Poch's second season vs AVB's second season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Please not an AVB debate. My memory has been deleting files from the AVB and for that matter Sherwood period. I am happy now with Poch in charge.

Where did I suggest that?

I said to date AVB has been more successful than Poch in terms of his record PL tally
So unless Poch finishes a season with more points than AVB, you'll think AVB is the superior manager?

Just interested to work out the logic in being an AVB fan. You clearly rate the Russian league more than a lot of people, and cited managing in the champions league as an achievement, but have a dislike of Redknapp who has gone further in the champions league than AVB has managed?

So unless Poch finishes a season with more points than AVB, you'll think AVB is the superior manager?

Just interested to work out the logic in being an AVB fan. You clearly rate the Russian league more than a lot of people, and cited managing in the champions league as an achievement, but have a dislike of Redknapp who has gone further in the champions league than AVB has managed?
Yes - because that's what matters at the end of the day

Redknapp lucked on with Comolli's talented squad and was good at man-managing a few of his 'lads' - nothing more

Where did I suggest that?

I said to date AVB has been more successful for us than Poch in terms of his record PL tally
Until Poch improves on our record PL tally - AVB remains the superior manager for me

COYS
Managers, just like players, can have freak seasons. AVB had one with us, but you got to remember even when we won the football was boring as all fuck. Glad he's gone, I hope to never see him again unless in charge of the scum

Managers, just like players, can have freak seasons. AVB had one with us, but you got to remember even when we won the football was boring as all fuck. Glad he's gone, I hope to never see him again unless in charge of the scum

RNwC0hy.png

Shockingly we are only 1 point ahead of were we were then.
WyWL52n.png
Amazing how 1 point difference and a bit of statistical reach-around can make a massive difference in perspective

AVB had a much weaker squad as well - worth noting

Yes - because that's what matters at the end of the day

Redknapp lucked on with Comolli's talented squad and was good at man-managing a few of his 'lads' - nothing more
Utter bullshit, on both counts.

If anyone lucked on anything it was AVB with a Bale whose form suddenly went from very good to stratospheric. Didn't stop AVB putting Bale into the fucking Europa and getting injured and missing matches at the business end of the season in which we missed top 4 by 1pt.

Can you imagine what this team would do with Bale in place of Lamela/Chadli/Townsend? Realistic title contenders?

AVB's 2nd season was very poor. 2 good performances under AVB, 2-2 Utd, 1-1 Chavs. The rest was mid table, and 3x 1-0 penalty wins in matches when we produced almost no chances from open play, and the pens were all "soft".Liverpool 0-5 the only match Ive walked out of early and Ive been going since 1970.

Redknapp inherited a squad with some good individuals, no question, but being Comoli it was all over the place. Our DM? Jenas/Zokora. Yeah right. HR bought Wilson the Jan window and it all started happening.

I also didn't see too much luck with Modric breaking a leg (replaced at vast expense by £2m Kranky - ooh!), and Bale's initial form as a pretty average left back.

Anyway, back to AVB/Poch. Only similarity is that Poch again takes EL too seriously. I think it's cost us 6 pts already this season. In every other respect he's streets ahead.

I'm with you ArcspacE...AVB was never given the time or space to manage his squad.
He arrived with the Chelsea fiasco still nibbling at his heels.
He inherited a squad of players, a number of whom probably were unable to communicate with each other and the existing squad members.
Bye the way how many of the Magnificent 7 are still with us?
Then, to cap it all, he was undermined by that snake Sherwood in the case of 'Pussy Galore' and did not
receive the backing of Levy.
Was he wrong to identify Pussy Galore as a destabilizing influence in the dressing room?
So he walked, as any professional would have done in the circumstances.
As for his managerial/coaching ability take a look at the UEFA's current season club coefficient rankings...whose top I wonder?

As much as I loved AVB (and still kinda do) it's clear as night and day the difference in the two teams. We might have grinded out some results under AVB but it was less than convincing and was very similar to the current United set up in that we tried to bore teams to death with varying success.

We currently have a manager who has excellent man management skills, a good vision for the future and is a genuine bloke. Couldn't ask for any more and honestly I'm going to be absolutely gutted the day we lose Poch. Can't fault his work at Spurs to date at all - which is crazy considering the massive overhaul he had to undertake.
i wouldnt mind us learning the ability of grinding out wins. its a good skill to have.
we could have turned some of those draws in to wins.

A ( Oy vey ) B ?

or

MAURICIO ( got to pick a ) POCHETTINO .......or two?

The Artful Dodger of Fagin = who is best?

