SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vorm
Trippier - CCV - Wimmer - Rose (KWP, if he's a LB, not sure if he's a righty or lefty)
Winks - Dier
Onomah - Carroll - N'Koudou
Jansen

Give Alderweireld 30 mins. Try to get Edwards minutes if he's healthy

I'll be taking the 2 lads again and really hope we get an emphatic win. Don't care who plays, we just love to watch them play. Dropping into Europa will mean more matches we can get to this year so definitely hoping for the win in this house!

Can't believe people are debating whether Tottenham Hotspur should try to win a Champions League match.
Why can't you?
Europa will inevitably be an unwelcome distraction in which Poch will rest players galore. He rested players for CL games so what you think hes gonna do for Europa games? and if we are not taking it serioysly whats the point in competing in it?

Why can't you?
Europa will inevitably be an unwelcome distraction in which Poch will rest players galore. He rested players for CL games so what you think hes gonna do for Europa games? and if we are not taking it serioysly whats the point in competing in it?

As fans we have the same debate every year but the club consistently give Europe a half-arsed approach.

As a result I don't see how we can be criticised for feeling unenthusiastic about it. particularly when it clearly affects our form elsewhere

What it does do (qualification for EL) is give the squad players a chance to gain more experience/playing time. It also gives Poch more European experience & the opportunity to run the rule over his squad in competitive matches. It brings in more money for the club :)levylol:)
It also gives the fans more European nights out.

The only down side to it is that it is likely to have some impact on our chances of reaching the top 4
but is top 4 more important than a trophy? And a trophy that guarantees a spot in the same tournament, that a top 4 place gives us?

I've come to the conclusion that it's win/win regardless of the result. Either outcome is fine by me. I simply want to see us perform well.

But if you ask yourself "would I rather us not bother with the EL & concentrate on top 4, or would I rather us win the damn thing?" I'd be surprised if any fan would want us to finish top 4 ahead of winning the EL trophy.

I think people are concerned that we won't take it seriously though & deny ourselves the opportunity of winning it. The thing is, you can't win it if you ain't in it, & based on our CL performances this time around, we need more European experience.

Another thing that's just occurred to me- our first team probably has less experience in Europe than it should have- because we've rested some of our nailed on starters for PL fixtures over the past few seasons we have been in EL. Maybe we need the EL more than we would care to believe, to gain valuable experience of playing in Europe for a young squad?
Probably doesn't make much sense, but I understand what I'm getting at

:pritchardeyes:

As a result I don't see how we can be criticised for feeling unenthusiastic about it. particularly when it clearly affects our form elsewhere

Can you show your workings please. - the affects our form thing - obviously :eriksenlol:

Last edited:
What it does do (qualification for EL) is give the squad players a chance to gain more experience/playing time. It also gives Poch more European experience & the opportunity to run the rule over his squad in competitive matches. It brings in more money for the club :)levylol:)
It also gives the fans more European nights out.

The only down side to it is that it is likely to have some impact on our chances of reaching the top 4
but is top 4 more important than a trophy? And a trophy that guarantees a spot in the same tournament, that a top 4 place gives us?

I've come to the conclusion that it's win/win regardless of the result. Either outcome is fine by me. I simply want to see us perform well.

But if you ask yourself "would I rather us not bother with the EL & concentrate on top 4, or would I rather us win the damn thing?" I'd be surprised if any fan would want us to finish top 4 ahead of winning the EL trophy.

I think people are concerned that we won't take it seriously though & deny ourselves the opportunity of winning it. The thing is, you can't win it if you ain't in it, & based on our CL performances this time around, we need more European experience.

Another thing that's just occurred to me- our first team probably has less experience in Europe than it should have- because we've rested some of our nailed on starters for PL fixtures over the past few seasons we have been in EL. Maybe we need the EL more than we would care to believe, to gain valuable experience of playing in Europe for a young squad?
Probably doesn't make much sense, but I understand what I'm getting at

:pritchardeyes:
Surely if we can Qualify for the CL by WINNING a trophy (The Europa Lea... UEFA CUP!) rather than qualify for the same competition by finishing 4th and NOT WINNING a trophy, then SURELY we should go for the Trophy.

I know it only gets us to the Prelim/Qualifier stage.... but so does 4th... and unless we're aiming forc3rd/Runners up in the league... which I honestly don't know if we're capable of this season, then I know what I'd prefer!

I've been trying to get less stressed about football recently. It's not my job to worry about who will play the next game or how a competition will affect our league form.

My job is just to watch, cheer and hope we smash them (whoever they may be). Basically, of course they should be trying to fucking win! Dicks.

the europa league at the KO stages is good. The teams are usually pretty decent and the CL drop outs (like us?) join.
Whats not to like about knockout european action?
People seem totally pumped for the FA cup but for some reason not this. It would only 9 games including the final. FA cup is about 7. I don't get the logic.

Could someone ask Mick Cooper if that cheating, diving cunt Alli is playing in this?

Only kidding

:dierpochhug:

Huzzah....

Alderweireld back for Spurs

Tottenham v CSKA Moscow (Wed, 19:45 GMT)

Posted at12:59
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino confirms that defender Toby Alderweireld, out since mid-October with knee trouble, will feature in the Champions League tomorrow night.

"Toby will be involved tomorrow in the squad. We are happy."

Can't believe the discussion among Spurs fans. We won't get near getting any success if we don't try to win any games.

Always go for a win, always.

Back
Top Bottom