SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fourth place is an easier route to the Champions League than winning the Europa League. and that's where the £££ come from.
But how do we know if we can/can't win the EL without giving it a genuine go with a strong team? Has it ever been a priority for us as a club? Whereas, we get third place finally, into the CL & don't get out of the group. This year, is 4th actually easier when you look at the teams above us? Maybe (we stuffed the chavs for 45 minutes & the dippers threw away a commanding lead to lose to Bournemouth.) but it's looking more like a typical season than last year.
The irritation for me is that we didn't look good enough for CL, so why look down our noses at the second tier competition? And if we get into it, why not give it a go & take a different outlook on our season? FWIW, I do think that our strongest XI, fully rested for that tournament, has every chance of winning it. I'm so conflicted about it though. The EL is infrequent & I want to see our best XI tossing teams aside in the Premier league every week.

But how do we know if we can/can't win the EL without giving it a genuine go with a strong team? Has it ever been a priority for us as a club? Whereas, we get third place finally, into the CL & don't get out of the group. This year, is 4th actually easier when you look at the teams above us? Maybe (we stuffed the chavs for 45 minutes & the dippers threw away a commanding lead to lose to Bournemouth.) but it's looking more like a typical season than last year.
The irritation for me is that we didn't look good enough for CL, so why look down our noses at the second tier competition? And if we get into it, why not give it a go & take a different outlook on our season? FWIW, I do think that our strongest XI, fully rested for that tournament, has every chance of winning it. I'm so conflicted about it though. The EL is infrequent & I want to see our best XI tossing teams aside in the Premier league every week.
I'm with you, would love us to win the Europa League, or even reach the final at least, at the expense of a few league places if it has to be that way.

Fourth place is an easier route to the Champions League than winning the Europa League. and that's where the £££ come from.
We have to be consistent in the league to get a top four finish. We also have 4 other teams vying for those places. There are 9 matches including the final for EL, 2 legs until the final. Also a trophy which is far more winnable. As a fan the game is about the glory of trophies not finishing top 4 and money.

We have to be consistent in the league to get a top four finish. We also have 4 other teams vying for those places. There are 9 matches including the final for EL, 2 legs until the final. Also a trophy which is far more winnable. As a fan the game is about the glory of trophies not finishing top 4 and money.
Look at the odds if we get through to the EL- they'll be much higher than getting top four. I'd prefer winning the EL to fourth ( to 2nd and 3rd too) don't get me wrong, I was just saying why I think our management will target 4th over the EL.

I guess looking at the odds we are 5/4 to finish top four. If we get in the EL the odds of us winning it will be far higher. (though this probably takes into account our likelihood of playing a weaker team in it).

Edit: for instance, Man Utd, who are the current EL favourites, are 11/2 to win it.

Basically Levy will make the judgment that we are more likely to finish top four than win the EL. If we have one dodgy game in which we lose 3-0 we're probably out of the EL whereas you can afford that in the league and recover from it.

I think it's the wrong call though. Unless, of course, we can realistically win the league back when the EL starts up again. That's the one I want most to see us win.
5/4 for us to finish top 4 aren't odds I'd be licking my chops at. I'd love us to win the league too. But a European trophy isn't to be sniffed at- think of bragging rights if we went into the CL as trophy winners whilst Woolwich huffed & puffed their way to 4th place. I'm really warming to EL glory & going for gold, rather than scrapping for 4th. As JapesKay JapesKay says, quite rightly, a year out of Europe wouldn't kill such a young team- as long as they don't start handing in transfer requests. This also seems more likely the longer we go without silverware & medals for the lads. It's totally blown my fucking gaskets.

:walker-scream:

Look at the odds if we get through to the EL- they'll be much higher than getting top four. I'd prefer winning the EL to fourth ( to 2nd and 3rd too) don't get me wrong, I was just saying why I think our management will target 4th over the EL.

It doesn't start again until Feb, let's see how we're doing then, also the quality of opposition should be better and can throw up some nice ties. Our best side, fully fit one at least should be good enough.

We need to win this match because we need to get used to winning at Wembley. Next year every Tom, Dick and Harry from the prem is going to want to scalp us and we need to get over this Wembley curse Bullshit. A few ropey games in the europey league, should serve as a perfect tonic. Im going to the match tommorrow and i am hoping it will be one to remember for the right reasons. COYS

The odds will reflect how we have treated/performed in the EL. Watch those odds plummet if we field our best team in the first game (if we get there). I am convinced our best team wins, or comes extremely close, to winning the EL. Forget this half n half stuff we've seen. Squad rotation to me means having a player or two to come in if there is an injury or suspension & do a job. But wholesale changes haven't served this club well in Europe.

