Poch's second season vs AVB's second season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wanted AVB to succeed, and I was firmly behind him until about 2 or 3 weeks before he was finally sacked, but he really did make things more difficult for himself than they should have been.

You remember that old TehTrunk video of the NLD in which Wenger is instructing his team "Don't shoot, pass!"? Well, that's exactly how AVB made us play. Passing the ball endlessly around the back, but lacking any sort of penetration or forward ball that wasn't carried by Bale himself.

Pochettino has our team playing like I think AVB wanted us to all along, but didn't know how to achieve. Pochettino has made the high line work, and we finally have a final ball and a forward threat. Possession passing in midfield actually serves a purpose under Pochettino now, instead of just wasting time and boring the crowd to death as it did under AVB.

I've not mentioned Redknapp once? I must've missed the trophy presentation for most points in a season.

I don't consider points totals an achievements as there's so many variables in overall competitiveness of the league in different seasons etc. The majority of the time we played boring, pointless possession based football and for all the 1-0 wins we'd regularly get turned over by the 'big' sides.

Without wanting to sound like a Redknapp 'fan boy', he won games and shit and got us to the champions league quarter finals, so why not prefer him to AVB? That's more of an achievement than best points tally isn't it?
Because he was a charlatan chancer who was there only to further his own agenda

Because he was a charlatan chancer who was there only to further his own agenda
Sums up AVB pretty well. Somehow got the reputation of being the next special one after one season with a decent Porto team and hasn't lived up to it since.

But no, best ever points total is better than a champions league quarter final.

Your blind love of AVB seems as steadfast as my dislike of him, so I don't think this arguments going to go anywhere.

Pathetic, why not compare Poch's second season to AVB's first LOL. You are just cherry picking data to beat a dead donkey, AVB is gone, sherwood is gone, Harry is gone. Its been a roler coaster of instability of players coming and going, we finally have stability. All previous managers would struggle to fuck up with this squad, even sherwood.

why not compare Poch's second season to AVB's first
With pleasure!
2012_2013.png
2015_2016.png

Something has happened in our back-line. :pochsmirk:

Sums up AVB pretty well. Somehow got the reputation of being the next special one after one season with a decent Porto team and hasn't lived up to it since.

But no, best ever points total is better than a champions league quarter final.

Your blind love of AVB seems as steadfast as my dislike of him, so I don't think this arguments going to go anywhere.
Hasn't lived up to since?

Winning championships and taking an average team well in the CL?

Hahaha - agrees to disagree I guess

This is like a retro thread, its like two years ago with the AVB v Harry magic, take two periods of time, two different squads, two different sets of teams in the league all performing differently in both periods, yet compare the job of two managers

Keep going guys - the time wasting generation lives on

Pathetic, why not compare Poch's second season to AVB's first LOL. You are just cherry picking data to beat a dead donkey, AVB is gone, sherwood is gone, Harry is gone. Its been a roler coaster of instability of players coming and going, we finally have stability. All previous managers would struggle to fuck up with this squad, even sherwood.

Why? Because its interesting.
Everyone here loves Poch and we are all generally behind him bar him messing up rotation for Europa and the Woolwich Carling Cup mess. People are talking of titles challenges.
Everyone was sick to dead of AVB around this time in his reign. He was gone within a month.
But there is only one point difference between them!

As much as I loved AVB (and still kinda do) it's clear as night and day the difference in the two teams. We might have grinded out some results under AVB but it was less than convincing and was very similar to the current United set up in that we tried to bore teams to death with varying success.

We currently have a manager who has excellent man management skills, a good vision for the future and is a genuine bloke. Couldn't ask for any more and honestly I'm going to be absolutely gutted the day we lose Poch. Can't fault his work at Spurs to date at all - which is crazy considering the massive overhaul he had to undertake.

Wrong season! That AVB's 1st season (the Bale one) and Poch's 2nd season.
The first post in this thread has the proper tables.
No, please see what I've quoted, trifficTotnum asked for a comparison of AVB's first season (2012/13) and the current season. Those tables are right.

The interesting thing is that if we see on the goalscoring tables, we currently have scored almost as much goals as we did under AVBs first season with Bale, but conceded the half. That's an improvement!

Last edited:
Seriously, I'm just mainly happy about the fact that we will have a manager survive two seasons at Spurs for the first time since Harry survived his second (08/09? Too lazy to google :harrylol:)

Under AVB we were like crabs always going fucking sideways I hated that Spurs team and in hindsight I hated his lack of judgement on some of our younger players , Poch has done brilliantly to exercise the ghost of AVB from the team.

Yes, like owning your group, wining games and shit

Why are you so desperate to discredit his achievements anyway? Because your boy Arry got dropped kicked the fuck out?

72 points - unmatched PL record - fact
AVB was a fucking fraud, how he was even appointed manager of Tottenham after the shambolic job he did at Chelsea still baffles me. Thank fuck his reign is over, long may it be forgotten

You do know what happened at Chavs right?

Chelsea stars didn't want to work hard for AVB, says Ashley Cole

Using them as a measure of a coach's ability - the same club who sacked Ancelotti less than 12 months after he won the double

Do me a favour . . .
Do you genuinely believe AVB is a better manager than Poch? You're obviously biased, you disagreed that AVB's football wasn't sideways and boring, which he is even being criticized for in Zenit.

Wonder why they didn't want to work for AVB? They obviously had no problem working under Di Matteo....

Back
Top Bottom