SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Either a very strong team or the reserves. None of this mix & match. Selfishly, I'd like to see a full strength team & a thrashing of the Russians. But I won't complain if we have the young(er) guns out in force. Just don't want to see a half & half set up. The more I read John Thomas John Thomas post about how we would have felt 10 yrs ago about getting into the last 32 of the UEFA cup by playing at Wembley, the more I'm hoping for a solid win & performance. Winning is a good habit. I like watching spurs. And the more games they play, the more I can watch & the more chance of us winning A trophy.

Last edited:
Must admit, after the Monaco game, was thinking of giving this a miss, as I have an early start on Thursday. But you know what, sod it, I will go and cheer us on. After all, doesn't matter which players get selected, it's still a Spurs team and we support them whatever. I'm pretty ambivalent as to whether we qualify for EL or not. If we do, then it's a good competition to give the whole squad a chance to play; if we don't, then we can concentrate on the League :)

I will play so we can even give our under 18's side a rest, bring in a select XI from all around the world made up of masked men who score own goals in order to avoid the Europa League.

Definitely would like Winks, N'Koudou and Wimmer to start this one. I remember N'Koudou causing them all sorts of problems in Russia when he came off the bench. Keep Wimmer fresh and this is a good game for Winks to start, anything but a loss gets us Europa League football and Winks will play a big part in that competition.

-------------------------Lloris--------------------
Trippier---------Dier-------Wimmer-----Rose
----------------Wanyama---Winks---------------
----Sissoko--------Onomah--------Nkodou--
--------------------------Janssen--------------------

Complete B-team please, except perhaps for players like Alderweireld and Lamela if they are fit enough to start this one, they could use the extra game-time. Our CL campaign has been a complete embarrassment, one match more or less won't change that. If we do enough to get through to the EL... fine, if not, no problem, it's an awful competition anyway. For some strange reason Pochettino couldn't be bothered with the CL, imagine what he will do with the EL...

---------------Lopez------------
-------Dier---------Wimmer----
Trippier----------------------Rose
----------Winks--Wanyama-----
Sissoko-------Carroll------Son
------------------Janssen---------

Give everyone else a rest for the Utd game.

Is it a win - win ?

Strange game this. Win or lose-who to play? My heart says win every game, try to win the EL-my head says lose and remove Europe games midweek.

On this occasion, Utd play Thurs so evens on the that front for Sunday.

We all know - no Europe game midweek, we would be a force for the PL. I feel Poch would feel this also. I don't want to play Olympiakos on a Thurs then Chelsea or LC on Sunday or Roma then Liverpool or WHU away and struggle. But I do want to play in Europe?

If this was at WHL then I'd be all over it. I love going to Tottenham whatever the relative prestige of the match. But Wembley is shit. It's crap to get to. The area is gash. The game itself is an embarrassment of a dead rubber for all the wrong reasons. They should let the fans play. Honestly. It's going to look like Stratford Hamsters with so many empty seats.

Is it a win - win ?

Strange game this. Win or lose-who to play? My heart says win every game, try to win the EL-my head says lose and remove Europe games midweek.

On this occasion, Utd play Thurs so evens on the that front for Sunday.

We all know - no Europe game midweek, we would be a force for the PL. I feel Poch would feel this also. I don't want to play Olympiakos on a Thurs then Chelsea or LC on Sunday or Roma then Liverpool or WHU away and struggle. But I do want to play in Europe?
Yep. It's certainly a low pressure game for us. The result doesn't matter because there are positives whether we win or lose. My only hope is that we put in a very good performance on the night. I think that's what everyone wants. An enjoyable performance we can be proud of. Whether that's a storming win with the strongest available team or whether it's a heroic baptism of fire for the fringe players. The performance is perhaps far more important than the result in this one.

We should be playing to win this and then aim to win the europa league.

Or we can concentrate on the 4th place trophy! Oh what glory.

Get that Wembley monkey off our back with a thumping win, then try to do the same in the Europa, no matter who we get.

Can't be going into next season with Wembley as our ' home ' and a record there that's horrendous, time to bury it.

We should be playing to win this and then aim to win the europa league.

Or we can concentrate on the 4th place trophy! Oh what glory.
Good point. Would you field a strong side for this or play the risk management game & use squad players because of the united game on Sunday?

I hope Toby gets a run out he needs to regain some match sharpness.

Also Utd have an away tie in Ukraine in the Europa League on Thursday, so not as if will have the same preparation time for Sunday either.

Good point. Would you field a strong side for this or play the risk management game & use squad players because of the united game on Sunday?
Personally I think we can win with some rotation. We managed to win the away leg although Wembley hasn't exactly been home yet. Certain players will be fine playing all 3 games and others won't.

For me, there seems very little point in qualifying for the EL only to go out in the next round when he plays the kids away against Benfica or some such.

The benefits are
  • More experience playing at Wembley before next season where we could be dreading every home game.
  • More experience for players like Onoma, CCV even Edwards, who probably won't see any playing time until next season otherwise, barring some lucky FA cup draws.
There's being optimistic and sentimental and there is being realistic. You can see how not having to play mid week has affected Liverpool and Chelsea's form this year. From a fitness point of view, and having a whole week to prepare for the next game.

I know the arguments about "what's the point finishing 4th if...." or "its a trophy we can win, we should just go for it". But If i'm honest i'm just sick of the EL. We've made the numbers up year after year. Earlier on they used to tout us one of the favourites to win it, but in reality we have never even been close and our form by large in the knockouts has been garbage.

So i'll give the half arsed, disjointed cobbled together squads and performances and the scrappy results a miss thanks. I would dearly love to see us win it. But it's unlikely the manager will take it as seriously as the supporters will so bin it off.

Back
Top Bottom