Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That was a really good listen. For the Levy out brigade (sure they have never experienced another Spurs Chairman) should listen to how passionately Perryman talks about that hairy cunt Sugar, genuine hatred in his voice which I share. My all-time Spurs hero.

Always fancied Perryman getting the permanent manager gig when Ossie got binned. He was caretaker for a bit, then we got Gerry Francis.

Always fancied Perryman getting the permanent manager gig when Ossie got binned. He was caretaker for a bit, then we got Gerry Francis.
The way Berkinshaw used him showed he had/has tactical nouse. Would love for him to have a role with the club like Mabbutt, but can't blame him for doing what he does now at Exeter, a proper hands on job in football, rather than an "ambassadorial" role.

Last edited:
A proper Yid mate of mine only has days to live and so married his long term partner on his hospital bed. Another mate of mine knows Stevie P from her days running one of the supporters clubs.

She texted him and he couldn't have been more accommodating. He rang my mate personally this morning to congratulate him and have a little chat.

Wonderful gesture. My mate was so made up that a Spurs legend actually phoned him. His family were so happy.

Steve P - an absolute gent of the highest order.

A proper Yid mate of mine only has days to live and so married his long term partner on his hospital bed. Another mate of mine knows Stevie P from her days running one of the supporters clubs.

She texted him and he couldn't have been more accommodating. He rang my mate personally this morning to congratulate him and have a little chat.

Wonderful gesture. My mate was so made up that a Spurs legend actually phoned him. His family were so happy.

Just pure class that mate, hope ur friend beats the odds tho

Great story and doesn't surprise me one bit..I've only ever heard good things about perryman.

Top man all round..

Sorry to hear about your mate though..

Met Steve P a couple of times at fund raising do's for Exeter City FC where he organised for Spurs legends to come down to the SW and talk about their times/experiences at Spurs. A really nice bloke and a proper legend.

My thoughts are with your mate.

Have you or any of his family tried to get in touch with the club? They could arrange for a fringe player or two ( or even better ) to visit your mate. The club are pretty good on things like this..
Im sure your Mate would appreciate it.

Steve Perryman is an absolute gent. Hope your mate pulls through

Read more at Steve Perryman: 'I've been through a few things good and bad'

Steve Perryman: 'It probably gives me more of a buzz now to walk out at White Hart Lane'

Steve Perryman admits that it gives him more of a buzz to step out on the White Hart Lane pitch now than it did during his 17 years playing for Tottenham Hotspur.

The right-back, who played 854 times for Spurs – the club record – and won six trophies during the 1970s and 80s, was the special guest at half-time during the Lilywhites' 2-0 victory against Manchester City.

"In a way it gives me more of a buzz to be on the pitch now," admitted Perryman, now 64 and the director of football at Exeter City. "When you're on it four or five times a month it becomes run of the mill, you're there and it's what you do, it's your job.

"All of a sudden you're stood on that pitch once a year or even less once every two years. It's a place that I joined as a 15-year-old boy. I stayed and ended up leaving there years later and hopefully with a lot of lessons learned and grown up a bit.

"I've been through a few things for good and bad, mostly good but some bad as well and yeah, you come through the other side of it and look back on it being a great place to have worked and therefore to return to."

Perryman, who will be talking about his 50 years in football at The Windmill Pub in Cheshunt on October 16, also explained what it means to be pretty much a one-club man. He wound down the last couple of years of his career, after leaving Tottenham at 35, at Oxford United and then Brentford.

"You lose and you gain. Being a one club man you lose because obviously there's not the financial gain, if you move five times you sort of get a payday every time," he said.

"If you don't move, you don't get the payday but where you gain is people respect you. I don't think it makes them think any more of you as a player, but they start to then judge you as a man and as a loyal man as they see me because I have the same desire and wish to stay with their club as they have."

He added: "Of course it's not possible through your whole career because that club doesn't want you for all of your career. You move on and your legs get tired and you go to new pastures and that's the way it works.

"That's why it's always good to reacquaint yourself with the place and the people. Although when you're playing it's just a sea of heads.

"When you come back it's just a sea of heads but you're assuming that some of them are the same sort of people, there are new and old and some died, but basically in a place where you're understood and you understand them and it can't be a bad thing."

Related: Tottenham Hotspur legend Steve Perryman on who he supports, his appearance record and AC Milan

Perryman gave everyone a scare in 2012 when he collapsed at an Exeter game and needed surgery to fix a torn aorta, which had meant that blood was leaking from one of his main arteries into his body.

Fortunately the care he received at the ground and then at hospital saved his life, and he admitted then that if he was not in such a public place when he collapsed he probably would not be here now.

Today Perryman is back to his old self, loving life with Exeter and still following his old club closely.

The former defender also gave his thoughts on the current Spurs side. While many people see Tottenham's draw at Chelsea last season as the match when Pochettino's men lost their heads and the title, Perryman felt there were positives during the performance and hopes the team will learn from the negatives.

"I always talk about the first half at Chelsea being the best first half performance I've seen for many a year. They were under extreme pressure to win that game and to play and the tackles were flying in and they produced and got two goals," he said.

"They had a crazy five minutes later on so a lot of my friends said 'they're only young Steve and you want them to compete don't you' and all of that. Yes, but in control and you learn about that the more you play.

"I think what I saw against Manchester City at the weekend wasn't two teams having a real nasty aggressive game with each other but it was a physical battle in terms of reactions and ability to press the ball and stuff like that and they more than answered any doubts I may have had on them.

"At some point in the season it's going to come to that slugging out with someone and have they learnt? Please God they have because they've got most of everything else they need."

Perryman will be talking about much, much more on October 16 at The Windmill Pub in Cheshunt. Tickets are £10. The pub's phone number is 01992 309222.

Read more at Steve Perryman: 'I've been through a few things good and bad'

I'm sitting in some hipster pub in Tooting before the funeral of my mate in a couple of hours (wishing I'd not worn socks and quickly grown a beard) and reading that has made me so happy that the Legend himself took the time to ring my mate and make his last few days that little bit more bearable and gave a bit of comfort to his family.

'Some old, some new & some died' lump in the throat.

Thanks Steve P and RIP Steve M.

I'm sitting in some hipster pub in Tooting before the funeral of my mate in a couple of hours (wishing I'd not worn socks and quickly grown a beard) and reading that has made me so happy that the Legend himself took the time to ring my mate and make his last few days that little bit more bearable and gave a bit of comfort to his family.

'Some old, some new & some died' lump in the throat.

Thanks Steve P and RIP Steve M.
RIP Steve

God bless, one of the Old School. God speed to your mate, may his Park lane silk scarf never fade.

Back
Top Bottom