Poch's second season vs AVB's second season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not wishing to open up a war of words with you but surely the good performances you have highlighted ending in defeat surely speaks volumes when you consider the bad results that got him sacked were absolute drubbings.

Me neither and yes you're correct the drubbings against Liverpool 0-5 and ManC 0-6 were unsustainable and embarrassing especially the ManC one!
Excuses could be made against Liverpool due to that diving cunt Suarez reducing us to ten.

All I'm saying is that IMO AVB had his faults but wasn't as bad as some are saying and he is a good manager as proven at Porto and Zenit.
He was a gamble taken by Levy who didn't support him!
:levyeyes:

It's not so much a question of being unbeaten. We've drawn more than we've won. The problem is we're not winning enough.

Swansea - I'd say a 2-2 draw there is 2 pts lost. They were in a pisspoor run, being beaten by the likes of Watford and Norwich, and needing a soft pen to get a draw with Bournemouth. They've won 2 all season - Villa and Newcastle. Should have been 3 pts for us.

Goons - we bossed them for 70 mins, but they fought their way back and by the end we were hanging on for 1 pt. We couldn't sustain the high tempo.

Chavs - we never got out of the blocks. We covered about the least ground in a match all season. They too were in the middle of a shocking run. Yes, they raised their game and set out to nullify us, but they couldn't have lived with a display like v WetSpam.

Hardly coincidental.

Yes, we're doing better than in our post EL matches than last season, but we're a very different team. Toby in defence, Dier as CM protecting them, Dembelé performing like AVB 1st season where we were getting 2pts+ every match he started.

Without EL I'd say we'd be possible champions. With it, no more than evens for top 4. It's Poch's one blind spot. In everything else he's playing a blinder.
What you seem to fail to realise, is that bad performances are part and parcel of football for almost every club in the world.

It's easy to point out that we should've beaten 'x' club or we were 1-0 up and shouldn't have drawn, but if we didn't have bad performances we'd be one of the 3 or 4 elite clubs in the world that rarely does.

It's the Premier League - arguably the most competitive division in the world. You have a very poor understanding of football if you think it's as simple as 'we should beat Swansea as we're Tottenham'.

Without these results, we could all win our acca's every weekend and we'd be picking the finishing positions of all 20 clubs every season with ease.

Watford beat Swansea? That bares absolutely NO relevance to our game against them. Different week. Different training build up. Different setup from both sides. Everything is different. Incomparable mate.

Chalk & cheese in terms of personnel & playing style. I liked AVB & was glad we employed him at the time. However, his tactics became predictable & many of our games were downright boring. As Joe Clash Joe Clash says, there was an element of detachment between club & fans. After Bale went, it all went belly up. It became obvious we had been very much a one man team. Whoever was responsible for squandering the Bale transfer money needs a kick in the bollocks. Too many heavy defeats ultimately did for AVB (& rightly so IMO because we became too predictable and were too easily outfought).

What we now have is a large majority of people buying into what Poch is trying to do. People are seeing the foundations of a very young, powerful & skilful squad. It's been said elsewhere but we don't have a soft side any longer. Fans are enjoying the ride again because the football is generally entertaining, we don't appear as likely to end up on the wrong end of a thrashing, we are highly capable of handing out a thrashing & the squad is only going to get better & stronger.
Agree with most of this, I still wish avb had been given a little more time because even disconnected I could see what he was at least trying to do, right now I really don't worry about any team managing to put 4/5 goals past us, that in itself breeds confidence

And I also said to Millbanks that the knives wouldn't be out as I've seen enough to support his tenure now but you've conveniently left that bit out.

You asking why I slated a Spurs manager for fielding a weakened side against Woolwich who subsequently knocked us out of a cup competition as a result beggars belief!

Are you really a Spurs fan?

Do I have to point out to you that Woolwich are the enemy and any Spurs manager must pull out all of the stops to beat them no matter what?

I fucking detest them with a passion closely followed by the Chavs!
: ostrich:
Wish I had such a hatred for the chavs, no idea why but I've always found them to be so plastic (even before the money) that I just don't care about them too much

It's not so much a question of being unbeaten. We've drawn more than we've won. The problem is we're not winning enough.

Swansea - I'd say a 2-2 draw there is 2 pts lost. They were in a pisspoor run, being beaten by the likes of Watford and Norwich, and needing a soft pen to get a draw with Bournemouth. They've won 2 all season - Villa and Newcastle. Should have been 3 pts for us.

Goons - we bossed them for 70 mins, but they fought their way back and by the end we were hanging on for 1 pt. We couldn't sustain the high tempo.

Chavs - we never got out of the blocks. We covered about the least ground in a match all season. They too were in the middle of a shocking run. Yes, they raised their game and set out to nullify us, but they couldn't have lived with a display like v WetSpam.

Hardly coincidental.

Yes, we're doing better than in our post EL matches than last season, but we're a very different team. Toby in defence, Dier as CM protecting them, Dembelé performing like AVB 1st season where we were getting 2pts+ every match he started.

Without EL I'd say we'd be possible champions. With it, no more than evens for top 4. It's Poch's one blind spot. In everything else he's playing a blinder.
But if we dare to dream.... Is a El cup win and top 4 (or even 5th) seem more romantic and more Spurs?

