Pochettino has brought the passion back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is there anyine who can honestly say that the jury is still not out for them regarding Pochettino?

Are there really people 100% convinced at this stage? Bizarre
Jury still out for sure, but we do seem to have a manager that has shown signs he can improve us, if backed by the board, in my opinion.

I certainly don't want a new manager for the 15/16 season and another year of fucking transition. I'M SICK OF TRANSITION!! Let's just give this guy a couple of years to implement a plan, a vision, a system - and if it doesn't work, onto the next one.

It's unfortunate that Poch hasn't been able to break the curse of the end of season slump, no doubt caused by his refusal to use half the squad. I'd be interested to know why this is, as I'm not aware of any issues with players like Capoue or Stambouli.

We had by our standards a long serving manager who had us overachieving it now seems yet people applauded his removal.

Having a long serving manager is only a good thing if they are also a good manager, you dont just keep someone in a job for the sake of it.
And he wanted another job. Publicly, he wanted another job. His recent interview once again confirmed this, as well as his autobiography where he admits he was already putting plans in place, speaking with Brendan Rodgers to be his #2 (whilst he was in a job, don't forget). He also cited his knee operation as to why he quit QPR, though again recently admitted this was not the reason. He'd lost the dressing room. He quit just after the January transfer window with the club sat in the relegation zone. What a guy!

Not worthy of Spurs. I'd rather finish 7th under Poch than have such an arrogant, self-obsessed, media-obeying prick in charge of our club.

Fuck, I'd rather finish 10th under Hoddle than that.

I don't think he should be sacked, as I believe he must have a plan for the next couple of years that will improve us.

However, let's allow people the right to express their disappointment with his performance thus far. We are playing worse than last season. We have relied on a few last minute goals for extra points. We seem to have more players that have been cast aside.

Let's not pretend everything is great and that we are improving, as presently this is not the case.
We really are NEVER happy, are we?

Years of conceding late goals, we have no backbone. We start scoring late goals to win games, we're 'too reliant on late goals'...we 'should be winning games earlier'.

Surely it's a good thing to win games, no matter the minute we score the goals? But scoring late goals shows we have fight and desire to play to the end. Chelsea were shit yesterday but they are lauded as Champions for winning with a late goal. But Spurs...nah, we're just too shit to win it by half time.

Another one of my favourites is saying 'take Kane and Lloris out this team and we're BANG AVERAGE'. Well yes, if you take two of our best players out it will weaken the team. Much like if you took Messi and Iniesta out of Barca, or Ronaldo and Benzema from Real Madrid, or Robben and Ribery from Bayern, or Tevez and Pirlo from Juve, or Rooney and De Gea from Man Utd, or Aguero and Toure from Man City, or Hazard and Costa from Chelsea, or Sanchez and Giroud from Woolwich.

Or on a more domestic level - take Austin from QPR, take Benteke and Delph from Villa, take Berahino from West Brom, Gomis and Siggy from Swansea, Ings from Burnley, Pelle and Ward-Prowse from Southampton.

I needn't go on.

Lots of teams would look far weaker when you take their stars out the team. You can't expect to have players of equal ability able to step in to replace your best players.

Point is, we DO have Kane and Lloris, along with many other good players, and we need to build on that, and add to and improve the squad overall. We have far too many players on the books not pulling their weight (or for some reason not being given the chance to) so we need to clear them out and bring in better replacements, of which we can only entrust Poch, Mitchell, Baldini etc to do so.

It still makes me feel sick to think we paid around £30m for Lamela. Just think who we could have signed for that kind of money. Utter, utter madness. He'd have to be scoring 15/20 goals a season to repay that kind of money, and only the worlds best wingers are capable of that in the Prem.

Paulinho £17,000,000 :walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream:

Though I will not deny I was one of many foaming at the mouth when we signed the 'Super 7'. Who was to know that a Brazilian international could be such a liability? Or that Soldado would be so useless in front of Premier League goals after being so deadly for Valencia for many years? Or that Lamela would look so bang average?

