Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would love another proper crombie.
I got into the skinhead thing via 2tone in 79. Inherited my brother and cousins old clobber, Brothers gold and blue trevera Harrington,Brutus sta press(he never had levis for some reason),solatio basket weave shoes and my cousins velvet collared crombie. Plus various button down collar shirts off both.Ben Sherman,Harry Fenton(Made in Tottenham..YIDS!) et cetera. Loved my skinhead days. Though it was some what bastardised by badly dressed tramps come about 83. Still stuck with it though,never went casual or anything. Ended up knocking around with a bunch from all over who dressed right and looked the part. I wouldn't change a thing ☺ still resemble a skinhead ,to a point. Classic scmutter is classic scmutter and always looks good. Already looking forward to the weather being suitable for me to wear my tonic Burberry fly fronted mac.

I'm filling up, here. :dierpochhug:

I loved the skinhead fashion and music (not so keen on the racist culture though).

Two-tone mohair, Prince of Wales check, brogues with striped laces, Ben sherman or Brutus shirts. I even had a pair of braces, which unfortunately due to my lady bumps, never did lay straight! Funnily enough, I had long hair then, so always wore it in a plait.

Loved the Reggae (Tighten Up LPs) and Motown (Chartbusters LPs) music - still love listening to it now.

I didn't get to the Southampton game, too young to be allowed to go to away games on my own. But I remember being in the Woolies on the Holloway Road when the result came through and letting out an almighty scream and nearly breaking my sister's back jumping on top of her - amazed we weren't thrown out!

I loved the skinhead fashion and music (not so keen on the racist culture though).
It wasn't an issue with your generation though was it? It became one with mine,but was over played by the media to be honest
My era(79 onwards) i can honestly say i had been into about a year before i started hearing that i was meant to be racist.In the early 2tone period loads of black kids were into it as well.By late 82 the skinheads that were left were divided ,you had the right wing lot and the rest.They looked different ,dressed different and followed different bands.The Camden Town mob and the Ladbrook Grove skinheads(LGS) were two mobs that spring to mind that weren't they way inclined at all.It was a very well known fact back in the early 80s(and before) if you had a row with the LGS you were taking on the local Rastas as well.And Visa Versa. As a stupid kid(15 or so) i briefly flirted with the right wing side of things,but knocked it on the head when i realised most of the leaders of the master race were frustrated perverts and i really didn't share their views.Never dressed like a tramp though.
Musically i was into (initially) the 2tone bands and through that got into the reggae of the original days. Got to know Dave Barker of Dave and Ansel Collins fame(me and my mate who ran the Fishmongers Arms in Wood Green talked him into doing a gig for a crate of Guinness one night :) )
Prince Buster(RIP) is a hero of mine and Ken Boothe is the greatest vocalist the world has ever seen IMHO.
Have a love of Tamla,stax and the rest of the soul of the late 60s and early 70s as well,the Isley Brothers,Four tops and Chairman of the board being particular favourites.
I don't regret any of my youth, the good and the bad.It made me what i am today,and gave a more balanced view on things(i like to think so anyway).

Sorry to go on a tangent there,but waffling is a habit of mine.Especially about my misspent youth :)

Last edited:
The racist shit came later (via Chelsea mainly). Before that it was a music driven fashion and culture and was very mixed in terms of race when it came to those that were into it.

I was a bit too young (believe it or not) to be into the Skinhead thing the first time around.

Life is timeless days are long when you're young, used to fall in love with everyone, any guitar and any bass drum.
Life is a drink and you get drunk when you're young. :thumbup:

Life is timeless days are long when you're young, used to fall in love with everyone, any guitar and any bass drum.
Life is a drink and you get drunk when you're young. :thumbup:
Interesting juxtaposition off the back of a skinhead based twist on the thread. Mind you the Jam had a tilt as most musical genres

At my school the "uniform" was levi 2 tone sta-pressed trousers, Ben Sherman, Fred Perry jumpers, Doc Marten shoes (no boots rule at school) topped off with the school tie and blazer - (to save the long walk home to get changed) and a crombie over the top in winter.
Jump out of one uniform into another....

It wasn't an issue with your generation though was it? It became one with mine,but was over played by the media to be honest
My era(79 onwards) i can honestly say i had been into about a year before i started hearing that i was meant to be racist.In the early 2tone period loads of black kids were into it as well.By late 82 the skinheads that were left were divided ,you had the right wing lot and the rest.They looked different ,dressed different and followed different bands.The Camden Town mob and the Ladbrook Grove skinheads(LGS) were two mobs that spring to mind that weren't they way inclined at all.It was a very well known fact back in the early 80s(and before) if you had a row with the LGS you were taking on the local Rastas as well.And Visa Versa. As a stupid kid(15 or so) i briefly flirted with the right wing side of things,but knocked it on the head when i realised most of the leaders of the master race were frustrated perverts and i really didn't share their views.Never dressed like a tramp though.
Musically i was into (initially) the 2tone bands and through that got into the reggae of the original days. Got to know Dave Barker of Dave and Ansel Collins fame(me and my mate who ran the Fishmongers Arms in Wood Green talked him into doing a gig for a crate of Guinness one night :) )
Prince Buster(RIP) is a hero of mine and Ken Boothe is the greatest vocalist the world has ever seen IMHO.
Have a love of Tamla,stax and the rest of the soul of the late 60s and early 70s as well,the Isley Brothers,Four tops and Chairman of the board being particular favourites.
I don't regret any of my youth, the good and the bad.It made me what i am today,and gave a more balanced view on things(i like to think so anyway).

Sorry to go on a tangent there,but waffling is a habit of mine.Especially about my misspent youth :)

I was in my mid teens at that time, and the racism was targetted more against Asians.

The racist shit came later (via Chelsea mainly). Before that it was a music driven fashion and culture and was very mixed in terms of race when it came to those that were into it.

I was a bit too young (believe it or not) to be into the Skinhead thing the first time around.

I remember when Black lads started turning up in the late 60's/ early 70's. They were boys from North and East London, supporting their local team. No one took a tap of notice. They were Spurs fans, pure and simple, and as such were on the firm. Skysie being a case in point, and I remember a fella called George, who had a tidy firm.
No one even knew the word 'Racism.' It made no difference.

I remember when Black lads started turning up in the late 60's/ early 70's. They were boys from North and East London, supporting their local team. No one took a tap of notice. They were Spurs fans, pure and simple, and as such were on the firm. Skysie being a case in point, and I remember a fella called George, who had a tidy firm.
No one even knew the word 'Racism.' It made no difference.

Agreed. And the fella you mention is still probably the most respected of our top boys to this day both by Spurs fans and like-minded opposition supporters.

Untitled.png

It works - my first photo from my own collection posted.

Back
Top Bottom