Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy 70th Birthday skipper.

A legend among mere mortals.
Beat me to it, haven't been up long:)

Happy 70th my darling Stevie, hope you have a brilliant day.
Happy Birthday Reaction GIF
Excited I Love U GIF by i-love-you
Miss U GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

"When steve goes up to lift the FA cup we'll be there"
Had the great pleasure of seeing stevie P lift the cup in 81, what a night! Bunked into to both games, it was easy back then using used ticket stubs. Must have been 75,000 Spurs there at the replay!
My memories of steve, he had a barrel chest when he ran out of midfield with the ball, tough tackler, gave his all in every game and had a cracking shot on him as well. One of the best captains we ever had.

Until there is a Steve Perryman stand and he is given a proper amount of respect by Spurs @ an official level then there will always be a sadness. He deserves so much more than he seems to get in terms of respect.

If they want an idea for a test event in August, could do a lot worse than play a game in name and aid of our skipper, I get he might not need the money, but he deserves 60,000 people cheering him one more time.

Steve Perryman testimonial to open new stadium. Need any better PR idea than that ?
I like the idea but I know for a fact he is adored mate, by that I mean within the suited and booted contingent of the Club. The main reason he's not seen at WHL over the years is that he's been working. He's Exeter City's DoF. This has to be respected. He's of the ilk where he remained working in the game rather than go into the media, those that went into the media tend to have a high profile and are also basically part time jobs so are wheeled out to the fans at the weekend more often.

He's now just retired, so I'm sure there is a chance that we will see a lot more of him in the new stadium in the months and years to come. I doubt however in the same capacity or regularity as say Mabbutt or Ossie mainly because he lives in Exeter, but who knows. But trust me, his legend in the hallowed halls couldn't be any bigger. (for the cynical of us, his brand if you will is higher than that of Villa and Ossie, especially since their stories are re-counted a number of times per year, Perryman's stock is untapped, it's a whole new market which I'm sure will not be long before it's tapped into with a book deal and we'll see him in the months to come, he's certainly upped his unofficial appearances in the legends nights recently).

Last edited:
For me he was the link between the Billy Nic era and the generals sides of the 1980's.

A Tottenham legend, a disgrace that he did not play more games for England.

My dad went to his testimonial against wet spam? And got to meet him afterwards, Steve signed the programme, which we still have and despite all the attention around Steve, he still took time to chat to my dad for ages about spurs and football in general.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and my dad took my sister's kids to their first match at Exeter ( it's close to where they live) in the stand and Steve is sat a few rows away, my dad goes over before kick off and Steve is happy to chat and they spend time recalling Steve's testimonial back in 1979 and having a joke or two about the modern game!

Absolute legend and although I have never met him, top guy!
He is lovely......but a bit of a moaner (like most men!!! ;) )

I was watching Steve Perryman’s latest podcast on facebook and also read a few comments that he and some Spurs fans added. I would have attached it but the season would be over by the time I worked out how to do it.

During the podcast he discussed, among other things, our next CL game against AC Milan. He reminisced about, in his opinion, his best game in a Spurs shirt. It was in 1972, where he scored two goals against AC Milan in the UEFA cup, which we later went on to win that year. With that in mind, he mentioned that it would be nice if he could get an invitation from the club to attend the upcoming Milan home game. The podcast went on to cover other topics and then at the end when he was wrapping things up and thanking people for watching, he said again that it would be nice to go to this game and if anyone from within the club or similar was watching and could make it happen for him to get an invitation, it would be much appreciated etc.

Maybe I’m missing something, or reading too much into it, but I find it hard to believe he would have to make a public request like that. He was our club captain, our longest serving player with over 860 appearances, a player who is Spurs through and through—it just seemed odd. I would have expected the situation to be that if he picked up the phone to Spurs, saying he wants to go to the game, they would welcome him with open arms, even send a car to pick him up.

Further into some of the comments on his podcast, someone mentioned that Jimmy Greaves daughter collected her father’s MBE this week from

Princess Anne at Windsor Castle and was surprised there was no club announcement. Steve Perryman’s response to this was that JG didn’t toe the club line and neither does he, so gets treated by the club accordingly. Not sure if anyone can throw any light on that. I understood JG was happy to attend events/functions at Spurs, but not for free and expected payment. If the club were making money on the strength of his attendance, then he should as well. Something that always seemed reasonable to me. But, I’ve never heard anything about Steve P’s relationship with the club or anything to suggest it was anything but good.

Anyway, whatever happens, hope the club see fit to make sure Steve P attends this game.

that was the first season i started going to all the home & many of the away games, great memories,
these night games coming from working in the city, then running back to Sth Tottenham stn for train to Barking then on to Ockendon, going to Tower Hotel in lunch time to check on team news and the score/result when we played Vic (someone n UEFA cup that season, afternoon kick off) by looking at the telex machine ( What's a telex machine you may well ask)
Good to know that I am not the only one so old on here.

I will defiantly miss the old place.
So many memories, not just football but of my Dad etc.
That's why it was so important to me that we kept as much contact with the past as possible.
Wont exactly be the same,but at last I will be walking the same streets(in most cases) to get there.

Its pretty much triggers broom these days.

Back
Top Bottom