Pochettino has brought the passion back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC is the worst thing to happen to thisclub, people say they would hate for a billionare to come in and start buying success, but the reality is thats what we need to experience any sort of success
I'm no fan of ENIC, but the worst thing for our club was Irving fucking Scholar. He bankrupted the club, tried to sell us to Cap'n Bob, and destroyed the Old Shelf. Yet another property speculator who thought he could be a successful businessman wherever he tried. Cunt of the highest order.

Greavsie, can you remember if anyone else was interested at the time ENIC took over?
I'm afraid I can't, but I'm happy to accept that ENIC were offering the best price/conditions/vision as it seemed to Sugar at the time.

What I do know is that not long afterwards Chelsea had the biggest stroke of luck in their history when Bates sold off to RA. Now it is strongly rumoured and Sven for example has confirmed this to be true, that RA was looking at us as well as Chelsea. (The bespectacled Swede and seemingly prolific lover said IIRC 'go for Chelsea as their squad is better'). Now there are rumours that ENIC didn't take RA seriously, I know not if this is true, but maybe there's another universe not too dissimilar to ours where we end up with all the trophies Chelsea got :))

Certainly for me if there was a chance we could have had RA instead of ENIC that was the missed opportunity of a lifetime, indeed a century or more. And yes, many/most Spurs fans vehemently disagree with me on this:thumbup:

As to who else could have bought Spurs in 2000 or since, I know not. What I strongly suspect though is that ENIC have always asked/would ask for a very stiff premium on what outsiders would probably judge as our 'market value'.

I think we are stuck with ENIC for many a year yet, alas.

I'm afraid I can't, but I'm happy to accept that ENIC were offering the best price/conditions/vision as it seemed to Sugar at the time.

What I do know is that not long afterwards Chelsea had the biggest stroke of luck in their history when Bates sold off to RA. Now it is strongly rumoured and Sven for example has confirmed this to be true, that RA was looking at us as well as Chelsea. (The bespectacled Swede and seemingly prolific lover said IIRC 'go for Chelsea as their squad is better'). Now there are rumours that ENIC didn't take RA seriously, I know not if this is true, but maybe there's another universe not too dissimilar to ours where we end up with all the trophies Chelsea got :))

Certainly for me if there was a chance we could have had RA instead of ENIC that was the missed opportunity of a lifetime, indeed a century or more. And yes, many/most Spurs fans vehemently disagree with me on this:thumbup:

As to who else could have bought Spurs in 2000 or since, I know not. What I strongly suspect though is that ENIC have always asked/would ask for a very stiff premium on what outsiders would probably judge as our 'market value'.

I think we are stuck with ENIC for many a year yet, alas.
Yes I've heard those rumours too. I also remember before Mourinho left Porto he was linked with Spurs and was interviewed on Talksport (I listened that day myself) but I guess that's the point. There will always be 'what ifs' but right now we have what we have. I know the lack of trophies and spend at certain times is more than frustrating but I also remember very well us almost disappearing altogether and am thankful that didn't happen!

I think the next 3-4 years is the time to complete final assessment on ENIC. I can hear the less patient fans screaming at their screens but we must get the ground built and kick on WITH ENIC investment. What has gone has gone but now ENIC can either show their hand fully by further investment or be what a lot of people think they are - holding a top half position to sell for a huge profit. Either way it won't happen in the next six months.

dont forget their beautiful appointment of baldini. & their defiance in not sacking him after he does a terrible job & wastes over 100m which i keep being told is a massive amount of ££ for a club of our size. bravo levy & enic, your loyalty in baldini brings a tear to my eye.

he has helped us by not getting in over 100m worth of talent which would have seen us challenging for top 4. which is bad for us & wrong of us to get ideas above our station. we cant expect to be competing with those bigger clubs for top 4. we are where we belong. baldini has ensured we stay realists & humble. he has used that 100m+ to buy us all a slice of humble pie. so eat up & be grateful for your slice of pie. it goes down well with cream. get your hands off that cream, thats for those fancy bigger clubs! know your place & your limits!

Yes I've heard those rumours too. I also remember before Mourinho left Porto he was linked with Spurs and was interviewed on Talksport (I listened that day myself) but I guess that's the point. There will always be 'what ifs' but right now we have what we have. I know the lack of trophies and spend at certain times is more than frustrating but I also remember very well us almost disappearing altogether and am thankful that didn't happen!

I think the next 3-4 years is the time to complete final assessment on ENIC. I can hear the less patient fans screaming at their screens but we must get the ground built and kick on WITH ENIC investment. What has gone has gone but now ENIC can either show their hand fully by further investment or be what a lot of people think they are - holding a top half position to sell for a huge profit. Either way it won't happen in the next six months.
As you rightly say DF there are always 'what ifs'.
However, the past tends to be a good guide to the future, ENIC have let us down badly on many occasions, so I can't get optimistic about the future. I'm still fuming over the last transfer window, and have barely joined the debate about the next one, because I can't get up any optimism about future transfers ATM.

