Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having read the article it was really impressing how important the F A Cup is to Steve and that this could be his last involvement with it. For Exeter getting a draw re Premiership club is big. He actually retires at the end of the season.

Absolute legend, I think that word is thrown around too often but he genuinely is. Had the pleasure of meeting him briefly at a Spurs evening in Exeter a few years ago, I thanked him for arranging the jimmy greaves evening a few years ago in Stevenage. He thanked me for driving up from exeter. Still has tottenham in his heart, spoke about "our club" all night. Found it slightly odd why we have never sent more youth players on loan down there given the link between the two clubs

Haven't read it yet, sorry if it's shit.

Nice read. I absolutely love this:

Tottenham had been successful before me, and they were successful at the very start of my playing career, in their own way, but then they became unsuccessful and for a player that played all through that, then to help make them successful again was vital, actually. I quoted when we were relegated that teams wanted to take me out of Tottenham and I said no, if I ever leave Tottenham it’ll be when they’re back where they belong – I played 42 out of 42 games the season we were relegated and therefore it must have had something to do with me. I couldn’t rest knowing I’d left Tottenham in the lurch, as it were, and that was personal to me.

Nice read. I absolutely love this:

Tottenham had been successful before me, and they were successful at the very start of my playing career, in their own way, but then they became unsuccessful and for a player that played all through that, then to help make them successful again was vital, actually. I quoted when we were relegated that teams wanted to take me out of Tottenham and I said no, if I ever leave Tottenham it’ll be when they’re back where they belong – I played 42 out of 42 games the season we were relegated and therefore it must have had something to do with me. I couldn’t rest knowing I’d left Tottenham in the lurch, as it were, and that was personal to me.

Fuckin' A!

Compare that to today's pampered types that think a transfer is how you climb the ladder of success.

Until there is a Steve Perryman stand and he is given a proper amount of respect by Spurs @ an official level then there will always be a sadness. He deserves so much more than he seems to get in terms of respect.

If they want an idea for a test event in August, could do a lot worse than play a game in name and aid of our skipper, I get he might not need the money, but he deserves 60,000 people cheering him one more time.

Steve Perryman testimonial to open new stadium. Need any better PR idea than that ?

Until there is a Steve Perryman stand and he is given a proper amount of respect by Spurs @ an official level then there will always be a sadness. He deserves so much more than he seems to get in terms of respect.

If they want an idea for a test event in August, could do a lot worse than play a game in name and aid of our skipper, I get he might not need the money, but he deserves 60,000 people cheering him one more time.

Steve Perryman testimonial to open new stadium. Need any better PR idea than that ?
I like the idea but I know for a fact he is adored mate, by that I mean within the suited and booted contingent of the Club. The main reason he's not seen at WHL over the years is that he's been working. He's Exeter City's DoF. This has to be respected. He's of the ilk where he remained working in the game rather than go into the media, those that went into the media tend to have a high profile and are also basically part time jobs so are wheeled out to the fans at the weekend more often.

He's now just retired, so I'm sure there is a chance that we will see a lot more of him in the new stadium in the months and years to come. I doubt however in the same capacity or regularity as say Mabbutt or Ossie mainly because he lives in Exeter, but who knows. But trust me, his legend in the hallowed halls couldn't be any bigger. (for the cynical of us, his brand if you will is higher than that of Villa and Ossie, especially since their stories are re-counted a number of times per year, Perryman's stock is untapped, it's a whole new market which I'm sure will not be long before it's tapped into with a book deal and we'll see him in the months to come, he's certainly upped his unofficial appearances in the legends nights recently).

Last edited:
I like the idea but I know for a fact he is adored mate, by that I mean within the suited and booted contingent of the Club. The main reason he's not seen at WHL over the years is that he's been working. He's Exeter City's DoF. This has to be respected. He's of the ilk where he remained working in the game rather than go into the media, those that went into the media tend to have a high profile and are also basically part time jobs so are wheeled out to the fans at the weekend more often.

He's now just retired, so I'm sure there is a chance that we will see a lot more of him in the new stadium in the months and years to come. I doubt however in the same capacity or regularity as say Mabbutt or Ossie mainly because he lives in Exeter, but who knows. But trust me, his legend in the hallowed halls couldn't be any bigger. (for the cynical of us, his brand if you will is higher than that of Villa and Ossie, especially since their stories are re-counted a number of times per year, Perryman's stock is untapped, it's a whole new market which I'm sure will not be long before it's tapped into with a book deal and we'll see him in the months to come, he's certainly upped his unofficial appearances in the legends nights recently).

That’s good to read. From a behind the scene point of view it’s not always clear who is favoured and who is not. Always been a bit perplexed by the David Pleat thing for example.

That’s good to read. From a behind the scene point of view it’s not always clear who is favoured and who is not. Always been a bit perplexed by the David Pleat thing for example.
At the end of the day we are manipulated massively by rumour, press, conspiracy and then more rumour. But if you look at how Martin Jol is welcomed back I really think many of the splits and disagreements have been over egged. No doubt there are a number of disagreements between some ex-playersand managers, there was a long standing dispute with Greaves for example but whilst the exact details of what the dispute was over we all know it was money. It has meant that as Spurs fans we have been denied his presence at WHL but fans being fans they will vent their frustration at the club, whilst ignoring the possibility that maybe, just maybe there was a chance that Greaves might have actually have been taking the piss, i mean this is a man that sold his World Cup medal at the drop of a hat having had his fans campaign for years on his behalf of him to be awarded it!!

But now more than ever it pays to have your legends on board, get the deal right and it should reward both club and player. (Bobby Moore anyone!).

Back
Top Bottom