Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That may be true, but his overall performances in the first 6 or 7 games this season do no warrant his automatic selection. Someone else deserves a chance, as he is seemingly not delivering any consistent form.

Check the stats, his poor returns date back to mid-February, not just this season. Scored in only three of his last 20-odd starts (two if you discount pens like people seem to do here).

For me this Ade or Soldado debate is irrelevant at the moment. Harry Kane is the one who deserves a run in the first team.

They're in a tough spot with playing Kane. If they don't play Soldado in the Prem they're going to take an extreme loss come January. Granted, if Soldado doesn't turn it around quick, we're up shit creek in terms of getting rid of him. We didn't pay to get Kane. Therefore, they're not worried about the monetary side of it at all. Not that it excuses Kane not being started, but I imagine these starts will come after the January window closes.

The business of all of this is tricky, and Adebayor and Soldado are getting old. I could see Ade going over to MLS in the next few years, and Soldado is probably going to kick it in a lower side Serie A team.

They're in a tough spot with playing Kane. If they don't play Soldado in the Prem they're going to take an extreme loss come January. Granted, if Soldado doesn't turn it around quick, we're up shit creek in terms of getting rid of him. We didn't pay to get Kane. Therefore, they're not worried about the monetary side of it at all. Not that it excuses Kane not being started, but I imagine these starts will come after the January window closes.

The business of all of this is tricky, and Adebayor and Soldado are getting old. I could see Ade going over to MLS in the next few years, and Soldado is probably going to kick it in a lower side Serie A team.
Maybe its naive, but I like to think that Pochettino has full control over team selection. If Kane is held back because the others need to be put in the shop window, then our club is in some serious shit.

Eskimo Eskimo
Just a general overview, this is not an anti-Ade post, I have no real problem with the bloke.

Looking at last season -

Soldado played in 36 games in all comps, scoring 11 and assisting 5. I admit, that is a lot more games than I thought he'd played.

Ade played 25, scoring 14 and assisting 5.

Now, in the Premier League:
Of the 36 times he was in the squad, Bobby started 22 games, and played 90 minutes 12 times.
Adebayor started 20 of 21, and played 90 minutes 17 times.

Bobby played back-to-back 90 minutes 6 times (3 times he played 90 minutes 3 games in a row, accounting for 4 of those 6).
Adebayor played back-to-back 90 minutes 13 times (missing only 6 minutes of the last 16 games (excluding 2 he was injured for, and only missing 36 minutes in 20 games)

Stats don't paint the full picture I agree, as they don't take into account penalties, quality of opposition, the score at the time they scored - there are far too many variables, but I can agree Bobby's record was not good enough and Ade's was very good from when he started playing, but -

Having started 7 games so far this season and only missing 29 minutes of a possible 630, and with only a goal and assist against QPR to show for it, surely Bobby deserves some game time, given he's only played 129 minutes of Premier League football this season? I'd have thought given Ade's poor form so far, he should be given a fair shout.

Also don't ignore that when Soldado was getting games and not scoring enough he had only just come into the country and was adjusting to the league, whereas Adebayor has had plenty of experience there. Soldado no longer is adjusting but isn't getting the games to prove himself.

If only we could discount Saturdays penalty.......
As if Ade never missed a penalty?
iZYsK4cN9zC8t.gif

Translation: Soldado's assists, link ups and goal creation are irrelevant as he didn't score.

Translation: Ade's assists, link ups and goal creation excuse him not scoring.

Soldado was standing still and a beastly challenge from Mason resulted in the ball falling to Soldado, wide open. He did an uncontested tap into space for an uncontested Eriksen.

Link a video to prove me wrong. Ade made a run down the wing and his impact was way more obvious for our win against the Saints with the goal he was involved with.

Not all assists are created equal. That goal was a result of Masons tenacity and Eriksen doing what Soldado is supposed to do 20-30 times a season.

It was a decent pass regardless. And his ball in for Mason was lovely.

Honestly, you think people are disregarding of Adebayor's contribution yet you're so negative and demeaning about everything Soldado does, can you not see that hypocrisy?

Adebayor runs into some space then gives the ball to the guy next to him and it's an awesome impact, Soldado slips the ball on a breakaway with perfect weight and direction for Eriksen and it's routine and not even worth calling it an assist.

Go on, refer to yourself in the third person just to make the caricature complete and we can all go home happy.

Soldado needs to play off the last man and be in the box on the end of crosses and cutbacks like virtually all his goals for Valencia came from. I think he needs more support though so maybe Kane could play just behind him vs Asteras?

Back
Top Bottom