Do we finish 3rd and in front of the Scum or 7/8 and win EL?

Love to do both but either / or?

the europa league at the KO stages is good. The teams are usually pretty decent and the CL drop outs (like us?) join.
Whats not to like about knockout european action?
People seem totally pumped for the FA cup but for some reason not this. It would only 9 games including the final. FA cup is about 7. I don't get the logic.
100% this ^^^

Is it??
I thought playing 38 games over the course of a season (*in the toughest League in the World lest we forget!) to try and get 4th, would be infinitely harder than having to play 9 games (against distinctly mixed opposition) to win the Europa League...

Here is the Europa League 'Run-in':

16/02/17: Round of 32, first leg 23/02/17: Round of 32, second leg (2 Matches)
09/03/17: Round of 16, first leg 16/03/17: Round of 16, second leg (2 more)
13/04/17: Quarter-finals, first leg 20/04/17: Quarter-finals, second leg (...and another 2)
04/05/17: Semi-finals, first leg 11/05/17: Semi-finals, second leg (just the 2 again here)
24/05/17: Final (...1 more, and we're there!)

= That's a GRAND Total of 9 MATCHES to potentially Qualify for the Champions League

...and here are the Premier League games we would need to consistently do well in to stand a chance of finishing in 4th Place or better;

December 2016
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Hull City
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley
Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur

January 2017
Watford v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion
Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Middlesbrough
Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Stoke City

March 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Southampton

...and for those 'like-for-like' pedants... here is our actual 9 Game PL 'Run-in';

Tottenham Hotspur Last 9 Fixtures

April 2017

Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Watford
Tottenham Hotspur v Bournemouth
Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Woolwich

May 2017
West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Manchester United
Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur

I make that a Total of 24 games... TWENTY-FOUR! ...to finish 4th (or better!)

And to think, we're thumbing our noses at the Europa League
Pfffft!

100% this ^^^

Is it??
I thought playing 38 games over the course of a season (*in the toughest League in the World lest we forget!) to try and get 4th, would be infinitely harder than having to play 9 games (against distinctly mixed opposition) to win the Europa League...

13/04/17: Quarter-finals, first leg 20/04/17: Quarter-finals, second leg (...and another 2)
04/05/17: Semi-finals, first leg 11/05/17: Semi-finals, second leg (just the 2 again here)

= That's a GRAND Total of 9 MATCHES to potentially Qualify for the Champions League

...and here are the Premier League games we would need to consistently do well in to stand a chance of finishing in 4th Place or better;

December 2016
Tottenham Hotspur
v Hull City

January 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Chelsea

February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Stoke City

March 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Southampton

...and for those 'like-for-like' pedants... here is our actual 9 Game PL 'Run-in';

April 2017

Tottenham Hotspur
v Watford
Tottenham Hotspur
v Woolwich

May 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Manchester United

Pfffft!
Now, I like your point and I know there's some tongue in cheek hiding among it but just consider we've got top 4 3 times in the last 7 years, but have reached just the quarter finals of the Europa once in that time (twice? I forget.) .

We'll be something like 8-1 to win the Cup and maybe 2-1 or better to get top four later this week, if we don't lose against Moscow. Those scummy bookie cunts know what they're doing.

Anyway, I'd still prefer the cup win- more glory.

Last edited:
100% this ^^^

Is it??

December 2016
Tottenham Hotspur
v Hull City

January 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Chelsea

February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Stoke City

March 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Southampton

April 2017

Tottenham Hotspur
v Watford
Tottenham Hotspur
v Woolwich

May 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
v Manchester United

Pfffft!

I don't know what I like more; the points raised or the formatting. Lovely stuff.:ap:

Bit pissed of to say the least that the only ticket I could get is up in the clouds, have been to the last 2 games and I will get the same seat tomorrow when there are loads unsold on the lower tiers that will remain empty, in hindsight I would not have done the 3 match deal as for every game better seats have become available in the week before! :dembelefingers:

Yeah totally get that, I'd love to go tomorrow night im on the south cost and the train strikes have made it practically impossible to get home after the match. I've got three seats club wembley row 1 !!! Gutted is an understatement

The green man i went with dad last time was not bad atmosphere , WE GOT ALLIIIII DELLLEEEE ALIIIII , But going there again and hoping its the same atmosphere

Back
Top Bottom