Pochettino has brought the passion back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There has been some much needed return of passion to the club, and I praise Poch and (some of) the fans for that.

But let's remember it was Sherwood who brought Kane and Bentaleb into the first team. Furthermore, it took a long time for Poch to catch up with Tim's good work re Kane, and that gave us a lot of catching up to do, when he finally had the sense to start Kane in the Prem..

Also where was the passion at Wembley and Old Trafford? Not enough on the pitch for me.

Poch has done some good things, but I'm far from convinced yet, and am still furious at him with our preparation for Wembley.

But let's remember it was Sherwood who brought Kane and Bentaleb into the first team.
Sherwood could not get any of our 25 man squad to show any sort of passion for the shirt and unfortunately the kids he did bring in were too afraid to showcase their talents like they have this season.

Poch has done some good things, but I'm far from convinced yet, and am still furious at him with our preparation for Wembley.
What do you suggest he did? Forfeit the Fiorentina game 3-0? Serious question

There has been some much needed return of passion to the club, and I praise Poch and (some of) the fans for that.

But let's remember it was Sherwood who brought Kane and Bentaleb into the first team. Furthermore, it took a long time for Poch to catch up with Tim's good work re Kane, and that gave us a lot of catching up to do, when he finally had the sense to start Kane in the Prem..

Also where was the passion at Wembley and Old Trafford? Not enough on the pitch for me.

Tim didn't do good work with Kane. McDermott and many others did the work, Sherwood threw Kane into a few games, late in the season, after Adebayor regressed to his mean.

Sherwood deserves some credit for introducing Bentaleb. He also deserves a lot of credit for doing it so tactlessly that Bentaleb became a proxy target of the fans' displeasure at Tim.

Pochettino has built a working system in a short time period, with clear buy-in and support from Daniel Levy through to the Academy. Sherwood couldn't. He's got a team with a coherent identity and considerable mental strength and loyalty, both to each other and to him. Sherwood didn't do that.

His system suffers flaws which are commonly identified by all as issues with particular players, who will either need to shape up, or face replacement. He also has the clear support of management for that, since he's not under any evident pressure to try changing his system in order to improve on-pitch results. Unlike AVB, or Sherwood. That also speaks volumes about the level of support he enjoys. It also speaks volumes about what Sherwood couldn't do.

He couldn't build a coherent tactical system. He couldn't convince the squad to buy into any of his ideas. He couldn't convince the board to buy into his ideas. He couldn't implement the same system as being used at the Academy, despite having run the Academy before getting the manager's job.

For someone of supposed merit, he sure couldn't do any of the basic things a manager/coach needs to do in order to professionally run the team.

Sherwood could not get any of our 25 man squad to show any sort of passion for the shirt and unfortunately the kids he did bring in were too afraid to showcase their talents like they have this season.

What do you suggest he did? Forfeit the Fiorentina game 3-0? Serious question
Where do you get that idea from re Sherwood. How did he end up with the highest PPG in our top flight history, (much better than Poch BTW) if what you are saying is correct. You're simply wrong in your assertion, and I suggest you go back and check our results before you chuck accusations like that against Sherwood.

Re Poch, he should have prioritized the Lge Cup Final over the EL, and kept all our key players back home, with the possible exception of Lloris.

Better yet he could have picked his team for Wembley, and told them all to say in England and prepare for Wembley.

When the fixture nightmare became clear, he should have prioritised 1) Final, 2) Prem 3) EL.

Instead he tried to have it all, and we lost valuable points v West Ham, lost the League Cup Final, and still went out with a whimper in Italy anyway.

WE NEVER STOP LOVING THIS GREAT CLUB,POCH IS A GENTLEMAN HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S HISTORY,HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S SUPPORT,AND WE THINK IN THE LONG TERM HE WILL BECOME THE LEADER WE ALL CRAVE AND LONG FOR ,HIS TEAMS WILL ENTERTAIN US AND WE WILL, WE HOPE GROW TO ADORE HIM .GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR.
Mauricio-Pochettin_3000205b.jpg

Furthermore, it took a long time for Poch to catch up with Tim's good work re Kane, and that gave us a lot of catching up to do, when he finally had the sense to start Kane in the Prem..
Ummm, no. You're revising history. Fair credit to Tim for overseeing a large part of Kane's development and for handing him his first league start, but the Kane of this season is an entirely different beast from what we saw before, and his appearances for Sherwood were mostly run-outs. At this point last season Kane hadn't even made his first league start, yet. Bentaleb racked up some serious minutes under Sherwood, but in terms of being a part of the starting 11 in the league, Kane only broke into that in the last half dozen-odd matches or so. Friedel played more minutes last season (840) than Kane did (798). By mid-October this season Kane had played more minutes in combined fixtures than he had all of last season, so I think you're grasping for an argument in expressing disappointment with Pochettino's handling of Kane at the start of the season. It's not exactly puzzling why Pochettino didn't immediately hand the starting lone striker role in the league over to a fresh academy graduate. He had to earn that slot, and like it or not Adebayor did close out last season in incredible form, and warranted a little bit of patience at the start of the season, even if we're mostly all ready to see the back end of him now. When Poch handed the starting spot to Kane he had earned that chance by impressing in the cups and Europe. Kane hadn't earned that yet at the start of the season, and it doesn't really reflect poorly on Pochettino.

Where do you get that idea from re Sherwood. How did he end up with the highest PPG in our top flight history, (much better than Poch BTW) if what you are saying is correct. You're simply wrong in your assertion, and I suggest you go back and check our results before you chuck accusations like that against Sherwood.

Re Poch, he should have prioritized the Lge Cup Final over the EL, and kept all our key players back home, with the possible exception of Lloris.

Better yet he could have picked his team for Wembley, and told them all to say in England and prepare for Wembley.

When the fixture nightmare became clear, he should have prioritised 1) Final, 2) Prem 3) EL.

Instead he tried to have it all, and we lost valuable points v West Ham, lost the League Cup Final, and still went out with a whimper in Italy anyway.

WE NEVER STOP LOVING THIS GREAT CLUB,POCH IS A GENTLEMAN HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S HISTORY,HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S SUPPORT,AND WE THINK IN THE LONG TERM HE WILL BECOME THE LEADER WE ALL CRAVE AND LONG FOR ,HIS TEAMS WILL ENTERTAIN US AND WE WILL, WE HOPE GROW TO ADORE HIM .GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR.
Mauricio-Pochettin_3000205b.jpg
I don't know whose drugs I'd rather be on...

At least when we've had poor performances under Pochettino he's fronted up and set an example.
Not hid in the directors box playing with his phone.
Mind you, the gutless nature of a couple of last years showings, maybe thats what the players took as an example. when the going gets iffy, hide.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever

All Sherwood did was engage our player who has the most natural talents who played out of spite to his former boss.

Sherwood has issues with the following:
Holtby
Sandro (both these two probably not good enough or Poch also did)
Jan
Dembele
Soldado
Lamela
Paulinho

Didn't get close to the best out of:
Lloris
Chadli

Did ok for:
Eriksen & Gylfi. Both have gone on to improve themselves even further since.

The magical PPM you speak of didn't play everyone twice so it's a crock of a stat to use.

I'd love to see what your preferred match day 18 would have been for west ham and fiorentina

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever

All Sherwood did was engage our player who has the most natural talents who played out of spite to his former boss.

Sherwood has issues with the following:
Holtby
Sandro (both these two probably not good enough or Poch also did)
Jan
Dembele
Soldado
Lamela
Paulinho

Didn't get close to the best out of:
Lloris
Chadli

Did ok for:
Eriksen & Gylfi. Both have gone on to improve themselves even further since.

The magical PPM you speak of didn't play everyone twice so it's a crock of a stat to use.

I'd love to see what your preferred match day 18 would have been for west ham and fiorentina
Best team for West Ham, and depends whether you're talking about Fiorentina home or away. But your continued anti-Sherwood bias means I can't be bothered to debate with you any longer.

15 goals and 13 points in our last 6 games of that season.......Fact indeed.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me....

Wouldn't have expected much less of a return from Sunderland, West Brom, Fulham, Stoke, West Ham & Villa. Let's not forget the 4-0 hiding in the game prior to the last 6 at Liverpool. Or how poor we were at West Ham.

Back
Top Bottom