Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In his last season at Roma Lamela had three assists. Two came from when he was playing in the middle of the field and the other one came from a cross when he was on the left. At Roma, Lamela played almost as much in the middle as on the wing. He made 62 league appearances at Roma, only 32 of those appearances were at RW. He often played as a number ten, LW and even False 9. He also never really had much playmaking or assist responsibility at Roma, he was much more of a goal scorer due to playing with the playmaking legend that is Totti as well as Pjanic behind him.

The crashing into the box stuff while he dribbled down the wing stuff is nonsense. He averaged under half a cross per game in both seasons he was at Roma. He was always popping up in the center of the box constantly with Roma in his breakout season. Of the fifteen goals he scored in his final season at Roma, seven goals came via cross including three headed goals, three others by receiving through balls on runs through the center of the pitch and the other five were pretty much cut in and shoot from distance.

Lamela is not a winger and never has been. At River Plate he was solely a number ten and at Roma he played plenty in the middle and when he played at RW it was very much as he's played now with license to come inside and drop in the #10 spot. Your assessment that he created assists from outside is 100% false and he barely had assists at all. I don't know where your assertions come from but I watched plenty of Lamela's games at Roma and never was he most successful from wide. He specialized in coming inside and scoring goals with the occasional bit of creativity. Even the most cursory view of any YouTube highlight reel will show that Lamela never made his mark on the wing. Pochettino is using him almost exactly as he was used at Roma. I don't know if you're trying to slander Pochettino or what you're going for but what you've said is completely wrong unless I've misunderstood you.

:chadliblow:

Don't I feel sheepish.

I haven't watched Lamela's Roma highlights for a while. I'm fucking retarded. I'm not going to make an excuse and say I was thinking of someone else, I was just flat out remembering incorrectly. My bad.

It still begs the question of why Lamela is being played on the wing though. Although the answer to that has been obvious when compared with Eriksen.

:chadliblow:

Don't I feel sheepish.

I haven't watched Lamela's Roma highlights for a while. I'm fucking retarded. I'm not going to make an excuse and say I was thinking of someone else, I was just flat out remembering incorrectly. My bad.

It still begs the question of why Lamela is being played on the wing though. Although the answer to that has been obvious when compared with Eriksen.

Haha no worries mate. We all make honest mistakes. Much better than having a cheap go at Pochettino like I thought you might have been doing.

I think that Lamela, Chadli, and Eriksen are all being played somewhat in the middle. IMO, there are two things that have hurt Lamela the most this season. Number one is he just still isn't 100% comfortable and is just trying to do too much and not making quick decisions. The second one as that he is hurt by our RB situation. Naughton is so cautious as a RB and Dier isn't a RB and it hurts the attacking down Lamela's side. Say what you will about Danny Rose but he's very active in our attack down the left and thus provides a very useful outlet for Chadli. Lamela is almost playing minus a passing option when he comes in off the right and thus he has less choice and space in making a pass or continuing to dribble. When Walker gets back I think it will be a huge help for Lamela. His attacking prowess will open space for Lamela to dribble because the opposing fullback won't be able to cheat inside and he'll have another passing option. We'll have much more balance with Walker being a legitimate threat down the right flank.

Lamela is under a lot of pressure to do it all by himself on the right and he's struggling with it. It's like Danny Rose last season. When Eriksen was out playing on the right with no real defensive instructions, Rose was a put under tooooons of pressure and he wasn't the type of player who could handle that much responsibility. Now with a more defensively conscious Chadli in front of him and more defensively inclined central midfield pairing than Sherwood played, he looks much improved. But really, a lot of it is ramping down his responsibility and having a much better geometry of team shape. I think having the proper calibration of geometry of the field in your starting eleven is a thing of huge importance and the absence of Walker is holding us back in finding that perfect balance and geometry.

Last edited:
Haha no worries mate. We all make honest mistakes. Much better than having a cheap go at Pochettino like I thought you might have been doing.

I think that Lamela, Chadli, and Eriksen are all being played somewhat in the middle. IMO, there are two things that have hurt Lamela the most this season. Number one is he just still isn't 100% comfortable and is just trying to do too much and not making quick decisions. The second one as that he is hurt by our RB situation. Naughton is so cautious as a RB and Dier isn't a RB and it hurts the attacking down Lamela's side. Say what you will about Danny Rose but he's very active in our attack down the left and thus provides a very useful outlet for Chadli. Lamela is almost playing minus a passing option when he comes in off the right and thus he has less choice and space in making a pass or continuing to dribble. When Walker gets back I think it will be a huge help for Lamela. His attacking prowess will open space for Lamela to dribble because the opposing fullback won't be able to cheat inside and he'll have another passing option. We'll have much more balance with Walker being a legitimate threat down the right flank.