AVB seemed like a perfect fit for us in his first season and his unleashing of Bale deserves some recognition. However, his man management deteriorated over time, he lost the belief of the squad and his tactics became sterile. The guy doesn't seem to cope with pressure and we were an utter shambles by the time he left, although others have to shoulder some of the blame. With Poch, it's the complete opposite: the team is cohesive, improving and - both mentally and physically - we are far stronger than last year or indeed many years before. We're also great to watch and the positive team ethic and understanding are wonderful to see. It was sad to see AVB leave as I don't think he was treated wholly fairly and Baldini's summer shambles - if it was all his doing - didn't help. However we are clearly much better with Poch and the team he has built. We finally have an identity that the players, staff and fans all buy into. That in itself is huge and being at WHL has not been this much fun since Modric, Bale, Lennon and VDV were tearing things up under Harry. We should treasure Poch as long as we have him! COYS.
Agree with all of this. I'll add also that it appears that Poch's ability to manage upwards is one of his biggest achievements so far. By upward I mean the board/Levy. Poch's fingerprints are appearing allover the club from recruitment to development squad. I feel his influence on the club is greater than "Head Coach" he appears more a "Manager".

26 points from 15 league games now.
1 point behind AVB's 27 from 15 league games he had just a week before he got sacked with 27 points from 16 league games.
That is some of the simplest shit statement meaning nothing I have ever read. We need to win more games but I would rather not get humiliated eight times a year. We were not competitive too much under avb.

1 point behind AVB's 27 from 15 league games he had just a week before he got sacked with 27 points from 16 league games.
He wasn't sacked, he walked.
There was no replacement waiting in the wings (pun intended) which was why Levy had no choice but to appoint 'snake in the grass'.

Amazing how a few average age stats and a Gary Neville reach-around can alter perception . . .

:troll:

Amazing how a few average age stats and a Gary Neville reach-around can alter perception . . .

:troll:

Yeah. Never mind the goal difference, never mind the hammerings we kept receiving, never mind that our football was extremely boring or that the fans in the stands were booing more than they were clapping, never mind that pretty much every player except Lloris seemed to get worse every week or that the morale in the squad seemed to be at an all time low, never mind that AVB took over a team that was considered one of the most attractive teams in the league which quickly became a one man show and over time developed into something only the fans endured watching.

Never mind all that.

AVB had one more point than Poch after 15 games. That's what matters.

/Facepalm

Still interesting to read the table now vs. previous CL-contender years:
In fact, we're only one point ahead this season versus AvB/Sherwood's catastrophic season, differance is though another world in terms of goal differance:

2015/2016 This season.
P26 14W 9D 3L 47GF 20GA +/- 27 51P (LP 2nd)

2014/2015 Last season,
P26 13W 5D 8L 41GF 36GA +/- 5 44P (LP 6th)

2013/2014 - AVB/Sherwood season.
P26 15W 5D 6L 36GF 32GA +/- 4 50P (LP 5th)

2012/2013 - AVBs first season.
P26 14W 6D 6L 44GF 30GA +/- 14 48P (LP 4th)

2011/2012 - Redknapps final season:
P26 16W 5D 5L 51GF 30GA +/- 21 53P (LP 3rd)

2010/2011 - Reknapps CL season:
P26 13W 8D 5L 37GF 28GA +/- 9 47P (LP 5th)

2009/2010 - Redknapps break through top 4 season:
P26 12W 7D 7L 45GF 26GA +/- 19 43P (LP 6th)

2006/2007 - Jols second season (finished 5th)
P26 9W 6D 11L 30GF 38GA +/- -8 33P (LP 11th)

2005/2006 - Jols lasagne gate
P26 12W 9D 5L 35GF 22GA +/- 13 45P (LP 4th)

We've been remarkable consistent upon this time of the season over the years. We are though extremly lucky that the usual top 4 are underachiving this season, which can ultimatly lead us to the title itself.

I dream of a run like we had in the 06/07 season, taking 27 points on the last 12 matches. That would see us with 78 points and should be enough.

this is why fans need to get their heads out their asses with all this title talk,Yes we have improved our style of player but we are still collecting the same points, the regression of chelsea, city, manu, liverpool is playing a big factor here. Hence why we should be intelligently trying to keep this run going by rotating the squad.

this is why fans need to get their heads out their asses with all this title talk,Yes we have improved our style of player but we are still collecting the same points, the regression of chelsea, city, manu, liverpool is playing a big factor here. Hence why we should be intelligently trying to keep this run going by rotating the squad.
Agreed, although I think we should factor in our start this season, which was poor, as in if you only do the last 22 games it might show a different picture.
P.22 W.14 D.6 L.2 GF. 44 GA. 16

It's a bit unfair to look at it in that way I know but if we continue this kind of form into next season, then we can get really, really excited.

this is why fans need to get their heads out their asses with all this title talk.
But it's not all in the points. It's the way the team are playing and it's the way we have built momentum and are now considered the form team.

Previous seasons have seen us run out of steam at some point, and maybe it will happen again this year. History would tend to suggest you are right to be cautious. But something seems different this time. Maybe that's naive, and maybe my beloved Spurs will let me down again. It may be irrational, but I am a dreamer. I believe it can happen (despite the fixture congestion, our relatively tough run in and all the other good reasons) and I am having a great time following the mighty Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom