Spurs want Bilbao trio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which, considering the comments of our current manager (I trust we are assuming any transfer targets will be agreed by the manager?) about signing Prem proven, preferably English players, I find this rumour to be a strange one.

That's on the assumption that the manager remains unchanged....

Which, considering the comments of our current manager (I trust we are assuming any transfer targets will be agreed by the manager?) about signing Prem proven, preferably English players, I find this rumour to be a strange one.

I don't think there's any reason to assume that our manager will have significant say in our transfer dealings considering Levy's history. Either way, transfers take a lot of groundwork so Levy and Co. are probably just doing preliminary work and feeling out values for lots of targets currently. Feels like that's normal pre-summer prep.

Marca reported a couple of days ago that we had people at the Bilbao game. That's probably where this is all coming from. It's probably true we had scouts there because they have a lot of attractive transfer targets but successfully buying them is an entirely different proposal.

I'll just leave this here

/end of modric discussion

Posted 24/11/2012 Gibbs131

"I'll fire that "must never played" wank right back at you: IT'S OBVIOUS why people rate Modric. It's not subtle. He has world class close control and passing. What are you trying to say? That I can't spot the BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS stuff he does? He finds space and distributes the ball. "

Five pages? Is it worth reading back over the thread?

Not really. Usual stuff. Gibbs says player is terrible, posts random stuff from irrelevant/unreliable sources to justify argument then, when lost point, paste in his own quote which contradicts original point.

Same as every other thread I guess. sigh...

That's on the assumption that the manager remains unchanged....

Well the rumour in itself suggests more than just a player signing then.

I don't think there's any reason to assume that our manager will have significant say in our transfer dealings considering Levy's history. Either way, transfers take a lot of groundwork so Levy and Co. are probably just doing preliminary work and feeling out values for lots of targets currently. Feels like that's normal pre-summer prep.

Marca reported a couple of days ago that we had people at the Bilbao game. That's probably where this is all coming from. It's probably true we had scouts there because they have a lot of attractive transfer targets but successfully buying them is an entirely different proposal.

As true as this could well be, it does bug me that any potential new manager will only have the option of dealing with what he has and has little choice in the players purchased. If managers have a vision / style / philosophy on how they want to set the team up and how they play, surely they need to have the final say on who is recruited?

As you say, there is nothing concrete in scouting...we probably scout a hundred of players a year only to buy 3, but as I said above, surely our scouts have a remit, a type of player they are looking for or certain attributes that they feel would be key for such a player...but then, how could they if we don't know who will be manager next season or what they are intending to do.

Not really. Usual stuff. Gibbs says player is terrible, posts random stuff from irrelevant/unreliable sources to justify argument then, when lost point, paste in his own quote which contradicts original point.

I kinda wanted to give Gibbs' his due. He kinda strikes me as a bit like Sammy. Not everything he says is garbage. But I'm really not sure what to think.

Avoid at all costs. I regret my role in it.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/e...p-urges-tottenham-fans-not-to-boo-luka-modric

Modric%2BDobby.jpg

Gibbs says player is terrible, posts random stuff from irrelevant/unreliable sources to justify argument then, when lost point, paste in his own quote which contradicts original point.

Where's_Waldo_The_Fantastic_Journey_Cover.jpg

irrelevant_topic_logo2.gif

Question_Mark.jpg

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

I dunno man...It seems like a very Spursy player. Short, gifted, his previous season he had 1 goal and 1 assist in the league. IMO it sounds like another you know what...Easy on the eye but ultimately not much end product. I could be wrong. I don't follow other teams...All my energy is Spurs focussed.

SoundsFamiliar-320.png

Well the rumour in itself suggests more than just a player signing then.

As true as this could well be, it does bug me that any potential new manager will only have the option of dealing with what he has and has little choice in the players purchased. If managers have a vision / style / philosophy on how they want to set the team up and how they play, surely they need to have the final say on who is recruited?

As you say, there is nothing concrete in scouting...we probably scout a hundred of players a year only to buy 3, but as I said above, surely our scouts have a remit, a type of player they are looking for or certain attributes that they feel would be key for such a player...but then, how could they if we don't know who will be manager next season or what they are intending to do.

Totally agree with that. I'm not a Levy Out type but I do think one of his biggest faults is that it never seems that the manager is getting who he wants. There's a hundred different things that go into transfers so it isn't always fair to prescribe blame. You can't really blame Levy for not buying Hulk like AVB wanted considering he cost Zenit 50m but could Levy have done more to get Moutinho or Villa? Who knows but my suspicion would be yes. Ultimately it seems like neither AVB or Redknapp really got the players they wanted so you have to look at Levy.

As for now we are in a Catch 22 situation. Transfers are negotiated and the legwork is done year round but we don't know who our manager so what do we do? We have to be out scouting and recruiting but don't know if it will pay off when our next manager comes in. Another underrated aspect of having manager stability. Still they have to be out scouting and continuing on with business as usual or we'd be killing them for being lazy. Hopefully it will help our new manager out in some fashion.

Back
Top Bottom