Lamela is under a lot of pressure to do it all by himself on the right and he's struggling with it. It's like Danny Rose last season. When Eriksen was out playing on the right with no real defensive instructions, Rose was a put under tooooons of pressure and he wasn't the type of player who could handle that much responsibility. Now with a more defensively conscious Chadli in front of him and more defensively inclined central midfield pairing than Sherwood played, he looks much improved. But really, a lot of it is ramping down his responsibility and having a much better geometry of team shape. I think having the proper calibration of geometry of the field in your starting eleven is a thing of huge importance and the absence of Walker is holding us back in finding that perfect balance and geometry.

Lamela is holding on to the ball WAY too long, but that is partially because we've had an issue with other players off ball movement in the final third. Agree that with a better RB he'll do better.

I still feel like I've been stuck with an extra chromosome after that original Lamela comment...

Seeing those highlights of the Lamela at Roma ... Oh, God ... Pleaseee let him reach those heights at Spurs, soon!

It'll come, he just needs to gain confidence. So much of the stuff in those highlights is borne out of a heightened confidence that he hasn't found at Spurs but you can see simmering beneath. It also doesn't hurt to get to play alongside Totti... :freund:

1) Soldado needs to be on the receiving end of crosses. For this reason alone I would like to see him with Aaron Lennon over Townsend this Thursday. Lennon will at least cross instead of automatically cutting inside to take the exact same shot for the thousandth time. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Lennon will be seen very rarely from this point forward and probably gone in January.

2) Pochettino needs to tell Lamela to stay the fuck outside of our own box unless it's absolutely necessary. This is a mandatory statement, and if it isn't made someone needs to bring a gigantic banner to the Lane saying something wittier than I can come up with right now.

One of those things involves the manager changing his philosophy to adapt to a player and the other one involves motivation and leadership (and should involve a little bit of fear, Erik better have done a fucking shitload of laps after City).

Lamela is holding on to the ball WAY too long, but that is partially because we've had an issue with other players off ball movement in the final third. Agree that with a better RB he'll do better.

I still feel like I've been stuck with an extra chromosome after that original Lamela comment...

Mate don't worry about it. I just started at Uni again for graduate school so I'm meeting tons of people. The other day I was shaking this girls hand and we got a really strange grip and some how the space between our respective pinky and ring finger intersected strangely. She says, "oh that was weird, let's try again." Then I say, "Oh yeah that was strange, it's like they scissored". It was one of those moments where right when it comes out of your mouth you're like "oh my god what have I said?" I didn't mean it sexually or weirdly, it was just basically what our hands did.

Right after I say that her face just goes completely blank and she sort of recoils from our second handshake. Then there I am left to stammer, "no that's not what I meant at all" etc. etc. It was absolutely terrible. It wasn't like I was trying to hook up with her anything but it's almost worse because a lot of people are kind of stuffy grad school types and she definitely was. Mortifying.

Bottom line, don't worry about it haha.

Last edited:
It'll come, he just needs to gain confidence. So much of the stuff in those highlights is borne out of a heightened confidence that he hasn't found at Spurs but you can see simmering beneath. It also doesn't hurt to get to play alongside Totti... :freund:

He needs more than confidence. He needs a free role with no tracking duties apart from what an average striker is expected of doing.

Expecting him to mix it in middle or flanks is exactly the issue that is shaking is confidence.

He's an Arabian racehorse, not a pit pony. You don't want a refined maestro like him mixing it with athletic genetic freaks that are set up to spoil.

Poch is misusing him just like AVB and Sherwood did.

And that the game is played at about 5 miles an hour over there.......

the guy has been banned from 3-4 forums, let me guess it wasn't his fault but there's right?
mate the bloke could have a verbal fight in solitary confinement...

I love this aspect. As if you would last a week on other forums. You post repulsive shit. I've been on some of the forums for 5 years that finally got enough Cahspurs to whine often enough to ban me.

The people who level the banned apect at me like you, Beale and Arcspace wouldn't last a fucking week via your style of posting.

Why not post some more snuff images of people slaughtered? Quality poster that you are.

Gibbs, you will be find out soon - these are your end days, period.

Do the honourable thing and quit before being squashed like the little Gooner roach that you truly are. You cannot and will not defeat all the cunts on here.

Gibbs, you will be find out soon - these are your end days, period.

Do the honourable thing and quit before being squashed like the little Gooner roach that you truly are. You cannot and will not defeat all the cunts on here.

I swear you just harass me all day to ignore how unbelievably unpopular and hated you are on these boards.

Like it will help your garbage popularity if you pile on.

White Hart Lane seldom does confidence building these days

buncha spoilt first world cunts innit..................

he posts so much its makes the threads borderline unreadable when on ignore...
I finally clicked ignore and its much better. Even if you miss a few posts you can always guess what old gibbsy is posting. 99% chance that it involves him using the words "beast" or "tiny dancer", or a reference to AVBs boring style, talking about a past prediction where he got a minute detail right, calling out someone else for a post where they got a minute detail wrong, or talking about how shit Soldado, Rose, Naughton, Lennon, or Townsend are.

Back
Top Bottom