One thing I am optimistic about is the return of Fredericks, Pritchard and the emergence of Alli. Will Poch use them properly, here's hoping.

Hi DG, I'm not going to get into the 'are we a big club' debate.

However, I think it's fair to say we are the 6th biggest club in the country. Some might say 7th, some might say 5th, but around 6th I think is a fair comment.

You started supporting us in 1974, so in the 26 years between then and ENIC coming in, we won 5 trophies at an average of one trophy per 5.2 years. Under ENIC, given we now can't win a trophy till at the earliest March 2015, our trophy average is one per 15.3 years (and counting...) That's almost three times worse than the average you experienced pre-ENIC.

In my case the divergence is even more startling. I've been supporting Spurs about 55 years. In the first 40 years pre-ENIC we won 13 trophies in 40 years, an average of one per 3.1 years (all figures rounded to the nearest decimal point more or less, apologies for any maths errors). So that's almost 5 times better than what ENIC have managed.

The failure of ENIC is vividly illustrated by both comparisons, but especially for the older supporters such as me.

Now I don't expect ENIC to take us back to the glory days of one trophy every three years, I do expect at least one trophy each decade, and would look to two as reasonable. Even in the much maligned 90s we won two trophies,
I actually went to my first game in 1969 at home to Cheslea with my Dad. On his shoulders at the bottom of the shelf by the pitch.
I started going on my own with my pal/s in 1974 when I was 10.
My dad jogged on soon after that and I ain't seen him since. Cunt.
However, thats probably the only thing he did right by me. Otherwise I would probably be a gooner like my mother's side of the family. :)

There was an article, going to try and find it, in blizzard about Borrussia Dortmund and I thought there were some similarities with us - not the successful title winning part - but the financial meltdown, going PLC, and Klopp.
The Klopp similarity is MP. He wants us to play the same way as Klopp demands, but I don't think the majority of our players are up for it, and if it's done correctly it can be awesome.
https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articles/football-to-remember/
Anyway, maybe it's just me that sees certain similarities, but it's a great read

I actually went to my first game in 1969 at home to Cheslea with my Dad. On his shoulders at the bottom of the shelf by the pitch.
I started going on my own with my pal/s in 1974 when I was 10.
My dad jogged on soon after that and I ain't seen him since. Cunt.
However, thats probably the only thing he did right by me. Otherwise I would probably be a gooner like my mother's side of the family. :)
Hi DG, good to see you're a long-time supporter. So you saw us win trophies in 71, 72, 73 :coys:

Between 1969-2000 (yours and ENIC's starting point respectively) we won 8 trophies in 31 years, an average of a trophy every 3.9 years.

Aren't you somewhat disappointed at ENIC's current ratio of one trophy per 14 years?

What passion has he brought? I see nothing but inconsistency within the team but past evidence suggests it's not the manager to blame but the mentality of the pathetic over paid players. Unless some fundamental changes are made at Spurs this will always remain regardless of the manager.

Mauricio Pochettino admits Tottenham’s involvement in the Europa League has undermined their Premier League campaign this season, and concedes it would be better to concentrate fully on the fight for the top four.

However, Spurs’ head coach says the continental competition is “good for the financial side of the club” and insists he will be aiming to win the final five games.

Pochettino said last season, during his time in charge of Southampton, that “the Europa League is not an attractive competition” and that it “kills you” in the league.

He was forced to be more positive about the tournament when he took charge of Spurs, who had already qualified for Europe, and has hidden his true feelings for most of the campaign.

However, he said today: “It’s true that it’s better to play in the Champions League than the Europa League. The Europa League is not an easy competition, it’s a very tough competition because it affects your domestic league.

“It was always was my opinion at Southampton and you’ve asked me a lot, and I can now confirm it is very difficult to manage the Europa League and the Premier League and both cups.

“Would we be closer to the top four if we hadn’t been in the Europa League? Maybe, it’s possible. You spend a lot of energy when you play in the Europa League, it’s not easy, but you never know.

“You look at the experience last season with Liverpool and now with Manchester United, and I think it’s a clear example that maybe you will have the opportunity to stay closer to reaching the top four if you only have to focus on the Premier League and the cups.”

That echoes the feelings of many Spurs fans, but Spurs may well qualify for the Europa League, whether they want to or not.

The fifth and sixth-placed teams are set to take places in the competition for next season and, if Woolwich win the FA Cup, the seventh-placed team will also enter the Europa League.

But, for Pochettino, all of this is academic as Tottenham will be bidding to win their remaining games and finish as high as possible.

“In football you need to try and take the positive results and always win,” he said. “If you achieve the Europa League it might not be the dream of the club or the supporters but you need to play it because it’s good for the financial side of the club.

“The most important thing is to be ambitious and to understand we need to try and build a strong team for next season, to fight for the top four.

“We need to be clever and analyse things after May 24 and then move quickly to build the team. If we achieve the Europa League or not, we need to move quickly"

What a fucking shitty/defeatist attitude,

Back
Top Bottom