Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A proper Yid mate of mine only has days to live and so married his long term partner on his hospital bed. Another mate of mine knows Stevie P from her days running one of the supporters clubs.

She texted him and he couldn't have been more accommodating. He rang my mate personally this morning to congratulate him and have a little chat.

Wonderful gesture. My mate was so made up that a Spurs legend actually phoned him. His family were so happy.

Steve P - an absolute gent of the highest order.

Haven't read it yet, sorry if it's shit.

Nice read. I absolutely love this:

Tottenham had been successful before me, and they were successful at the very start of my playing career, in their own way, but then they became unsuccessful and for a player that played all through that, then to help make them successful again was vital, actually. I quoted when we were relegated that teams wanted to take me out of Tottenham and I said no, if I ever leave Tottenham it’ll be when they’re back where they belong – I played 42 out of 42 games the season we were relegated and therefore it must have had something to do with me. I couldn’t rest knowing I’d left Tottenham in the lurch, as it were, and that was personal to me.

Just spent a very pleasant afternoon in the company of my beloved. THST had a barbie at the Antwerp Arms, and it was quite a celebratory occasion.
Stevie looked really well, considering he and his wife (spit!) had returned from Portugal in the early hours this morning. He didn't really say anything I hadn't heard or read before, but that doesn't matter to me.
I got him to sign the programme of my first game, the programme of his testimonial and The Finale one, and had a couple of photos too.
There was a raffle and auction, and they raised over £1,600 for Prostate Cancer.
I also met Rob White, the son of the late John White, and I told him that I enjoyed the book he co-wrote about his dad.
A good time was had by all and it was a great way to end the season.

I will NEVER forget the favour Steve Perryman did for me when he called one of my best mates on his death bed to have a chat to him. My mate just couldn't believe it, he was so happy.

It isnt even 6am and I am welling up on the train into work. I must have something in my eye.

RIP mate. Never forgotten.

Stevie is watching the game tonight at the Spurs Supporters' Club in Malta, I was gutted to miss him as I was only there last week. Mind you, apparently his legal trouble 'n strife is going too, so better I'm not there, as there might be a bit of a cat fight!

What??? I saw him first!!!

:perryman:

I'm sitting in some hipster pub in Tooting before the funeral of my mate in a couple of hours (wishing I'd not worn socks and quickly grown a beard) and reading that has made me so happy that the Legend himself took the time to ring my mate and make his last few days that little bit more bearable and gave a bit of comfort to his family.

'Some old, some new & some died' lump in the throat.

Thanks Steve P and RIP Steve M.

Nice read. I absolutely love this:

Tottenham had been successful before me, and they were successful at the very start of my playing career, in their own way, but then they became unsuccessful and for a player that played all through that, then to help make them successful again was vital, actually. I quoted when we were relegated that teams wanted to take me out of Tottenham and I said no, if I ever leave Tottenham it’ll be when they’re back where they belong – I played 42 out of 42 games the season we were relegated and therefore it must have had something to do with me. I couldn’t rest knowing I’d left Tottenham in the lurch, as it were, and that was personal to me.

Fuckin' A!

Compare that to today's pampered types that think a transfer is how you climb the ladder of success.

I have just spent a delightful 2 hours dialing into a talk in on Zoom with Mr P, arranged by the Yorkshire Supporters' Club. It was put on to raise funds for the NHS. I was told about it by the Secretary of the Malta SC, who also dialled in.
I managed to get my hair under some sort of control and got some root cover up, and put makeup on for the first time in months, so I wouldn't scare everyone.
My question to him was, had he ever met the guy who jumped out of the crowd at the '81 Cup Final, just after he picked up the Cup. He did meet him at an anniversary do, and he was OK with it, he recognised that it was natural exuberance and I remarked that we all probably would have done the same, given the opportunity.
He does waffle a bit (bless him), but the two hours just flew by and I can now say that Stevie P has seen my bedroom 🤭
Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor - this is for you.
He finished off with a funny story about Nutter (the original one!), that's what he called him.
When the team were in the USA (he couldn't remember if it was Florida or LA), some of them wanted to go to Disneyland. Once there, they were walking around, and Steve turned round to see Nutter rolling around on the ground, with Chip 'n Dale! Apparently the guys in the costumes were great with the kids, but would slap any dad nearby. Nutter just told them, if they did it to him, he would dish it out double. Sure enough, next thing punches were flying, with Nutter coming out on top. As Steve said, good job it was in the days before social media, can you imagine what the media would do with that!

