SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can we just not play this game?
Turn back the clock just 10 years. We suddenly have a match at Wembley Stadium with the chance to reach the last 32 of the UEFA cup. Tickets would be sought after like gold nuggets. This thread would already be 50 pages long. Let's not get too fucking Woolwich about this. Enjoy the occasion. Who knows, we may even need this competition to reach next seasons CL. Imagine the glory of lifting another European trophy. We Are Spurs

My first ever match thread. So thought I better get it in early before someone else starts one. The Juande Ramos Derby ?
The eagerly awaited showdown at Wembley Stadium between the Glorious Tottenham Hotspur and CSKA from Moscow, Russia, in the 4th place shoot out to avoid Thursday nights in far flung, lowly football outposts such as Astra Giurgu, Qarabag FK and Old Trafford.
A point or a defeat will do it for Putins boys, whereas a win or draw for Spurs sees us drop into Europe's consolation cup.
The question on Everyone's lips is will the Poch Man really go for glory with the likes of Onomah, Vorm, Carter Vickers and Winks ?... Or will he surprise us all by giving a run out to Kane, Dele, Hugo etc and risk the unthinkable.
With an estimated 85000 tickets sold for the clash, the atmosphere is sure to be an electrifying mix of anticipation and celebration of our final match in this seasons Premier European competition
So, what of our Opponents
PFC Central Sport Club of the Army, Moscow.
The club was formed in 1905 and play at the Arena CSKA which holds 30,000
Their nickname is the horses, and they are managed by the wonderfully named Leo Slutsky. Slutsky took over from former much loved Spurs boss Juande Ramos in 2009.
He was a goalkeeper, but had to retire at just 19 after he fell out of a tree trying to rescue a cat.
CSKA have had many different names down the years, including Experimental & Demonstrational Playground of Military Administration. They have always had strong links to the Ministry of defence, both in the Soviet and Putin eras.
They recently balloted their members on the colour of their away strip. Pink wasn't an option.
They currently sitting 3rd in the RPL behind Zenit and local rivals Spartak
Famous fans include Mikhail Youzhny and Igor Butman.

So, the stage is set. Wembley awaits. The countdown begins.

JT prediction.

Spurs 0 CSKA 0

Edit. this is of course slightly tongue in cheek. I'll be there hoping for a thumping Spurs victory and look forward to Europa League glory in May
Only game I could get to due to work commitments. Am just looking forward to meeting my son at Euston, going on the piss, watching Spurs under the floodlights, at Wembley, then having a few more beers in the hotel bar rather than having to make the trip back across London to Woodford. I'm happy to be able to go. Obviously would have been delirious had we gone into the game with a chance of progressing. But I'm not complaining. Don't get to see Spurs as often as I'd like, & rarely have the opportunity to catch up with my son. To be able to do both on the same day is Christmas come early. Let's go out of the CL with a bang rather than a whimper.
3-0 Spurs. Ramos with a hat trick.

I'll be taking the 2 lads again and really hope we get an emphatic win. Don't care who plays, we just love to watch them play. Dropping into Europa will mean more matches we can get to this year so definitely hoping for the win in this house!

John Thomas

Go-Kartz 🏎 Cinemas🎬 Property 🏠Hotels 🏤 Golf⛳
My first ever match thread. So thought I better get it in early before someone else starts one. The Juande Ramos Derby ?
The eagerly awaited showdown at Wembley Stadium between the Glorious Tottenham Hotspur and CSKA from Moscow, Russia, in the 4th place shoot out to avoid Thursday nights in far flung, lowly football outposts such as Astra Giurgu, Qarabag FK and Old Trafford.
A point or a defeat will do it for Putins boys, whereas a win or draw for Spurs sees us drop into Europe's consolation cup.
The question on Everyone's lips is will the Poch Man really go for glory with the likes of Onomah, Vorm, Carter Vickers and Winks ?... Or will he surprise us all by giving a run out to Kane, Dele, Hugo etc and risk the unthinkable.
With an estimated 85000 tickets sold for the clash, the atmosphere is sure to be an electrifying mix of anticipation and celebration of our final match in this seasons Premier European competition
So, what of our Opponents
PFC Central Sport Club of the Army, Moscow.
The club was formed in 1905 and play at the Arena CSKA which holds 30,000
Their nickname is the horses, and they are managed by the wonderfully named Leo Slutsky. Slutsky took over from former much loved Spurs boss Juande Ramos in 2009.
He was a goalkeeper, but had to retire at just 19 after he fell out of a tree trying to rescue a cat.
CSKA have had many different names down the years, including Experimental & Demonstrational Playground of Military Administration. They have always had strong links to the Ministry of defence, both in the Soviet and Putin eras.
They recently balloted their members on the colour of their away strip. Pink wasn't an option.
They currently sitting 3rd in the RPL behind Zenit and local rivals Spartak
Famous fans include Mikhail Youzhny and Igor Butman.

So, the stage is set. Wembley awaits. The countdown begins.

JT prediction.

Spurs 0 CSKA 0

Edit. this is of course slightly tongue in cheek. I'll be there hoping for a thumping Spurs victory and look forward to Europa League glory in May

I just feel sorry for those who didn't/couldn't go- in a genuine way. Missing out on a really good Spurs performance at Wembley. Yes, it was a dead rubber match, but getting a chance to see a strong starting XI in a European match at Wembley is something I won't forget. Few beers with my lad, bit of banter in the hotel, a lovely mild evening to watch football & a thumping win- the score genuinely didn't reflect how completely we dominated them.
Toby back, Eriksen looking superb, Dele back on his A game, Kane looking deadly, Winks putting in the shift of a seasoned top flight European player.

A very enjoyable evening for a dead rubber

Last edited:
Can't believe the discussion among Spurs fans. We won't get near getting any success if we don't try to win any games.

Always go for a win, always.

the europa league at the KO stages is good. The teams are usually pretty decent and the CL drop outs (like us?) join.
Whats not to like about knockout european action?
People seem totally pumped for the FA cup but for some reason not this. It would only 9 games including the final. FA cup is about 7. I don't get the logic.
100% this ^^^

Fourth place is an easier route to the Champions League than winning the Europa League. and that's where the £££ come from.

Is it??
I thought playing 38 games over the course of a season (*in the toughest League in the World lest we forget!) to try and get 4th, would be infinitely harder than having to play 9 games (against distinctly mixed opposition) to win the Europa League...

Here is the Europa League 'Run-in':

16/02/17: Round of 32, first leg 23/02/17: Round of 32, second leg (2 Matches)
09/03/17: Round of 16, first leg 16/03/17: Round of 16, second leg (2 more)
13/04/17: Quarter-finals, first leg 20/04/17: Quarter-finals, second leg (...and another 2)
04/05/17: Semi-finals, first leg 11/05/17: Semi-finals, second leg (just the 2 again here)
24/05/17: Final (...1 more, and we're there!)

= That's a GRAND Total of 9 MATCHES to potentially Qualify for the Champions League

...and here are the Premier League games we would need to consistently do well in to stand a chance of finishing in 4th Place or better;

December 2016
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Hull City
Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley
Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur

January 2017
Watford v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion
Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

February 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Middlesbrough
Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Stoke City

March 2017
Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Southampton

...and for those 'like-for-like' pedants... here is our actual 9 Game PL 'Run-in';

Tottenham Hotspur Last 9 Fixtures

April 2017

Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Watford
Tottenham Hotspur v Bournemouth
Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Woolwich

May 2017
West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
v Manchester United
Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur

I make that a Total of 24 games... TWENTY-FOUR! ...to finish 4th (or better!)

And to think, we're thumbing our noses at the Europa League
Pfffft!

I get your sentiments. The overriding thing for me is winning a trophy not finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Surely the odds of winning the Europa are better than winning the PL. I want to see cups in the cabinet not hollow league placement. Strip away the money for league placing, there are no bragging rights really. There are for winning trophies though.
I fully agree. I remember winning the league cup in 99 and 08 more fondly than Crouchie's goal which sealed the CL, or any game of last season.

If it was up to me I would say take tonight seriously. Try and go on a run in the league, and if winning it is beyond us when the EL returns, play our best team in the EL and rest players in some selected league games (not against Arse, Chelsea or West Ham).

Reasons:
- there's more glory in winning trophies
- we are long overdue a trophy
- finished third last year
- we can mock the scum for only winning the 4th place cup
- if it fails a season without European football might allow us a title push (though possibly next season- at Wembley- is not the right one for this).

But money rules football so this isn't what will happen, I'm afraid.

Must admit, after the Monaco game, was thinking of giving this a miss, as I have an early start on Thursday. But you know what, sod it, I will go and cheer us on. After all, doesn't matter which players get selected, it's still a Spurs team and we support them whatever. I'm pretty ambivalent as to whether we qualify for EL or not. If we do, then it's a good competition to give the whole squad a chance to play; if we don't, then we can concentrate on the League :)

Get that Wembley monkey off our back with a thumping win, then try to do the same in the Europa, no matter who we get.

Can't be going into next season with Wembley as our ' home ' and a record there that's horrendous, time to bury it.

What it does do (qualification for EL) is give the squad players a chance to gain more experience/playing time. It also gives Poch more European experience & the opportunity to run the rule over his squad in competitive matches. It brings in more money for the club :)levylol:)
It also gives the fans more European nights out.

The only down side to it is that it is likely to have some impact on our chances of reaching the top 4
but is top 4 more important than a trophy? And a trophy that guarantees a spot in the same tournament, that a top 4 place gives us?

I've come to the conclusion that it's win/win regardless of the result. Either outcome is fine by me. I simply want to see us perform well.

But if you ask yourself "would I rather us not bother with the EL & concentrate on top 4, or would I rather us win the damn thing?" I'd be surprised if any fan would want us to finish top 4 ahead of winning the EL trophy.

I think people are concerned that we won't take it seriously though & deny ourselves the opportunity of winning it. The thing is, you can't win it if you ain't in it, & based on our CL performances this time around, we need more European experience.

Another thing that's just occurred to me- our first team probably has less experience in Europe than it should have- because we've rested some of our nailed on starters for PL fixtures over the past few seasons we have been in EL. Maybe we need the EL more than we would care to believe, to gain valuable experience of playing in Europe for a young squad?
Probably doesn't make much sense, but I understand what I'm getting at

:pritchardeyes:
Surely if we can Qualify for the CL by WINNING a trophy (The Europa Lea... UEFA CUP!) rather than qualify for the same competition by finishing 4th and NOT WINNING a trophy, then SURELY we should go for the Trophy.

I know it only gets us to the Prelim/Qualifier stage.... but so does 4th... and unless we're aiming forc3rd/Runners up in the league... which I honestly don't know if we're capable of this season, then I know what I'd prefer!

But how do we know if we can/can't win the EL without giving it a genuine go with a strong team? Has it ever been a priority for us as a club? Whereas, we get third place finally, into the CL & don't get out of the group. This year, is 4th actually easier when you look at the teams above us? Maybe (we stuffed the chavs for 45 minutes & the dippers threw away a commanding lead to lose to Bournemouth.) but it's looking more like a typical season than last year.
The irritation for me is that we didn't look good enough for CL, so why look down our noses at the second tier competition? And if we get into it, why not give it a go & take a different outlook on our season? FWIW, I do think that our strongest XI, fully rested for that tournament, has every chance of winning it. I'm so conflicted about it though. The EL is infrequent & I want to see our best XI tossing teams aside in the Premier league every week.
I'm with you, would love us to win the Europa League, or even reach the final at least, at the expense of a few league places if it has to be that way.

Back
Top Bottom