Spurs want Bilbao trio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I kinda wanted to give Gibbs' his due. He kinda strikes me as a bit like Sammy. Not everything he says is garbage. But I'm really not sure what to think.

I think that's part of what makes him so frustrating. From his dialect and vocabulary it's clear he's at least not uneducated, has some points I'd very much like to agree with him on (I actually absolutely agree that we've too many soft pretty boys in the squad and not enough grit, but I think his targeted players and positions are misplaced), but then he drops these mind-numbing bombs that are just so stunning in their fallibility that I can't help but engage. He's like an angler-fish, grabs you in with a pretty blue light that is decent rhetoric and valid points, but then these gangly, gnarly-ass teeth appear out of the darkness that is rationale of just sheer incorrect folly.

My unexaggerated take is that he's grown up watching ESPN Sportscenter, from which all discussion and points are based entirely on statistics due to the inherent traits of American sports. In fact, without endless statistics, American ESPN would cease to exist. More numbers roll across the screen than a stock exchange channel. But his is association football, stats don't even tell the majority of the picture in this great sport. He must realize this in his nirvana journey that leads to adequate and appropriate football discussion.

lol - is this twat on meth?

I'm not the one bringing up Judas Modric. But I will drop this one. I won't say another word about Modders in this thread.
cliche_technically_correct.jpg

I think that's part of what makes him so frustrating. From his dialect and vocabulary it's clear he's at least not uneducated, has some points I'd very much like to agree with him on (I actually absolutely agree that we've too many soft pretty boys in the squad and not enough grit, but I think his targeted players and positions are misplaced), but then he drops these mind-numbing bombs that are just so stunning in their fallibility that I can't help but engage. He's like an angler-fish, grabs you in with a pretty blue light that is decent rhetoric and valid points, but then these gangly, gnarly-ass teeth appear out of the darkness that is rationale of just sheer incorrect folly.

My unexaggerated take is that he's grown up watching ESPN Sportscenter, from which all discussion and points are based entirely on statistics due to the inherent traits of American sports. In fact, without endless statistics, American ESPN would cease to exist. More numbers roll across the screen than a stock exchange channel. But his is association football, stats don't even tell the majority of the picture in this great sport. He must realize this in his nirvana journey that leads to adequate and appropriate football discussion.
Is he American?

Totally agree with that. I'm not a Levy Out type but I do think one of his biggest faults is that it never seems that the manager is getting who he wants. There's a hundred different things that go into transfers so it isn't always fair to prescribe blame. You can't really blame Levy for not buying Hulk like AVB wanted considering he cost Zenit 50m but could Levy have done more to get Moutinho or Villa? Who knows but my suspicion would be yes. Ultimately it seems like neither AVB or Redknapp really got the players they wanted so you have to look at Levy.

As for now we are in a Catch 22 situation. Transfers are negotiated and the legwork is done year round but we don't know who our manager so what do we do? We have to be out scouting and recruiting but don't know if it will pay off when our next manager comes in. Another underrated aspect of having manager stability. Still they have to be out scouting and continuing on with business as usual or we'd be killing them for being lazy. Hopefully it will help our new manager out in some fashion.

I was under the impression that nothing could say villa once Atletico registered an interest, so the only confusing one is Moutinho

I was under the impression that nothing could say villa once Atletico registered an interest, so the only confusing one is Moutinho

I think that's how it would have ended regardless but Villa made some comment about how our approach for him was strange. My overall point was that it seems like Levy does a lot of the purchasing over the managers head. It works sometimes like supposedly with Eriksen but it isn't a huge wonder that he falls out with managers if that's how the business is done.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-transfer-market-go-slow-blamed-david-2057470

The former Valencia marksman said: "It is true the idea was for me to go to the Premier League, because the biggest offers came from there.

"But then Atletico Madrid showed up and they did more in three days than others did in months."

We just do our business strangely sometimes.

I think that's how it would have ended regardless but Villa made some comment about how our approach for him was strange. My overall point was that it seems like Levy does a lot of the purchasing over the managers head. It works sometimes like supposedly with Eriksen but it isn't a huge wonder that he falls out with managers if that's how the business is done.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-transfer-market-go-slow-blamed-david-2057470

The former Valencia marksman said: "It is true the idea was for me to go to the Premier League, because the biggest offers came from there.

"But then Atletico Madrid showed up and they did more in three days than others did in months."

We just do our business strangely sometimes.

Perhaps. Could understand the risk of rushing into a big-money long term contract for a player in his 30's and unproven in the PL. Dunno though, I empathise with how difficult it must be to maintain the illusion that we are capable of signing such popular players with a relatively small income in comparison to rival teams.

Perhaps. Could understand the risk of rushing into a big-money long term contract for a player in his 30's and unproven in the PL. Dunno though, I empathise with how difficult it must be to maintain the illusion that we are capable of signing such popular players with a relatively small income in comparison to rival teams.