Too early to say.

At the moment , we are looking the real deal getting real results. Under Poch we have progressed to a level which is beyond anything AVB / HR could ever achieve in such a short period of time. Lets hope it continues into the business end of the season. Lets enjoy and judge at the end of the season.

A ( Oy vey ) B ?

or

MAURICIO ( got to pick a ) POCHETTINO .......or two?

The Artful Dodger of Fagin = who is best?

Too early to say.

At the moment , we are looking the real deal getting real results. Under Poch we have progressed to a level which is beyond anything AVB / HR could ever achieve in such a short period of time. Lets hope it continues into the business end of the season. Lets enjoy and judge at the end of the season.
Even if it did start to fall apart due to fatigue/injuries I really believe poch has done enough already to warrant another season, honestly don't believe I've ever said that of a manager before the new year in the past

Utter bullshit, on both counts.

If anyone lucked on anything it was AVB with a Bale whose form suddenly went from very good to stratospheric. Didn't stop AVB putting Bale into the fucking Europa and getting injured and missing matches at the business end of the season in which we missed top 4 by 1pt.

Can you imagine what this team would do with Bale in place of Lamela/Chadli/Townsend? Realistic title contenders?

AVB's 2nd season was very poor. 2 good performances under AVB, 2-2 Utd, 1-1 Chavs. The rest was mid table, and 3x 1-0 penalty wins in matches when we produced almost no chances from open play, and the pens were all "soft".Liverpool 0-5 the only match Ive walked out of early and Ive been going since 1970.

Redknapp inherited a squad with some good individuals, no question, but being Comoli it was all over the place. Our DM? Jenas/Zokora. Yeah right. HR bought Wilson the Jan window and it all started happening.

I also didn't see too much luck with Modric breaking a leg (replaced at vast expense by £2m Kranky - ooh!), and Bale's initial form as a pretty average left back.

Anyway, back to AVB/Poch. Only similarity is that Poch again takes EL too seriously. I think it's cost us 6 pts already this season. In every other respect he's streets ahead.
Jog on, Jamie - your petty agenda is beyond transparent

Even if it did start to fall apart due to fatigue/injuries I really believe poch has done enough already to warrant another season, honestly don't believe I've ever said that of a manager before the new year in the past
I agree. His results so far, may be on par with others from the past but its the attitude he has instilled into the players which has given us a team / squad that is balanced, maturing and understands how to defend; and not to lose. When you think of the players that will return, it can only get better. Lets see at the end of the season where we are at with him. If hes that good, the giants of Europe will entice him away I guess.

I agree. His results so far, may be on par with others from the past but its the attitude he has instilled into the players which has given us a team / squad that is balanced, maturing and understands how to defend; and not to lose. When you think of the players that will return, it can only get better. Lets see at the end of the season where we are at with him. If hes that good, the giants of Europe will entice him away I guess.
Maybe it's hope on my part but I've started looking at poch like an architect, not too many of those around that like to leave projects unfinished - I guess it's a nice but strange feeling being Spurs and worried about managers leaving rather than getting the sack

Stats are one thing but in reality you can't compare the two.
Under AVB we lost 3 times to West Ham in one season, we were conceeding 5 week in week out, we were going to places we knew we could never win..Under Poch no one embarrasses us, everybody fears us and we can watch the team without knowing we are going to get stuffed.
Under AVB we had no future and no direction, under Poch we have the brightest future I can remember and we can all see what he is trying to achieve and where we are going..
Chalk and cheese as far as i'm concerned.

Fairly sure that two of those defeats were after Sherwood was installed, Billy. Agree with your sentiments bar that.

AVB seemed like a perfect fit for us in his first season and his unleashing of Bale deserves some recognition. However, his man management deteriorated over time, he lost the belief of the squad and his tactics became sterile. The guy doesn't seem to cope with pressure and we were an utter shambles by the time he left, although others have to shoulder some of the blame. With Poch, it's the complete opposite: the team is cohesive, improving and - both mentally and physically - we are far stronger than last year or indeed many years before. We're also great to watch and the positive team ethic and understanding are wonderful to see. It was sad to see AVB leave as I don't think he was treated wholly fairly and Baldini's summer shambles - if it was all his doing - didn't help. However we are clearly much better with Poch and the team he has built. We finally have an identity that the players, staff and fans all buy into. That in itself is huge and being at WHL has not been this much fun since Modric, Bale, Lennon and VDV were tearing things up under Harry. We should treasure Poch as long as we have him! COYS.

Back
Top Bottom