Have I ever mentioned that I love him 😍🥰😘

I was watching Steve Perryman’s latest podcast on facebook and also read a few comments that he and some Spurs fans added. I would have attached it but the season would be over by the time I worked out how to do it.

During the podcast he discussed, among other things, our next CL game against AC Milan. He reminisced about, in his opinion, his best game in a Spurs shirt. It was in 1972, where he scored two goals against AC Milan in the UEFA cup, which we later went on to win that year. With that in mind, he mentioned that it would be nice if he could get an invitation from the club to attend the upcoming Milan home game. The podcast went on to cover other topics and then at the end when he was wrapping things up and thanking people for watching, he said again that it would be nice to go to this game and if anyone from within the club or similar was watching and could make it happen for him to get an invitation, it would be much appreciated etc.

Maybe I’m missing something, or reading too much into it, but I find it hard to believe he would have to make a public request like that. He was our club captain, our longest serving player with over 860 appearances, a player who is Spurs through and through—it just seemed odd. I would have expected the situation to be that if he picked up the phone to Spurs, saying he wants to go to the game, they would welcome him with open arms, even send a car to pick him up.

Further into some of the comments on his podcast, someone mentioned that Jimmy Greaves daughter collected her father’s MBE this week from

Princess Anne at Windsor Castle and was surprised there was no club announcement. Steve Perryman’s response to this was that JG didn’t toe the club line and neither does he, so gets treated by the club accordingly. Not sure if anyone can throw any light on that. I understood JG was happy to attend events/functions at Spurs, but not for free and expected payment. If the club were making money on the strength of his attendance, then he should as well. Something that always seemed reasonable to me. But, I’ve never heard anything about Steve P’s relationship with the club or anything to suggest it was anything but good.

Anyway, whatever happens, hope the club see fit to make sure Steve P attends this game.

I was watching Steve Perryman’s latest podcast on facebook and also read a few comments that he and some Spurs fans added. I would have attached it but the season would be over by the time I worked out how to do it.

During the podcast he discussed, among other things, our next CL game against AC Milan. He reminisced about, in his opinion, his best game in a Spurs shirt. It was in 1972, where he scored two goals against AC Milan in the UEFA cup, which we later went on to win that year. With that in mind, he mentioned that it would be nice if he could get an invitation from the club to attend the upcoming Milan home game. The podcast went on to cover other topics and then at the end when he was wrapping things up and thanking people for watching, he said again that it would be nice to go to this game and if anyone from within the club or similar was watching and could make it happen for him to get an invitation, it would be much appreciated etc.

Maybe I’m missing something, or reading too much into it, but I find it hard to believe he would have to make a public request like that. He was our club captain, our longest serving player with over 860 appearances, a player who is Spurs through and through—it just seemed odd. I would have expected the situation to be that if he picked up the phone to Spurs, saying he wants to go to the game, they would welcome him with open arms, even send a car to pick him up.

Further into some of the comments on his podcast, someone mentioned that Jimmy Greaves daughter collected her father’s MBE this week from

Princess Anne at Windsor Castle and was surprised there was no club announcement. Steve Perryman’s response to this was that JG didn’t toe the club line and neither does he, so gets treated by the club accordingly. Not sure if anyone can throw any light on that. I understood JG was happy to attend events/functions at Spurs, but not for free and expected payment. If the club were making money on the strength of his attendance, then he should as well. Something that always seemed reasonable to me. But, I’ve never heard anything about Steve P’s relationship with the club or anything to suggest it was anything but good.