Well it doesn't sound like money was the issue in this case but rather our approach. He said the biggest offers were English.

I think Levy does a good job I think he just bites off a little more than he can chew on occasion. He can't be head scout, chairman, and director of football all at once. Plus, his brinksmanship has cost us on occasion. I just think he would be better off delegating a little more and trusting his manager.

Well it doesn't sound like money was the issue in this case but rather our approach. He said the biggest offers were English.

I think Levy does a good job I think he just bites off a little more than he can chew on occasion. He can't be head scout, chairman, and director of football all at once. Plus, his brinksmanship has cost us on occasion. I just think he would be better off delegating a little more and trusting his manager.

I think we've seen that a bit more with Baldini, I'm just worried that it's proven to be a bit of a poor decision though. Broomfield is back, at least.

I was perplexed as to how there were 100 posts' worth of information about a trio of Basques in one evening. Reckon I should've been able to guess what was actually behind the surge.

We have tried and we have bought good foreign players, that will hopefully produce to the level required in the next
campaign. 7 players all at the same time converged on the club, knowing very little about the club and even less about what is required in our league. In short an almost impossible task for any one to be able to integrate them into the club and prem football and to start producing results with style! Then when the displays "stuttered" this was deemed by some as unacceptable and the (premature) witch hunt of AVB stated! And in return, we got the anti-christ in TS!

We deserve everything we have got this season! No cohesion on the pitch. Embarrassing touchline antics. And possible the better players, now wanting to move on. And the most painful amusing thing for me, is that all the transfer rumours I,m hearing, are yet again, foreigners without any PL experience!

Buy PL experience and fund it by jettising all the dead wood!

A manger in (young/long-term) that will produce the spirit of... I,m hear for the long haul. You have the quality to achieve everything you want as a player at a club like Spurs. Facilities second to none. New stadium in prospect. If that dose not impress you, then go to City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Utd. But I would rather be an integral part of an emerging force, than a bit part player else where!

EPL Experience from now on!

COYS!!

We have tried and we have bought good foreign players, that will hopefully produce to the level required in the next campaign. 7 players all at the same time converged on the club, knowing very little about the club and even less about what is required in our league. In short an almost impossible task for any one to be able to integrate them into the club and prem football and to start producing results with style! Then when the displays "stuttered" this was deemed by some as unacceptable and the (premature) witch hunt of AVB stated! And in return, we got the anti-christ in TS!
We deserve everything we have got this season! No cohesion on the pitch. Embarrassing touchline antics. And possible the better players, now wanting to move on. And the most painful amusing thing for me, is that all the transfer rumours I,m hearing, are yet again, foreigners without any PL experience!

Buy PL experience and fund it by jettising all the dead wood!

A manger in (young/long-term) that will produce the spirit of... I,m hear for the long haul. You have the quality to achieve everything you want as a player at a club like Spurs. Facilities second to none. New stadium in prospect. If that dose not impress you, then go to City, Chelsea, Liverpool or Utd. But I would rather be an integral part of an emerging force, than a bit part player else where!

EPL Experience from now on!

COYS!!

While I agree that I'd prefer for some of our acquisitions to be of Prem experience, I cannot rule out foreign quality because Baldini has a shite eye for talent and brought in the wrong players at the wrong positions last summer.

Totally agree with that. I'm not a Levy Out type but I do think one of his biggest faults is that it never seems that the manager is getting who he wants. There's a hundred different things that go into transfers so it isn't always fair to prescribe blame. You can't really blame Levy for not buying Hulk like AVB wanted considering he cost Zenit 50m but could Levy have done more to get Moutinho or Villa? Who knows but my suspicion would be yes. Ultimately it seems like neither AVB or Redknapp really got the players they wanted so you have to look at Levy.

As for now we are in a Catch 22 situation. Transfers are negotiated and the legwork is done year round but we don't know who our manager so what do we do? We have to be out scouting and recruiting but don't know if it will pay off when our next manager comes in. Another underrated aspect of having manager stability. Still they have to be out scouting and continuing on with business as usual or we'd be killing them for being lazy. Hopefully it will help our new manager out in some fashion.

It's really rather funny because Levy has a reputation for being a fearsome negotiator and the least likely to blink first when it come to the crunch, when it comes down to incoming monies such as sponsorship deals (separate deals for cup and league shirts), player sales (record fees despite the buyer not wanting to pay more than their last record signing) and other such financial wizardry, I wouldn't swap Levy for anyone. But when it comes down to the footballing side of things, such as buying the right players at the right time, or making a decision on the manager, he can get things very wrong...it doesn't surprise me that he is so keen on having a DoF at the club to help him with the footballing side of things.

Back
Top Bottom