Spurs want Bilbao trio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What did Modric dictate exactly? The last pairing of strikers we had that were getting service were Berbs and Keano (before Modric).

Fact

Modric dictated endless empty possession. Most of our strikers etc had problems scoring: Bent, Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Pav etc etc. Bale went on fire when Modders left. Scored twice as many goals in less games.

Fact.

In his first season Modders could not even dictate hardly any assists with frickin Ronaldo in the team and the special one in charge! He dictated worst signing award from Real fans.

Fact

Now he can't possibly fail in a team with Bale and Ronaldo...Even Modders can't fuck up setting up two of the best wingers in the world. All you have to do for Modric to dictate things, is spend all of the money forever.

That happened. They were something like 10 points off at one point. Bale signs and eventually they turn it around. Record fee.

I'm well aware of that. The award was voted for in december ffs. He went on to have an amazing second half of the season and many Madrid fans would argue that he's been their best player this season.

Watch some fucking football ffs.

WATCH some football? It's obvious Modric looks AMAZING on the ball. I'm just saying he did not dictate much substance. There was one stat where he made more passes than almost everyone in the league. Over a 1000 completed passes. He was on something like 2 assists. You could blindfold yourself, kick the ball as hard as you can in the air over a 1000 times and get more assists than that. He was not a visionary on the pitch. He could not unlock defenses. It's a myth. He was a world class passer that chose safety first. He was world class at riding tackles but shied away from the final third.

We would dominate teams, then scratch our heads why did we lose points?

Empty possession. Starved strikers. Offside strikers. Sacked managers.

he is a great player...But he did not dictate anything, and when he was injured, we only missed his style, not his substance because it is a fact that our points totals did not change when he was out.

What did Modric dictate exactly? The last pairing of strikers we had that were getting service were Berbs and Keano (before Modric). Modric dictated endless empty possession. Most of our strikers etc had problems scoring: Bent, Keane, Defoe, Crouch, Pav etc etc. Bale went on fire when Modders left. Scored twice as many goals in less games.

In fact when Modric broke his leg, Kranj came in and scored and assisted for fun in his absence and we made CL.

In his first season Modders could not even dictate hardly any assists with frickin Ronaldo in the team and the special one in charge! He dictated worst signing award from Real fans.

Now he can't possibly fail in a team with Bale and Ronaldo...Even Modders can't fuck up setting up two of the best wingers in the world. All you have to do for Modric to dictate things, is spend all of the money forever.

Modirc "making us tick" is probably the biggest misnomer in our modern history. One season he dictated Defoe having the offside record in the prem. Another season he dictated out worst ever start to a season where we were bottom of the table. He dictated Bales losing streak with us. He dictated Ramos out the door.

What is your agenda guy? The winger/midfield issue was one thing, but this is hall of fame stuff. My God do you behold things incorrectly.

What is your agenda guy? The winger/midfield issue was one thing, but this is hall of fame stuff. My God do you behold things incorrectly.

My agenda is IMO players like Modric who are easy on the eye but leave us soft in the middle, does not create enough assists/goals and leaves us vulnerable in other aspects of the game...has kept us out of the title hunt for over 50 years.

I'm sick of being entertained and watching the scum pip us at the post.

I do have an agenda.
It's to open peoples eyes that everything that glitters is not gold. Townsend, Lennon, Rose etc are pretty much proving my point beautifully this season.

This guy is hankering for "a" Modric. Do you know how soft we would be? Townsend, Lennon, Modric, Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela, Rose etc etc? People need to appreciate Eriksen more...Because he does not dissolve and shit his pants in the final third like Modric. Fuck Modrat.

WATCH some football? It's obvious Modric looks AMAZING on the ball. I'm just saying he did not dictate much substance. There was one stat where he made more passes than almost everyone in the league. Over a 1000 completed passes. He was on something like 2 assists. You could blindfold yourself, kick the ball as hard as you can in the air over a 1000 times and get more assists than that. He was not a visionary on the pitch. He could not unlock defenses. It's a myth. He was a world class passer that chose safety first. He was world class at riding tackles but shied away from the final third.

We would dominate teams, then scratch our heads why did we lose points?

Empty possession. Starved strikers. Offside strikers. Sacked managers.

he is a great player...But he did not dictate anything, and when he was injured, we only missed his style, not his substance because it is a fact that our points totals did not change when he was out.

Contribution to a team is not measured by assists. Xavi has 2 assists this season, guess he's contributed fuck all to Barca, may as well replace him with Steven Davis because he's got 6 assists this season.

Modric and Xavi are the deeper lying players in their teams, they control the game and distribute the ball to the players in the final third, who generally get the assists.

"He was not a visionary on the pitch. He could not unlock defenses. It's a myth"

^ This is just utter, utter bollocks. Seen him doing it hundreds of times with my own eyes.

Our points total didn't change because we had Gareth Bale scoring fucking worldies in the last minute in about 8 games. Our football was dire and we couldn't break teams down.

This guy is hankering for "a" Modric. Do you know how soft we would be? Townsend, Lennon, Modric, Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela, Rose etc etc? People need to appreciate Eriksen more...Because he does not dissolve and shit his pants in the final third like Modric. Fuck Modrat.

Hahaha we'd have strolled top 4 at a canter with Modric this season.

Do you honestly think we're better off with any combination of Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho in the middle than we would with Modric? Only one of those three can turn a run past a man and when he does he hasn't got a fucking clue what to do with the ball.

Most were not opinions. Actual things that happened. No Modric, and Bale went into super saiyan football god mode. You can crave Modric if you like. But he did not dictate anything. Bale showed him this season what a TRUE star signing does.

They had to buy the most expensive player ever, to stop the slump Modric was at the heart of. Even ratboy Judas can't fuck up anything with Ronaldo and Bale on the pitch.

Empty possession? Modric dictated our 2 highest scoring seasons in Premier League history. Dictated our only two top 4 PL finishes ever. Dictated us to a league cup final where we lost in a shootout to United.

Defoe scoring drought? He dictated Defoe's highest scoring season ever.

Bent scoring drought? Bent scored 17 in 43 games in his only seasons with Modric and had 8 in 36 without Modric.

Him and Keane only played half a season together after Keane's weird return from his childhood club.

Adebayor scoring drought? He dictated Adebayor's second highest scoring season ever.

He dictated Van der Vaart to a top 5 strike rate in our Premier League history. Adebayor is also third and we saw how he did last season when Modric was removed last season and not replaced.

Got Ramos fired? He started 5 games before Ramos got the sack and it was his first season.

He dictated us playing the best football most of us have ever seen during the first two thirds of the 2011-2012 season and to a champions league quarter-final.

The reason why Bale started averaging more goals last season was because his shots per game increased 150% because he was playing besides Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Parker, Lennon, Defoe and a woefully out of form Adebayor. With Modric in the side Bale probably would have scored 35.

#buried you utter plum.

Empty possession? Modric dictated 2 of our highest scoring seasons in Premier League history. Dictated our only two top 4 PL finishes ever. Dictated us to a league cup final where we lost in a shootout to United.

Defoe scoring drought? He dictated Defoe's highest scoring season ever.

Bent scoring drought? Bent scored 17 in 43 games in his only seasons with Modric and had 8 in 36 without Modric,

Him and Keane only played half a season together after Keane's weird return from his childhood club.

Adebayor scoring drought? He dictated Adebayor's second highest scoring season ever.

He dictated Van der Vaart to a top 5 strike rate in our Premier League history. Adebayor is also third and we saw how he did last season when Modric was removed last season and not replaced.

Got Ramos fired? He started 5 games before Ramos got the sack and it was his first season.

He dictated us playing the best football most of us have ever seen during the first two thirds of the 2011-2012 season and to a champions league quarter-final.

The reason why Bale started averaging more goals last season was because his shots per game increases 150% because he was playing besides Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Parker, Lennon, Defoe and a woefully out of form Adebayor. With Modric in the side Bale probably would have scored 35.

#buried you utter plum.

On the Bale issue specifically, the increased number of shots was due to a massive surge in confidence due to a variety of factors (pinned ears, massive weight gain, and finally handed primary attack responsibility and sole team superstar status), not a lack of Modric. That Bale improved in lieu of Modric's departure is just a hysterically absurd notion. One of the best I've seen on any forum ever if I'm frank.

Turns out they pulled out due to a 32 mill release clause..

..which has now risen to 37 mill..... not sure about this, probably better options around for substantially less than that value

Agreed. I'm still not sure we were even there to look at him. I think observers just made the connection on the basis that we're always looking out for central midfielders.

Modric is definitely a player who falls victim to these goals and assists stats. A lot of the time the player who creates the move doesn't get credited with an assist, especially if you're in a deeper role.

To say Modric wasn't able to unlock a defence is utter bollocks, he has left a hole we've yet to find a replacement to fill. He made a huge impact to our team, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to find stats to back it up because it was plain as day to see.

My agenda is IMO players like Modric who are easy on the eye but leave us soft in the middle, does not create enough assists/goals and leaves us vulnerable in other aspects of the game...has kept us out of the title hunt for over 50 years.

I'm sick of being entertained and watching the scum pip us at the post.

I do have an agenda.
It's to open peoples eyes that everything that glitters is not gold. Townsend, Lennon, Rose etc are pretty much proving my point beautifully this season.

My God I just don't even know where to start. I guess the only logical assumption I can give in your defense is that you grew up in an American football culture and have failed to make the necessary distinctions between the sports.

American football: game is controlled by the battle at the line of scrimmage

Association football: game is controlled by possession and movement

That should be a good start. I'd be happy to make any other distinctions you'd like to discuss. I too grew up in an American football culture (Alabama), so I'd be happy to help out where I can.

Back
Top Bottom