Anyway, whatever happens, hope the club see fit to make sure Steve P attends this game.

It's is odd how some players seem persona non grata. Terry Naylor has only just been readmitted to the fold.

I'm sure Graham Roberts or Mickey Hazard could sort Stevie P out.

What a terrific read this is.............
Steve Perryman exclusive interview as he retires from 50 years in football

And amen to this......................
“And I won’t miss this modern blight of ‘game management’, which I detest – it’s one of the worst things I’ve witnessed in football.

“People pay hard-earned money to watch matches, and they are being cheated by ways of keeping the ball out of play".

“I’m talking about managers who tell the ballboys not to give the ball back so quickly when their teams are winning, goalkeepers taking a minute over every goal kick, players rolling around feigning injury, substitutions taking forever. If football has come to all that, you count me out.”

And for those who had any fears about him not spending time at The Lane:
With time on his hands, Perryman will be a more frequent visitor to his spiritual home in N17.

He said: “I’m going to attend more Tottenham games – I want to go back home where I feel truly respected because I like the north London opinion on football. We’re not all on the same side in that part of the world, but we are on the same wavelength.

“Although I’m a west London boy by birth, that’s why I regard north London as home: They don’t give you any bull****, they tell you how it is and they know if you’re on it, and I was on it at Tottenham.

“Without blowing my own trumpet, I always felt that these were my people and I was representing them on the pitch.

He is my only football hero. I feel very lucky to have this man as our Captain, not someone who you just adore as a footballer, who then says all the right things then fucks off somewhere leaving his words and actions meaningless. This is a man you could (can) count on, someone with integrity and honesty. For me as a kid he was the man you wanted to be when you grew up.

What a terrific read this is.............
Steve Perryman exclusive interview as he retires from 50 years in football

And amen to this......................
“And I won’t miss this modern blight of ‘game management’, which I detest – it’s one of the worst things I’ve witnessed in football.

“People pay hard-earned money to watch matches, and they are being cheated by ways of keeping the ball out of play".

“I’m talking about managers who tell the ballboys not to give the ball back so quickly when their teams are winning, goalkeepers taking a minute over every goal kick, players rolling around feigning injury, substitutions taking forever. If football has come to all that, you count me out.”

And for those who had any fears about him not spending time at The Lane:
With time on his hands, Perryman will be a more frequent visitor to his spiritual home in N17.

He said: “I’m going to attend more Tottenham games – I want to go back home where I feel truly respected because I like the north London opinion on football. We’re not all on the same side in that part of the world, but we are on the same wavelength.

“Although I’m a west London boy by birth, that’s why I regard north London as home: They don’t give you any bull****, they tell you how it is and they know if you’re on it, and I was on it at Tottenham.

“Without blowing my own trumpet, I always felt that these were my people and I was representing them on the pitch.

He is my only football hero. I feel very lucky to have this man as our Captain, not someone who you just adore as a footballer, who then says all the right things then fucks off somewhere leaving his words and actions meaningless. This is a man you could (can) count on, someone with integrity and honesty. For me as a kid he was the man you wanted to be when you grew up.
How could anyone who calls themselves a Spurs supporter not love this man.

How could anyone who calls themselves a Spurs supporter not love this man.

For me he was the link between the Billy Nic era and the generals sides of the 1980's.

A Tottenham legend, a disgrace that he did not play more games for England.

My dad went to his testimonial against wet spam? And got to meet him afterwards, Steve signed the programme, which we still have and despite all the attention around Steve, he still took time to chat to my dad for ages about spurs and football in general.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and my dad took my sister's kids to their first match at Exeter ( it's close to where they live) in the stand and Steve is sat a few rows away, my dad goes over before kick off and Steve is happy to chat and they spend time recalling Steve's testimonial back in 1979 and having a joke or two about the modern game!

Absolute legend and although I have never met him, top guy!

Read more at Steve Perryman: 'I've been through a few things good and bad'

Steve Perryman: 'It probably gives me more of a buzz now to walk out at White Hart Lane'

Steve Perryman admits that it gives him more of a buzz to step out on the White Hart Lane pitch now than it did during his 17 years playing for Tottenham Hotspur.

The right-back, who played 854 times for Spurs – the club record – and won six trophies during the 1970s and 80s, was the special guest at half-time during the Lilywhites' 2-0 victory against Manchester City.

"In a way it gives me more of a buzz to be on the pitch now," admitted Perryman, now 64 and the director of football at Exeter City. "When you're on it four or five times a month it becomes run of the mill, you're there and it's what you do, it's your job.

"All of a sudden you're stood on that pitch once a year or even less once every two years. It's a place that I joined as a 15-year-old boy. I stayed and ended up leaving there years later and hopefully with a lot of lessons learned and grown up a bit.

"I've been through a few things for good and bad, mostly good but some bad as well and yeah, you come through the other side of it and look back on it being a great place to have worked and therefore to return to."

Perryman, who will be talking about his 50 years in football at The Windmill Pub in Cheshunt on October 16, also explained what it means to be pretty much a one-club man. He wound down the last couple of years of his career, after leaving Tottenham at 35, at Oxford United and then Brentford.

"You lose and you gain. Being a one club man you lose because obviously there's not the financial gain, if you move five times you sort of get a payday every time," he said.

"If you don't move, you don't get the payday but where you gain is people respect you. I don't think it makes them think any more of you as a player, but they start to then judge you as a man and as a loyal man as they see me because I have the same desire and wish to stay with their club as they have."

He added: "Of course it's not possible through your whole career because that club doesn't want you for all of your career. You move on and your legs get tired and you go to new pastures and that's the way it works.

"That's why it's always good to reacquaint yourself with the place and the people. Although when you're playing it's just a sea of heads.

"When you come back it's just a sea of heads but you're assuming that some of them are the same sort of people, there are new and old and some died, but basically in a place where you're understood and you understand them and it can't be a bad thing."

Related: Tottenham Hotspur legend Steve Perryman on who he supports, his appearance record and AC Milan

Perryman gave everyone a scare in 2012 when he collapsed at an Exeter game and needed surgery to fix a torn aorta, which had meant that blood was leaking from one of his main arteries into his body.

Fortunately the care he received at the ground and then at hospital saved his life, and he admitted then that if he was not in such a public place when he collapsed he probably would not be here now.

Today Perryman is back to his old self, loving life with Exeter and still following his old club closely.

The former defender also gave his thoughts on the current Spurs side. While many people see Tottenham's draw at Chelsea last season as the match when Pochettino's men lost their heads and the title, Perryman felt there were positives during the performance and hopes the team will learn from the negatives.

"I always talk about the first half at Chelsea being the best first half performance I've seen for many a year. They were under extreme pressure to win that game and to play and the tackles were flying in and they produced and got two goals," he said.

"They had a crazy five minutes later on so a lot of my friends said 'they're only young Steve and you want them to compete don't you' and all of that. Yes, but in control and you learn about that the more you play.

"I think what I saw against Manchester City at the weekend wasn't two teams having a real nasty aggressive game with each other but it was a physical battle in terms of reactions and ability to press the ball and stuff like that and they more than answered any doubts I may have had on them.

"At some point in the season it's going to come to that slugging out with someone and have they learnt? Please God they have because they've got most of everything else they need."

Perryman will be talking about much, much more on October 16 at The Windmill Pub in Cheshunt. Tickets are £10. The pub's phone number is 01992 309222.

Read more at Steve Perryman: 'I've been through a few things good and bad'

I was reading a reply from Stevie P to someone on Facebook who had asked him if he had any influence at Spurs anymore.

He said no but he was offered a position as an ambassador which didn't suit him as he didn't want to toe the party line.

This suggests ex-players working at the club are not allowed to criticise Levy and ENIC.

Back
Top Bottom