Stop StubHub – Important Update

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham v Sunderland will be my first game at the Lane. Probably also the last, but atleast I'm going to get to see it once.

Had to buy tickets for ~90€ each, because I'm going to visit the game with a non-member friend. Which means there isn't even a possibility for me to buy tickets otherwise. Yes, I know I can get tickets for face value on Twitter, but I can't risk not getting two tickets.

StubHub is shit, but the only way for foreign supporters to visit a match. Just don't understand why they had to make a business out of this too.

Tottenham v Sunderland will be my first game at the Lane. Probably also the last, but atleast I'm going to get to see it once.

Had to buy tickets for ~90€ each, because I'm going to visit the game with a non-member friend. Which means there isn't even a possibility for me to buy tickets otherwise. Yes, I know I can get tickets for face value on Twitter, but I can't risk not getting two tickets.

StubHub is shit, but the only way for foreign supporters to visit a match. Just don't understand why they had to make a business out of this too.
This is exactly the problem - they feed off people's desperate need to get to see a game, especially as this is the last season at WHL and there will be lots of people trying to make a 'pilgrimage'. It's just not right. Hope you and your friend enjoy the game.

I hope you enjoy it but surely you could have tried on here first? Not like your some random member who registered to ask for tickets

But I tell you what, next time I can't make a game on my season ticket, I'll spend the £100 or so quid I usually spend getting there, stand outside with a questionnaire, making sure the bloke who gets my ticket has been a Spurs fan for 60 years, sings himself hoarse for 90 minutes every game, him, his dad, his grandfather and his great grandfather are all good honest working class fuckers who have always lived in council flats in Enfield, and I'll pay him 50 quid to take the ticket off me. Because buying a season ticket for Spurs for years means I'm now responsible for them.
Good. You're learning.

I really agree with your sentiment at its core, I really do. But I don't think stubhub and the "business" side of it is solely to blame. To a degree, I think supporters themselves are liable as well - supporters demand success. Transfer thread is always full (less so with the with recent market successes) of people calling for the club to "do what is necessary" or "stop pinching pennies" to buy/sign the players required to win. It's a spiral. United got minted off Fergie's success, and in order to compete other clubs had to come up with ways to generate cash flow. At the end of the day, the best possible source of revenue are the supporters (particularly when you haven't been massively successful but want to be).

It would be detestable if ENIC were pocketing the cash, but at the least for Spurs is clear that everything going into the club is being managed very well and reinvested into the club. Obviously there's loads of factors, but the demand of success fuels the requirement to continually increase revenue year after year. The only way to change that, really, would be hard caps on spending and revenue/profits putting a ceiling on the clubs' financial layout to reduce the need for supporter revenue. But that's like getting the F1 paddock to agree a speed limit.
Not really, because revenue from match tickets is a very small percentage of overall income for the clubs. And it's easy enough to have a cap whereby all teams are on the same page; they've done it for away tickets, as of this season the most you'll pay for an away ticket is £30. They could easily all decide to make sure, for example, that the most you'd pay for a home match ticket behind either goal is £30, and the most a season ticket in that area can cost would be £600, and still charge more for corporates and the side stands.

Not really, because revenue from match tickets is a very small percentage of overall income for the clubs. And it's easy enough to have a cap whereby all teams are on the same page; they've done it for away tickets, as of this season the most you'll pay for an away ticket is £30. They could easily all decide to make sure, for example, that the most you'd pay for a home match ticket behind either goal is £30, and the most a season ticket in that area can cost would be £600, and still charge more for corporates and the side stands.

I'd love to see something of that sort, it'd be amazing for supporters. I think it'd be difficult to push through, I imagine. Maybe if there was a concerted effort to put a similar scheme in place in the Football League (where prices are obviously more reasonable anyway, but at least set the precedent and establish some useful data), then push for the PL. I think the biggest issue with the PL is, outside of Levy, how many chairmen at the PL clubs have a connection to their club, or any club in general, before taking their post. They're businessmen looking at pounds with little to no experience from the supporters' perspective.

I'd love to see something of that sort, it'd be amazing for supporters. I think it'd be difficult to push through, I imagine. Maybe if there was a concerted effort to put a similar scheme in place in the Football League (where prices are obviously more reasonable anyway, but at least set the precedent and establish some useful data), then push for the PL. I think the biggest issue with the PL is, outside of Levy, how many chairmen at the PL clubs have a connection to their club, or any club in general, before taking their post. They're businessmen looking at pounds with little to no experience from the supporters' perspective.
A few months ago I would have said it could never happen, but I was then completely shocked when the £30 away ticket cap was agreed to. I never thought that would happen. That, to me, is the best thing that has happened for football fans in recent years. Before that, away tickets were getting out of control, Woolwich/Chelsea were charging nearly £70, it would not have been long before you would have been paying £100. This season Woolwich will be £26 instead of £64. Over the whole season this will save me a lot of money.

The problem is the bigger clubs. The top clubs were the ones trying to stop the away tickets cap. I suppose they lose a tiny bit of their advantage. Because teams like Stoke, Hull, know they need to keep their prices down a bit to get a full stadium (in large part because they are poorer parts of the country). Whereas Man Utd etc know they can charge what they want and still fill the ground.

It's crazy because these clubs already have a gigantic advantage over the rest; the fact that they can charge £20-£30 more for their cheapest ticket is only a tiny part of that advantage. They have a huge advantage in terms of merchandise, TV money, corporate money, CL money, player sales, their superior youth set-ups, owners who are richer/prepared to throw more money at everything, better reputations, ability to attract more fans, media bias, not to mention better current personnel. Their advantage is huge and would remain regardless of everyone cutting prices across the board.

You mention the Championship, funnily enough away games in the Championship are now more expensive than in the Prem. I don't think it's impossible that prices will be reduced, after all these clubs are losing the next generations of fans so long-term it's in their interests. Safe standing is something that might eventually be on its way (it already exists at Celtic) and that should raise the capacities/attendances (meaning more money for the clubs) and they won't charge as much for a standing ticket.

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust & 'Stop Stubhub' Group release a joint statement on the Stubhub resale facility.

Continue reading...

Right. As far as tickets go StubHub is absolutely brilliant. The previous system was rubbish, as the seller only got a % of the face value, and even then it was not cash.

I have bought and sold tickets on stubhub. I have bought tickets for less than face value, and paid more than face value. The same can be said for selling. Tickets are like everything else in life, SUPPLY and DEMAND

Back
Top Bottom