SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why can't you?
Europa will inevitably be an unwelcome distraction in which Poch will rest players galore. He rested players for CL games so what you think hes gonna do for Europa games? and if we are not taking it serioysly whats the point in competing in it?
I get that. But look at the entitlement of it - let's try and lose a Champions League match - the exact competition we are always trying to get into, as we're above the Europa League. Fucking hell, tell that to a fan in the late nineties and they'd be disgusted .

And I disagree with how our manager treats the Europa League too. I'm no big fan of CL failures dropping into the Europa but I'd love to see us play a strong side in it. Would take winning the EL but finishing anywhere above 10th in the league. I'm sick of winning nothing.

I get that. But look at the entitlement of it - let's try and lose a Champions League match - the exact competition we are always trying to get into, as we're above the Europa League. Fucking hell, tell that to a fan in the late nineties and they'd be disgusted .
This is the inescapable truth. And tell it to a fan starting off in the mid seventies... watching us in the old second division as a 7 year old was my introduction to THFC. I'm torn because I want top 4 (& above the gooners) so bad. But to win a European trophy is something woolwich won't do this season. So I'm sold on EL & going balls deep to win it.

Surely if we can Qualify for the CL by WINNING a trophy (The Europa Lea... UEFA CUP!) rather than qualify for the same competition by finishing 4th and NOT WINNING a trophy, then SURELY we should go for the Trophy.

I know it only gets us to the Prelim/Qualifier stage.... but so does 4th... and unless we're aiming forc3rd/Runners up in the league... which I honestly don't know if we're capable of this season, then I know what I'd prefer!
Kind of what I was trying to get at. Note to self. Do not post when just woken up after an all nighter at work...

Bit pissed of to say the least that the only ticket I could get is up in the clouds, have been to the last 2 games and I will get the same seat tomorrow when there are loads unsold on the lower tiers that will remain empty, in hindsight I would not have done the 3 match deal as for every game better seats have become available in the week before! :dembelefingers:

Or see where we are in Feb? We need to start competing better in European competition otherwise if we get CL qualification again it'll be a repeat cycle. Need to learn to manage playing midweek as well as league at the weekend.
If we can't realistically win the league in Feb we should go all out for the EL and the FA Cup (or at least one of them). But Levy will make Poch go for top four in the league instead.

would anybody like a free ticket to this game? all you need to do is pick it up in central london

Bit pissed of to say the least that the only ticket I could get is up in the clouds, have been to the last 2 games and I will get the same seat tomorrow when there are loads unsold on the lower tiers that will remain empty, in hindsight I would not have done the 3 match deal as for every game better seats have become available in the week before! :dembelefingers:

Maybe you can help each other out?

If we can't realistically win the league in Feb we should go all out for the EL and the FA Cup (or at least one of them). But Levy will make Poch go for top four in the league instead.
I'm thinking about this & I can't get it round my head.
We strive for top 4, get there, then fail in the group stage. There is another route. Which gives us another European trophy as well- something woolwich have a distinct lack of, bearing in mind how many times they have qualified to get there.

Why would Levy make Poch prioritise top 4 (which seems clear considering how we treated the EL pre Poch) rather than go for glory & risk finishing 7th or 8th- which is realistically just below where we should expect to be in the PL based on how much the richer clubs have over us? It has to be down to money finishing higher up the table. But if that's the case, why did we fall apart against the barcodes when all we needed was a draw? This football shit plays with the old napper sometimes. :dempsey:

We strive for top 4, get there, then fail in the group stage. There is another route. Which gives us another European trophy as well- something woolwich have a distinct lack of, bearing in mind how many times they have qualified to get there.

Why would Levy make Poch prioritise top 4 (which seems clear considering how we treated the EL pre Poch) rather than go for glory & risk finishing 7th or 8th- which is realistically just below where we should expect to be in the PL based on how much the richer clubs have over us? It has to be down to money finishing higher up the table. But if that's the case, why did we fall apart against the barcodes when all we needed was a draw? This football shit plays with the old napper sometimes. :dempsey:

Have to agree. Plus, if we fall short and don't win the EL (which is a distinct possibility) AND end up 7th or 8th in the PL, at least we can do a Liverpool / Chelsea (or Leicester of last year) and invest more energy into winning the league. Basically, one season out of Europe might not be a bad thing.

I guess looking at the odds we are 5/4 to finish top four. If we get in the EL the odds of us winning it will be far higher. (though this probably takes into account our likelihood of playing a weaker team in it).

Edit: for instance, Man Utd, who are the current EL favourites, are 11/2 to win it.

Basically Levy will make the judgment that we are more likely to finish top four than win the EL. If we have one dodgy game in which we lose 3-0 we're probably out of the EL whereas you can afford that in the league and recover from it.

I think it's the wrong call though. Unless, of course, we can realistically win the league back when the EL starts up again. That's the one I want most to see us win.

MC, Scum, & MU are all expected to progress in European Football. Therefore only Chelsea & Liverpool have an advantage. I can see no reason why we should dip as low as 7th or 8th from where we are now. If we all decided to forgo European progress for Premier matches then before long we would have fewer teams allowed to qualify and the Premiership would no longer attract the top players.
We have to try and do both and perhaps play our strongest team to say play a Europa q/f and some reserves against say the likes of Swansea. Would the bus parkers actually attack more if we did that allowing us to hit on counterattack? We have about 15 good players and rotating them rather than playing complete weak teams. We are well overdue a trophy and that would be more memorable than 3rd last season. The problem occurs when we get say the Scum following a European match.

Fourth place is an easier route to the Champions League than winning the Europa League. and that's where the £££ come from.

Back
Top Bottom