Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sitting in some hipster pub in Tooting before the funeral of my mate in a couple of hours (wishing I'd not worn socks and quickly grown a beard) and reading that has made me so happy that the Legend himself took the time to ring my mate and make his last few days that little bit more bearable and gave a bit of comfort to his family.

'Some old, some new & some died' lump in the throat.

Thanks Steve P and RIP Steve M.

On my way home. Worse for wear.

Hope you're bearing up (and recovering by the sound of it) after yesterday.
Thoughts are with ya fella.

I'm sitting in some hipster pub in Tooting before the funeral of my mate in a couple of hours (wishing I'd not worn socks and quickly grown a beard) and reading that has made me so happy that the Legend himself took the time to ring my mate and make his last few days that little bit more bearable and gave a bit of comfort to his family.

'Some old, some new & some died' lump in the throat.

Thanks Steve P and RIP Steve M.

Sorry to hear that mate. But the ride is always worth the fall, and if sang 'Tottenham boys, we are here .. ' then he had one hell of a ride. Only us old timers know about that. Forever Spurs.

Will say a prayer and light a candle for your friend, RIP Steve M.

And not suprised that Mr P did what he did - it always warms my heart when he steps out on the pitch at the Lane.

I hope you're planning summit nice for your 'other half' tonight Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman ???
oops, was out with my bit on the side on Wed, went to see Motown the Musical.
Happy Belated Birthday, my lovely.
PS Last time I actually saw Mr P, was after the Man City game, saw him and Tony Galvin - did manage to shake both their hands, albeit I was tucking into a bag of chips, so fingers stunk of vinegar!!!!

Had the opportunity to attend an Evening with Steve Perryman last night.

He's An absolute class act based on the experience.

Old school, no nonsense attitude and person. Far too decent and honest for the modern world.

Listening to him I felt like I grew up around people with his approach to life, people who stand up to the "suits" and put others interests before their own for the greater good. People like that get fewer and fewer I feel.

He was very pointed about Spurs in the mid nighties and the shit attitude of the board. A few sentences and you could better understand why we were so buggered under Sugar ( & the regime before him ) and why it got so bad.

Good to see Steve appear in good health too. If you get a chance to attend one of these evenings with do not hesitate if it's Steve Perryman !

Old school, no nonsense attitude and person. Far too decent and honest for the modern world.

Listening to him I felt like I grew up around people with his approach to life, people who stand up to the "suits" and put others interests before their own for the greater good. People like that get fewer and fewer I feel.

He was very pointed about Spurs in the mid nighties and the shit attitude of the board. A few sentences and you could better understand why we were so buggered under Sugar ( & the regime before him ) and why it got so bad.

Good to see Steve appear in good health too. If you get a chance to attend one of these evenings with do not hesitate if it's Steve Perryman !
Would you mind elaborating on that? What was going on back then

In my Non League days, I met Steve in the Boardroom at Enfield's old Southbury Road ground. He was with Tommy Harmer and and a very frail Sir Bill.
Tommy Harmer, you old gits may remember, was a star for Spurs during the 50s and joined Chelsea after leaving us. He must have been in his 70s then but was as lean as a whippet, and sharp as a tack. He was only about 5'6" and I thought how did he excel in those boots, with that ball, on those pitches, against those brutes.
Sir Bill sadly, was suffering from Parkinson's then and was very shaky. I was humbled by the reverence and love that the two ex players treated him with, and being in their company was almost surreal.
They were extremely approachable and happy to answer my questions. It was an incredible experience, one which I walked away from thinking, "did that really happen?"
They say that you should never meet your heroes. Don't believe them.

I'm so pleased for Mrs P, Woolwich get beat and a great post about a living legend.
Hold on tight Mr P. It seems the Stars have aligned for you fella.
:ossie:

Would you mind elaborating on that? What was going on back then
First thing he was keen to stress was that Ossie was a top draw manager for Spurs but that he was having the ground dig out from under him at boardroom level.

He said the overall disconnect between the boardroom and the playing staff was too great and that too many people simply would not stand up to the behavior of Sugar and Claude Litner due to fear of losing their jobs and it created an environment that was, in his opinion, nowhere what it needed to be to be successful. The business people did not understand football and it affected the overall performance of the club on the pitch.

He told a story about how the club had non football employees who were on bonuses to cut costs and how youth team players were asked to sign disclaimers that said if they were injured it would be their fault and the club would have no liability. These disclaimers had the knock on effect of cutting down on the insurance premiums & saving money for the guys in the boardroom (= a bonus for Litner ) while completely fucking the player over.

Perryman said he challenged their attitude saying anyone who is injured playing for the club needed to be looked after by the club. He was very reasonable in how he explained this story - did a better job than me explaining this !

I always wondered why he did not get the job post Ossie and I suspect he wonders this too - giving it to the pigeon fancier from QPR rather than Perryman was a disgusting move - I understand now why he did not get that chance. He's no creep. He is a winner.

In regards to the current team he was clear that he did not watch us much. But what he had seen was positive and it was coming together. He said that Ossie is very close to Poch and the club and that everything is top draw and Poch is a great manager. He felt the team lacked a little bit of leadership in the harder games and that Toby should be the captain ( seemed to question the merits of a captain being the keeper )

In his view if Dembele had been sent off at Chelsea last year we would likely have won the game with 10 men as the half time talk would have been different and the approach of the team different in the second half. That was an interesting thing to hear. He said there is no place on the pitch for losing your head and focus at all times was important.

Last edited:
First thing he was keen to stress was that Ossie was a top draw manager for Spurs but that he was having the ground dig out from under him at boardroom level.

He said the overall disconnect between the boardroom and the playing staff was too great and that too many people simply would not stand up to the behavior of Sugar and Claude Litner due to fear of losing their jobs and it created an environment that was, in his opinion, nowhere what it needed to be to be successful. The business people did not understand football and it affected the overall performance of the club on the pitch.

He told a story about how the club had non football employees who were on bonuses to cut costs and how youth team players were asked to sign disclaimers that said if they were injured it would be their fault and the club would have no liability. These disclaimers had the knock on effect of cutting down on the insurance premiums & saving money for the guys in the boardroom (= a bonus for Litner ) while completely fucking the player over.

Perryman said he challenged their attitude saying anyone who is injured playing for the club needed to be looked after by the club. He was very reasonable in how he explained this story - did a better job than me explaining this !

I always wondered why he did not get the job post Ossie and I suspect he wonders this too - giving it to the pigeon fancier from QPR rather than Perryman was a disgusting move - I understand now why he did not get that chance. He's no creep. He is a winner.

In regards to the current team he was clear that he did not watch us much. But what he had seen was positive and it was coming together. He said that Ossie is very close to Poch and the club and that everything is top draw and Poch is a great manager. He felt the team lacked a little bit of leadership in the harder games and that Toby should be the captain ( seemed to question the merits of a captain being the keeper )

In his view if Dembele had been sent off at Chelsea last year we would likely have won the game with 10 men as the half time talk would have been different and the approach of the team different in the second half. That was an interesting thing to hear. He said there is no place on the pitch for losing your head and focus at all times was important.
Thanks, very interesting read

Already got the book but think, I'll take it down with me to get it signed by the great man (Think that might piss off Waterstones, anyone been to a book signing before? Would I get away with doing that if I haven't bought a copy from them?)

Already got the book but think, I'll take it down with me to get it signed by the great man (Think that might piss off Waterstones, anyone been to a book signing before? Would I get away with doing that if I haven't bought a copy from them?)

Done it before at band signings at record stores.. Would hope similar attitude would apply.

Defo worth a punt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom