Pochettino has brought the passion back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had by our standards a long serving manager who had us overachieving it now seems yet people applauded his removal.

Having a long serving manager is only a good thing if they are also a good manager, you dont just keep someone in a job for the sake of it.

i'm sorry but missing out on 5 points doesn't erase the fact that we made it to a cup final and showed vast improvements against teams that crushed us last season. stop abandoning ship over a bad run of form.

i'm sorry but missing out on 5 points doesn't erase the fact that we made it to a cup final and showed vast improvements against teams that crushed us last season. stop abandoning ship over a bad run of form.
Its a whole lot more than 5 points - its the performances in plenty more games than that against far weaker teams.

Ramos made it to a cup final in his first season (and won it), so did Redknapp (losing on penalties).

I don't think he should be sacked, as I believe he must have a plan for the next couple of years that will improve us.

However, let's allow people the right to express their disappointment with his performance thus far. We are playing worse than last season. We have relied on a few last minute goals for extra points. We seem to have more players that have been cast aside.

Let's not pretend everything is great and that we are improving, as presently this is not the case.

there was a solid two-three weeks where we looked decent and this forum wasn't all doom and gloom for once. up until the villa game we went 10 unbeaten at home -- when's the last time spurs had done that?
When was that 2-3 weeks?

The ten game unbeaten run, doesnt include the capitulation against Leicester in the fa cup does it?

Positives

1: Has really helped develop some of our younger players and we have more young players in the pipeline next season.
2: Some really outstanding football in games such as Woolwich, Chelsea, Everton and QPR. Never saw football like that much under AVB or Sherwood, ie. good to watch.
3: High fitness and low injuries under his methods

Negatives

1: got team selections wrong IMO in the EL and also recently on a number of occassions. Why are Lamela and Dembele not playing?
2: Team seems flat at the moment, perhaps not the best motivator?
3: Perhaps stubborn tactically but he is that style of manager.

Overall some things have really impressed me and somethings have give me cause for concern. I have seen enough to think he warrants another year or two at least, particularly considering under Levy we need a manager who can work with young players as lets be honest with our transfer record that's all we have.

Yes but we got good money for those players as levy usual does and bought very average, all teams lose players look at scum across the road used to love seeing there best players bail out every summer but they have still progressed why should we not be at least challenging the top teams instead of being content with 7th place.

The scum have progressed??

They went from winning trophies galore to winning one trophy in 9 years and getting dumped out of the CL every season at an early stage..
The only reason they won that one trophy was because of the draw they had.

If that's the progressiion you want and expect then you can keep it..

Yes but we got good money for those players as levy usual does and bought very average, all teams lose players look at scum across the road used to love seeing there best players bail out every summer but they have still progressed why should we not be at least challenging the top teams instead of being content with 7th place.
I'm not saying be contented. I'm saying look at where we are in terms of wealth, stadium capacity and player quality. We are roughly where we should be. Should Villa fans be content with scraping through a relegation fight? No, but I bet if you gave them 7th they'd bite your hand off.

I think we need to be patient until the new stadium is built and recognise that we have perhaps overachieved in recent years, mostly due to having lucked out with some very good players.

What I can't understand is why those who are unhappy/want Poch gone are in such a rush when it comes to football?

Why can't we let him have two-three seasons to see what happens? Why does he need to be winning everything straight away? I don't mean to tempt fate but as a 26 year old, I expect to see many, many more seasons of Tottenham Hotspur and I can't see why we should be so obsessed results. It does seem to me the team have tailed off since the cup final, those reasons could be many but as I don't work at the club/interact with the squad, I can only guess.

However I really do want to see what Pochettino can do with this team, there was a period where we looked pretty fucking impressive and if he can get us to play like for a more consistent period, rather than half a season, then we're in for a good shot at winning something.

Its funny because Poch critics are constantly accused of wanting instant results, yet from what I can make out, the concerns are not about our results but about the shit football and repetatitve nistakes and regression in our game.

Thats overlooked though, and people like yourself keep making points that have not been raised.

Not sure who has been obsessed with results, or called for poch to be sacked.

But keep arguing your point aganst no one and sidestepping the actual greivances if it makes your case stronger

The scum have progressed??

They went from winning trophies galore to winning one trophy in 9 years and getting dumped out of the CL every season at an early stage..
The only reason they won that one trophy was because of the draw they had.

If that's the progressiion you want and expect then you can keep it..

Yet we have gone from 4th and CL quarters to probably 7th and some think we are progressing. How odd.

I said we have made some sort of progress since the ridiculous scores of last season..

He wants us to progress like Woolwich who have won one trophy in nine years, I think there may be a slight difference.

Id take one trophy every 9 years....if we finish 7th, have we progressed because we didnt lose 6-0 at The Etihad this time

Its funny because Poch critics are constantly accused of wanting instant results, yet from what I can make out, the concerns are not about our results but about the shit football and repetatitve nistakes and regression in our game.

Thats overlooked though, and people like yourself keep making points that have not been raised.

Not sure who has been obsessed with results, or called for poch to be sacked.

But keep arguing your point aganst no one and sidestepping the actual greivances if it makes your case stronger

Look sammy we get your criticism Poch has been a mixed bag and we have gone through a recent blip to say the least. But what is your aim, do you want him give maybe another 6 month/1 year then sacked, is there a certain criteria you want him to hit next season for you to say right that is good enough. Do you want a Pulis/Pardew to come in.

We get that he has faults but he has also done some very good things in terms of young players and performances. What is the end goal of what you are saying, to stay and improve or to leave the club and if to improve what is the benchmark?

Id take one trophy every 9 years....if we finish 7th, have we progressed because we didnt lose 6-0 at The Etihad this time

I quoted more than one result.. There were several Tonkings last season and this season we haven't been stuffed on anything like that scale..
That is progress, a small step but it's an improvement.
Last season was the worst I can ever remember as A Spurs fan.. This season isn't.. That alone,is progress.

Scum have gone from invincibles to also rans, that is the opposite of progress.

Is there anyine who can honestly say that the jury is still not out for them regarding Pochettino?

Are there really people 100% convinced at this stage? Bizarre
Jury still out for sure, but we do seem to have a manager that has shown signs he can improve us, if backed by the board, in my opinion.

I certainly don't want a new manager for the 15/16 season and another year of fucking transition. I'M SICK OF TRANSITION!! Let's just give this guy a couple of years to implement a plan, a vision, a system - and if it doesn't work, onto the next one.

It's unfortunate that Poch hasn't been able to break the curse of the end of season slump, no doubt caused by his refusal to use half the squad. I'd be interested to know why this is, as I'm not aware of any issues with players like Capoue or Stambouli.

We had by our standards a long serving manager who had us overachieving it now seems yet people applauded his removal.

Having a long serving manager is only a good thing if they are also a good manager, you dont just keep someone in a job for the sake of it.
And he wanted another job. Publicly, he wanted another job. His recent interview once again confirmed this, as well as his autobiography where he admits he was already putting plans in place, speaking with Brendan Rodgers to be his #2 (whilst he was in a job, don't forget). He also cited his knee operation as to why he quit QPR, though again recently admitted this was not the reason. He'd lost the dressing room. He quit just after the January transfer window with the club sat in the relegation zone. What a guy!

Not worthy of Spurs. I'd rather finish 7th under Poch than have such an arrogant, self-obsessed, media-obeying prick in charge of our club.

Fuck, I'd rather finish 10th under Hoddle than that.

I don't think he should be sacked, as I believe he must have a plan for the next couple of years that will improve us.

However, let's allow people the right to express their disappointment with his performance thus far. We are playing worse than last season. We have relied on a few last minute goals for extra points. We seem to have more players that have been cast aside.

Let's not pretend everything is great and that we are improving, as presently this is not the case.
We really are NEVER happy, are we?

Years of conceding late goals, we have no backbone. We start scoring late goals to win games, we're 'too reliant on late goals'...we 'should be winning games earlier'.

Surely it's a good thing to win games, no matter the minute we score the goals? But scoring late goals shows we have fight and desire to play to the end. Chelsea were shit yesterday but they are lauded as Champions for winning with a late goal. But Spurs...nah, we're just too shit to win it by half time.

Another one of my favourites is saying 'take Kane and Lloris out this team and we're BANG AVERAGE'. Well yes, if you take two of our best players out it will weaken the team. Much like if you took Messi and Iniesta out of Barca, or Ronaldo and Benzema from Real Madrid, or Robben and Ribery from Bayern, or Tevez and Pirlo from Juve, or Rooney and De Gea from Man Utd, or Aguero and Toure from Man City, or Hazard and Costa from Chelsea, or Sanchez and Giroud from Woolwich.

Or on a more domestic level - take Austin from QPR, take Benteke and Delph from Villa, take Berahino from West Brom, Gomis and Siggy from Swansea, Ings from Burnley, Pelle and Ward-Prowse from Southampton.

I needn't go on.

Lots of teams would look far weaker when you take their stars out the team. You can't expect to have players of equal ability able to step in to replace your best players.

Point is, we DO have Kane and Lloris, along with many other good players, and we need to build on that, and add to and improve the squad overall. We have far too many players on the books not pulling their weight (or for some reason not being given the chance to) so we need to clear them out and bring in better replacements, of which we can only entrust Poch, Mitchell, Baldini etc to do so.

It still makes me feel sick to think we paid around £30m for Lamela. Just think who we could have signed for that kind of money. Utter, utter madness. He'd have to be scoring 15/20 goals a season to repay that kind of money, and only the worlds best wingers are capable of that in the Prem.

Paulinho £17,000,000 :walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream:

Though I will not deny I was one of many foaming at the mouth when we signed the 'Super 7'. Who was to know that a Brazilian international could be such a liability? Or that Soldado would be so useless in front of Premier League goals after being so deadly for Valencia for many years? Or that Lamela would look so bang average?

Look sammy we get your criticism Poch has been a mixed bag and we have gone through a recent blip to say the least. But what is your aim, do you want him give maybe another 6 month/1 year then sacked, is there a certain criteria you want him to hit next season for you to say right that is good enough. Do you want a Pulis/Pardew to come in.

We get that he has faults but he has also done some very good things in terms of young players and performances. What is the end goal of what you are saying, to stay and improve or to leave the club and if to improve what is the benchmark?

You clearly dont get my criticism or you would keep asking me my expectations

You clearly dont get my criticism or you would keep asking me my expectations

Ok if your criticism is so coded that us mere mortals cannot understand then please break it down. And yes I get that some of his tactics/team selection have been a bit off and in your opinion he should be using more than just 14-15 players of the squad.

As for expectations that a valid question and I cannot remember specifically asking you for your expectations before, I remember debating your criticism of him, you have been so negative recently of him that it gives the impression you may want him out, correct me if I am wrong. I am curious to know what your red lines are as it where, when does I am not liking this at the moment become #Pochout.

That was a remarkably defensive response from you by the way, I wasn't criticising.

Listen i hate them as much as the next but too say you wouldn like to be in there position is laughable, a couple of seasons ago we were neck and neck and now we sit 12 points behind them, as for there cup couldn care less cup competitions can be about luck sometimes its the league that foesn lie.

The only time I will believe we are closing the gap on them is when we finish above them. And that scenario is way way off.

It's horrible to say but I think alot of our attitudes towards the club and our managers has alot to do with the scum. If the scum were in 15th place we would all love this season, but it hurts so much to see them up there out of our range.

Back
Top Bottom