Furthermore, it took a long time for Poch to catch up with Tim's good work re Kane, and that gave us a lot of catching up to do, when he finally had the sense to start Kane in the Prem..
Ummm, no. You're revising history. Fair credit to Tim for overseeing a large part of Kane's development and for handing him his first league start, but the Kane of this season is an entirely different beast from what we saw before, and his appearances for Sherwood were mostly run-outs. At this point last season Kane hadn't even made his first league start, yet. Bentaleb racked up some serious minutes under Sherwood, but in terms of being a part of the starting 11 in the league, Kane only broke into that in the last half dozen-odd matches or so. Friedel played more minutes last season (840) than Kane did (798). By mid-October this season Kane had played more minutes in combined fixtures than he had all of last season, so I think you're grasping for an argument in expressing disappointment with Pochettino's handling of Kane at the start of the season. It's not exactly puzzling why Pochettino didn't immediately hand the starting lone striker role in the league over to a fresh academy graduate. He had to earn that slot, and like it or not Adebayor did close out last season in incredible form, and warranted a little bit of patience at the start of the season, even if we're mostly all ready to see the back end of him now. When Poch handed the starting spot to Kane he had earned that chance by impressing in the cups and Europe. Kane hadn't earned that yet at the start of the season, and it doesn't really reflect poorly on Pochettino.

Your use of "under Pochettino" is probably a bit disingenuous. I think he's saying we've gone backwards as a whole - and I think that's hard to dispute. We were a top four side under Harry and then in AVB's first season we only missed out by one point, while still getting a record points tally. Since Harry's last season our finishes have been 4th, then 5th then 6th. At the rate things are going this season, and as they stand today, 7th position looks our most likely finish. Plus, had we not had Kane single handedly "Bale-ing" us out in so many games it could be a lot worse as we have gone from having a good competitive squad to a decidedly average one.

Whichever way you look at it, we have regressed. That's just fact. The real question is whether or not 6th place or thereabouts is our general level, and I'd probably say that it is. It's also not a given that Poch won't have a better season next year. But, nonetheless, we aren't as good as we have been in recent times, so I think you're being a bit hard on the bloke.
I agree that we have regressed as a club since Redknapp, but the reaction from the fans after the last two games is ridiculous. You're probably right that I'm going over the top, but it really frustrates me how some fans are calling for him to be sacked already.

spurfect In Rodgers' first season Liverpool finished 7th, then next season once the team started to understand his tactics and he got some players in he liked they finished 2nd. I can't believe people are actually considering replacing Poch with someone else already. Have some fucking patience, I'm thrilled we'll have the same manager for two seasons in a row.

No ambition. so lets win some games 4-3 and lose 3-2 sure its the taking part that counts anyway SMH

We all want to be a top side playing attacking football. Winning with flair right?

Well, in your scenario we will still not win anything (4th and 7th don't win you trophies) and on top of that we would be the most boring team in the country - just to get into the Champions League, the holy grail of modern football.

My point exactly i got called every name under the sun last night for saying that we have not improved under poch, im not fickle just stating the obvious some people just think he is gods gift to our club.

Has anyone said that he is gods gift???
This is his first year so can he really be fully judged as yet?

Last season we were getting tonked 6-0, 5-0' 5-1 threes times to West Ham... This season we haven't had to endure those ridiculous scorelines so that has to be some sort of progress.
It does seem that no matter who was manager at our club, they will get Slated after any bad spell, we are already a laughing stock because we change managers at the drop of a hat..
If anyone is calling for Poch's head already then they need help.
We have been poor of late but does jumping all over the manager constantly help?
I'm willing to give him more time and see what he can do during the summer..let him create his own team.

Who would you expect to be in the top 4. Chavs, City, ManU and either one of Woolwich, Liverpool or us.
It's not a given we should finish in 4th, especially with the resources that the first 4 have.
The year we qualified for the CL City were not entrenched.
We were probably on a par with Woolwich because they could not spend big. It's no doubt the dough they have been able to spend this season has improved them.
Now, seeing as Liverpool nearly one the title last season they should be more pissed than us.
We are a club with a stadium of 36k.
Villa have an average attendance of 36k and a better capacity.
Everton are on a par with us for size.
So are Spam.
We do better.
Until we get the resources even if we do manage to get into the top 4 it will be hard to stay there.
At the moment we need a manager who can keep us there and there about whilst playing decent stuff.
Get used to it, there is not going to be any money to spend for a while.
I cannot see anyone leaving for £m's except Lloris.
Unfortunately, we spent unwisely with the last lump.
Hopefully we can unearth some decent players and stay in at least 5th. If we break into the top 4 then fantastic. However, if anyone thinks that Tottenham Hotspur should finish 4th or above every single season in this day and age they are unrealistic.
For a club of our actual size we do extremely well.
FFP will start to take effect and could level the playing field considerably by the time we have a bigger stadium.
Liverpool will also have more resources.
Maybe then we can start to think about challenging the big 3.

The only reason everyone claims we were more entertaining under Redknapp is because expectations were far lower and we had VDV, Modric & a motivated Ade.

No mate...not at all
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-the-Premier-Leagues-great-entertainers.html

"Spurs were unlucky at Stoke the other day, but they are still in with a shout," Ferguson said. "I have been very impressed with the football they have played over the last eight games or so, and they are definitely strong enough to mount a challenge. Going out of the Europa League will help them too.
"You always expect the usual four teams to be in the hunt: ourselves, City, Woolwich and Chelsea; but to my mind Spurs have been the best team to watch recently.

Alex Ferguson

WE NEVER STOP LOVING THIS GREAT CLUB,POCH IS A GENTLEMAN HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S HISTORY,HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S SUPPORT,AND WE THINK IN THE LONG TERM HE WILL BECOME THE LEADER WE ALL CRAVE AND LONG FOR ,HIS TEAMS WILL ENTERTAIN US AND WE WILL, WE HOPE GROW TO ADORE HIM .GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR.
Mauricio-Pochettin_3000205b.jpg

Where do you get that idea from re Sherwood. How did he end up with the highest PPG in our top flight history, (much better than Poch BTW) if what you are saying is correct. You're simply wrong in your assertion, and I suggest you go back and check our results before you chuck accusations like that against Sherwood.

Re Poch, he should have prioritized the Lge Cup Final over the EL, and kept all our key players back home, with the possible exception of Lloris.

Better yet he could have picked his team for Wembley, and told them all to say in England and prepare for Wembley.

When the fixture nightmare became clear, he should have prioritised 1) Final, 2) Prem 3) EL.

Instead he tried to have it all, and we lost valuable points v West Ham, lost the League Cup Final, and still went out with a whimper in Italy anyway.

WE NEVER STOP LOVING THIS GREAT CLUB,POCH IS A GENTLEMAN HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S HISTORY,HE UNDERSTANDS IT,S SUPPORT,AND WE THINK IN THE LONG TERM HE WILL BECOME THE LEADER WE ALL CRAVE AND LONG FOR ,HIS TEAMS WILL ENTERTAIN US AND WE WILL, WE HOPE GROW TO ADORE HIM .GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR.
Mauricio-Pochettin_3000205b.jpg
I don't know whose drugs I'd rather be on...

What I wrote still stands and a few bad results doesn't change that.

I was hugely disappointed and angry about today and Burnley, but I've still had more highs this season than last season and even in the lows I still feel more positive.

There's no doubt this summer is crucial, but I still believe Poch is the right man for us. He has faults of his own to sort out but there's no point changing manager again.

Last edited:
A few?

List all the good performances this season and then all the poor ones.

We're shit.

Surely by now we should be seeing something from him with regards to tactics and s style of play, yet we look more disjointed and unorganised every week.

We had by our standards a long serving manager who had us overachieving it now seems yet people applauded his removal.

Having a long serving manager is only a good thing if they are also a good manager, you dont just keep someone in a job for the sake of it.

i'm sorry but missing out on 5 points doesn't erase the fact that we made it to a cup final and showed vast improvements against teams that crushed us last season. stop abandoning ship over a bad run of form.

Chelksi play much better football than we do so I'm not sure why any sane Tottenham fan wouldn't swap positions with them.

That 5-3 game seems to have deceived loads of people into thinking we play entertaining football. Most of our wins this season have been extremely marginal. Barely any difference between the football under AVB (first season) and now except expectations are now lower under Poch.

Liverpool went from 7th to 2nd sure. Will we go to 2nd next season, no chance with our current board.

Also it's not just about finishing top 4, or even 5th, more importantly it's about trophies, and under ENIC it's our worst trophy haul for over sixty years, for a club of our size that is not doing 'extremely well', in fact it's not even doing well, it's downright poor and unacceptable.
Thats exactly what I mean, 'a club of our size'. We have to start realising that, at present, we are NOT a big sized club. We may have the 6th largest income, but that's because of out ticket prices - which have forced a lot of fans & kids away - who, unlike like when I as young, cannot afford to go alone with their mates on a Saturday..er sorry Sunday afternoon ;).
Our cheapest ST is the 2nd most expensive in the EPL, and our most expensive ST is the the 2nd most expensive in the EPL. There are only 4 clubs who charge more for their cheapest match day ticket and we have the 3rd highest priced most expensive match day ticket.
That's how we manage to get to attract the players we do - London also makes us more attractive - as it pays wages and that's why we are still seen as a big club.
If we charged the same as Everton we would not be able to attract the players we do. We also can only spend big when we sell.
Why is it that we should be winning stuff because we are a big club?
I have been going Spurs since 1974 but have never seen us win the league. I have seen us win one European trophy in that time too. I have also seen us win the FA cup 3 times and 2 league cups. All that in 40 years, 6 cups. Thats basically one cup every 6.66 years ( the sign of the beast!)
So, does 1 UEFA cup, 3 FA cups, 2 league cups, no league titles & no European Cup make us a BIG club over those last 40 years? It makes us a fairly good cup team in my eyes.
Unfortunately I was not alive in 1951 or 1961. Fortunately I was around in the 80's which saw us win 3 trophies in 3 seasons, one a 2nd UEFA cup. We also had the best run in the league in my era, finishing 4th, 4th and 8th those 3 seasons and the finishing 3rd in 85.
In fact in the 80's we finished in the top 4 five times in the 7 times we have since I've been going.
I'd say that was our most successful spell in those 40 years, the 80's.
However, it pains me to say, but since then, finishing in the top 4 two times, winning one FA cup and 2 league cups over the last 24 years doesn't warrant the statement ' a club of our size should be winning things"
WHY are we expected to win everything when our haul in nearly a quarter of a century is 3 domestic cups and 2 top 4 finishes?
God, if I was born in 1990 I would only remember seeing us win 2 league cups. So anyone who is 25 or younger would not associate Spurs with winning stuff.

Edit: I am not a troll. Not a goon.
I am a realistic loyal Yid who his done his service, loves his club and hopes to see us improve on and off the pitch.
I am also a realist. However, I believe we have the opportunity to really be a BIG club. Poor leadership/ownership/decision making has seen us left behind.
But....it is coming

Greavsey,

Liverpool have also gone from 2nd to where ever they end up this season and this after spending over 100m.

I agree our trophy haul has been poor but I dont think you can compare clubs to that of 60 years ago or even 20 years ago..It's all about money these days, money that wasn't a part of the game all those years ago.
Chelsea and Man City are the two big clubs these days and they are the two that have been bought out by zillionaire tycoons.
It's a sad reality i'm afraid but to win everything you have to have one of these owners, and we all know we haven't.
Billy, I agree it's harder these days to win trophies for a lot of clubs including us. But as you rightly say our recent trophy haul has been poor. I'd go further and say under ENIC it's been very poor, but I'll settle for 'poor'.

To give an example of how poor it's been, let's look at Liverpool. Now ridiculously, IMHO, some people think Pool aren't much different to us these days, maybe a bit bigger but not much. Now I disagree with that, for me they're way bigger still, and their trophy haul during the ENIC era is sad reading for those who think during that time we've been close to or even equal to Pool.

I make it that Liverpool have won EIGHT times as many trophies as us during the 'ENIC era'. That includes trophies far more prestigious than our solitary League Cup, indeed it includes one of the 'big 2' the CL, as well as the UEFA Cup and FA Cups.

Now Liverpool's income is currently 1.4 times approx our income (last accounts £256m to £181m)

Let's be generous and say Pool's income has averaged out something like twice ours during the ENIC era. So that's twice the income (tops) but eight times the trophies (and infinity times more of the really prestigious trophies). And some many/people think Liverpool have had a lean time of it this century, so how lean a time does that make the ENIC era?

Last edited:
I used to suspect there might be 'fans' on this forum who genuinely take pleasure in winning internet fights in light of us doing shit so they can descend on here afterwards and attempt to attach meaning to their worthless existence by continuously screaming 'I told you so'. Well, I am now 100% certain these oxygen-thieving cunts do exist and can only hope they're nothing more than goon trolls.

Back
Top Bottom