Alvaro Vadillo or Alan Halilovic except they play for worse clubs and thus have first time experience. He's a highly touted eighteen year old from a top club in Europe who has played within the German setup the whole way up. If you weren't familiar with him through the US team, everyone would be fawning over his highlights and potential.

Also, he isn't even comparable to the in his 30s Dempsey we had. If he turned out to be a first teamer here he would hailed as the savior of the game in the US. He'd be an icon far surpassing anyone in recent memory. That's the exposure that no one else in the US would have ever had. Now, none of that stuff matters to me. I don't watch football to think about business and marketing but that doesn't mean I can't envision Levy rubbing his hands together like Mr. Burns just thinking about it. £5 million is barely a risk. Even if he were a shitty first teamer someday they'd make the money back in shirt sales.

That is very untrue, just as Quaresma pointed out, it's the very fact I'm American that I've even heard of him.

Everything you say in your second paragraph however is correct, although I wouldn't say I was making a "comparison" to Dempsey and his impact, merely pointing out what he already did to the market in a timeline and suggesting that I'm not sure Green would have much immediate impact, and then following it up with me saying I'm not sure if he'll ever have that much impact for us, hence reaping the reward of investment.

I don't want Green here...yet. Not until he spends a season or two on loan with another Bundesliga club and proves his value.

But cahspur cahspur ...now is not the time to knock on the lad cause you are a bit sore on EJ. Green didn't take his spot- Wondo did. Green didn't take Donovoan's spot, Brad fucking Davis did (this WC's Bornstein).

Woh dude, this isn't at all about Johnson or any other individual. Note the "if anything" before that bit. Fear not, this isn't anything personal, I just don't think there's any legitimate merit in Levy's interest at the moment.

Woh dude, this isn't at all about Johnson or any other individual. Note the "if anything" before that bit. Fear not, this isn't anything personal, I just don't think there's any legitimate merit in Levy's interest at the moment.

"if" levy is interested...if it helps the club make money and increase exposure, I am for it. "If" that interest leads to shitty play and a bad dressing room situation, I am against it. "If" Tino wants him- get him fast.

"if" levy is interested...if it helps the club make money and increase exposure, I am for it. "If" that interest leads to shitty play and a bad dressing room situation, I am against it. "If" Tino wants him- get him fast.

If Levy does in fact deem him worth that much, and Poch thinks he can eventually get something out of him, of course I wouldn't argue with it. But my point is just that I don't think they are in the first place. Feel free to string me out if he's a Spurs player come September, but all I'm saying is I think this article is junk and I very much doubt Levy is even interested.

If Levy does in fact deem him worth that much, and Poch thinks he can eventually get something out of him, of course I wouldn't argue with it. But my point is just that I don't think they are in the first place. Feel free to string me out if he's a Spurs player come September, but all I'm saying is I think this article is junk and I very much doubt Levy is even interested.

O I agree its junk. The American in me refuses to deny that any prospect American is nothing short of the next world beater.

I'm trying to put some trust in Klinsman on this one, along with some of his other choices. The number of touches in a US shirt doesn't matter too much to me if the player can help us win. Donovan has had a million touches for us, but I'm actually a little relieved that he isn't going.

I feel ya, and I admire your confidence in him for it. But while I also have upmost confidence in him as a coach and manager as well, and have even hoped Spurs wouldn't chase him in their managerial hunts since he's been with the US, I can't help but think it possible he was promised a spot and it was a part of his decision. Yes, Klinnsman may have had the intention of bringing him along eventually and getting him experience in Brazil, but I maintain it is a strange call to pick this kid in a 23 man roster given the lack of his previous contributions and given he's not particularly highly rated in Germany anyway.

O I agree its junk. The American in me refuses to deny that any prospect American is nothing short of the next world beater.

Haha I know, is why I saw your "disagree" a page ago and thought "what a goddamn patriot, that dude literally does not give a fuck about anything but Stars n Stripes on here."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom