Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe you are right, but as I say. the last 3 pages of this thread are people saying he is a cunt, and him replying. I suspect if people stopped calling him a cunt, he would stop replying. But maybe I'm wrong
You're not wrong about that. This would be a better place if everyone put him on ignore. I agree that he definitely has a part to play from that earlier comment although I still think he should get a run of games. Imagine if he got a run and started putting them away and we had a striker that could pass and finish. He hasn't gotten a run under Poch but his potential is so much higher than ades if he does get a run and starts playing well.

He was a bit of legend in Spain, but I think the best player in the league scored four goals against us at the weekend
I agree, Aguero on form is the best in the league IMO. Look at what he did to us by himself. Two goals out of nowhere. The only other player that I can see doing that is Hazard but I think Aguero is much more consistent.

Johnathan Wilson, on the Guardian Pod, has just said that Soldado on top form is the best player in the league. Big claim, discuss...

If true, that's just Wilson spouting the usual football hipster bollocks designed to make you think he has deeper insight and analytical skills than us non-journalists.

I like Soldado but I think we paid too much for someone who for whatever reason, just isn't scoring.

On "top form" is he better than Costa, Aguerro, Di Maria? Sadly, I don't think so.

Something we always need to remember now (and I often forget) - if a player is truly world class, he'll go to Man City, Chelsea, Real, Barca, Bayern etc before us.

We've just got to hope for the best of the crumbs from the table.

I
This thread has been absolutely kidnapped by gibbs and gibbs haters. I have nothing personally against gibbs, I've not been on the forum that long. But I have noticed a pattern, if you make a personal comment, or reply to him, he will reply back. So if you dont want to hear what he has to say, just don't reply/attack him.
Back to the subject, after sobering up from Saturday, I am starting to think that Soldado could have a real part to play in our team. But I think he should be playing behind Ade or Kane. This would mean dropping Eriksen, Lamela or Chadli. So far this season I would say that Lamela has to be the one dropped, with Eriksen pushed out to the right. Although I can see the argument for dropping Eriksen and keeping Lamela out on the right.
Imo we need the speed Lamela provides

...after sobering up from Saturday, I am starting to think that Soldado could have a real part to play in our team. But I think he should be playing behind Ade or Kane. This would mean dropping Eriksen, Lamela or Chadli. So far this season I would say that Lamela has to be the one dropped, with Eriksen pushed out to the right. Although I can see the argument for dropping Eriksen and keeping Lamela out on the right.
There is no way Eriksen should be dropped, and Lamela had his first bad game of the season against City. Eriksen wide doesnt work anyhow.

I agree partially, but also think he has watched a lot more Spanish football then me (I dont watch any: its dull). And that we probably have been massively misusing the guy. Give him a free role behind ade or kane for a few games and lets see what happens. Because as you say, we arent going to sign anyone else in that class unless Baldini spots something no one else does, something I doubt is likely to happen
Soldado made his name as a poacher, a fox in the box, on the end of every cross. Now don't get me wrong, the boy can provide some lovely link-up play, but he isn't a playmaker by any stretch of the imagination.

I think dropping one of the talents behind, where we already have an abundance of depth, would be a mistake.

Not come across you on here yet, welcome to the forum mate.

Soldado is mustard

it's just we got abunch of impatient agenda driven shit fans who jump on everyones back from the off and only support when they feel like it

our biggest problems at THFC are off the pitch not on it

The issue with taking Soldado and making him a #10 is that his dribbling skills are very subpar for a forward. Eriksen wide CAN work, but he has to be allowed to cut to the inside, and our wings cutting to the inside really hasn't been working. It's the one thing about Poch that has been bothering me. We're really not scoring goals too often and with the exception of a few the matches we've won have been shakey. Adebayor is better utilized as our striker when we play with the wings cutting in as they have, and we're better with Soldado when it's all about crosses.

I've been trying to figure out why Poch is obsessed with blasting into the middle, and it's beginning to worry me. Every Soldado proponent on here will agree that he's not being utilized correctly. I would say the same goes for Lamela. Look at how he played for Roma. He would drive up the wing while the rest of midfield would crash the box. This forced defenders off Lamela and he was able to beat his man and pass it off for his assists. When Erik drives towards the middle and has two or even three defenders to beat it just doesn't work.

I've said this before, but you change your gameplan to suit the players you have.

I was talking to a pal at work about Soldado and he said that it's very much like Gary Hooper at Norwich. Hooper came from Celtic, scoring goals for fun and turned up at Norwich and completely underwhelmed given his pricetag.

Had a quick look at a Norwich forum. BASICALLY this thread is on the go minus the Gibbs arguments.

I don't know what my point is. I think it's players coming from lesser leagues struggling to settle. But Soldado is not the only "prolific" striker to require a run in his team to try and prove his worth. Unfortunately they are in the most results based environment in the world.

The issue with taking Soldado and making him a #10 is that his dribbling skills are very subpar for a forward. Eriksen wide CAN work, but he has to be allowed to cut to the inside, and our wings cutting to the inside really hasn't been working. It's the one thing about Poch that has been bothering me. We're really not scoring goals too often and with the exception of a few the matches we've won have been shakey. Adebayor is better utilized as our striker when we play with the wings cutting in as they have, and we're better with Soldado when it's all about crosses.

I've been trying to figure out why Poch is obsessed with blasting into the middle, and it's beginning to worry me. Every Soldado proponent on here will agree that he's not being utilized correctly. I would say the same goes for Lamela. Look at how he played for Roma. He would drive up the wing while the rest of midfield would crash the box. This forced defenders off Lamela and he was able to beat his man and pass it off for his assists. When Erik drives towards the middle and has two or even three defenders to beat it just doesn't work.

I've said this before, but you change your gameplan to suit the players you have.

In his last season at Roma Lamela had three assists. Two came from when he was playing in the middle of the field and the other one came from a cross when he was on the left. At Roma, Lamela played almost as much in the middle as on the wing. He made 62 league appearances at Roma, only 32 of those appearances were at RW. He often played as a number ten, LW and even False 9. He also never really had much playmaking or assist responsibility at Roma, he was much more of a goal scorer due to playing with the playmaking legend that is Totti as well as Pjanic behind him.

The crashing into the box stuff while he dribbled down the wing stuff is nonsense. He averaged under half a cross per game in both seasons he was at Roma. He was always popping up in the center of the box constantly with Roma in his breakout season. Of the fifteen goals he scored in his final season at Roma, seven goals came via cross including three headed goals, three others by receiving through balls on runs through the center of the pitch and the other five were pretty much cut in and shoot from distance.

Lamela is not a winger and never has been. At River Plate he was solely a number ten and at Roma he played plenty in the middle and when he played at RW it was very much as he's played now with license to come inside and drop in the #10 spot. Your assessment that he created assists from outside is 100% false and he barely had assists at all. I don't know where your assertions come from but I watched plenty of Lamela's games at Roma and never was he most successful from wide. He specialized in coming inside and scoring goals with the occasional bit of creativity. Even the most cursory view of any YouTube highlight reel will show that Lamela never made his mark on the wing. Pochettino is using him almost exactly as he was used at Roma. I don't know if you're trying to slander Pochettino or what you're going for but what you've said is completely wrong unless I've misunderstood you.

Back
Top Bottom