Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But he doesn't win the ball though does he? He bottles out of most 50/50's. As for picking a pass? Well I suppose if you count passing the ball backwards and from side to side, then yeah, but I wouldn't say he is a good passer at all. He takes way to long get rid of it and when he does, he just takes the safe easy option. No creativity at all.

But he doesn't win the ball though does he? He bottles out of most 50/50's. As for picking a pass? Well I suppose if you count passing the ball backwards and from side to side, then yeah, but I wouldn't say he is a good passer at all. He takes way to long get rid of it and when he does, he just takes the safe easy option. No creativity at all.
Watch back the Stoke highlights in December before he got injured. His passing that day was insane.

He has shown glimpses of being an incredible player potentially (not just that game), he just needs his role to be properly defined.

That's all people keep going on about, one fucking game in a whole season! And in that game he done a few nice flicks and that's it.

He has been poor all season and isn't the type of midfielder we need whatsover. Sooner he is gone, we can get a deep lying playmaker that can actually pass the ball forward and create something for our attacking players.

He hasn't been poor all season in the slightest. In a shit, over complicated, melodious system at the start of the season he was one of the only bright elements and actually got a couple man of the match performances.

Started coming good towards the end of 2013 to the point that he starts getting mentioned as a Madrid target then got injured.

Comes back and is the target of some of Tim's great "man management" but has still picked up his game in another confused midfield and looks alright.

We need a new manager, not a new midfield. With Eriksen, Lamela, Holtby, Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Chadli and Bentaleb, we have a great strength in depth through the middle. We shouldn't even consider a centre mid unless he's world class. We need a manager to use them properly.

Our midfield is starved of creativity. We have one player and that's eriksen, who can pick a pass out. Dembele and paulinho cannot pass the ball quick enough and don't spot any runs. It's side ways or backwards.

I would be delighted if he fucked off to madrid and we go our money back. So we could then get a midfielder that can pass the ball and actually looks interested, rather than just strolling round the pitch like he is on the beach in Rio. He can't handle the pace of the league and doesn't posess the abilities that we need from a midfielder.

Yeah agreed he ran around a lot yesterday, I think he even covered the most miles, 6 I think, and he put in an easy tap in. But apart from running around, what did he do? No imagination in any of his passes, no killer balls, no feeding anyone through. Just side to side and backwards. It's alright against fulham, stoke and cardiff but when your playing the other top 6 teams you need more than that and he can't offer it.

Our midfield is starved of creativity. We have one player and that's eriksen, who can pick a pass out. Dembele and paulinho cannot pass the ball quick enough and don't spot any runs. It's side ways or backwards.

I would be delighted if he fucked off to madrid and we go our money back. So we could then get a midfielder that can pass the ball and actually looks interested, rather than just strolling round the pitch like he is on the beach in Rio. He can't handle the pace of the league and doesn't posess the abilities that we need from a midfielder.

Yeah agreed he ran around a lot yesterday, I think he even covered the most miles, 6 I think, and he put in an easy tap in. But apart from running around, what did he do? No imagination in any of his passes, no killer balls, no feeding anyone through. Just side to side and backwards. It's alright against fulham, stoke and cardiff but when your playing the other top 6 teams you need more than that and he can't offer it.

Wow you don't like him do you! Take off your hate Paulinho glasses a second and appreciate he was very effective yesterday, put 100% effort in and broke up a lot of their attacks. He's also very effective in the opposition box and is capable of driving the ball forwards, but has often chosen not too because of inadequate cover behind him.

Also have you not seen his incisive flicks that have torn up defenses at times?

Torn what defenses up? The team as a whole hasn't torn any defenses up all season apart from sunderland the other night and newcastle away.

Have you seen our goal difference? That's an indication of lack of chances created because our midfielders pass the ball at a snails pace backwards and sidewards.

It's not that I don't like paulinho of course he is a quality player, he is a Brazilian international, it's just that he doesn't offer us what we need in this league

Torn what defenses up? The team as a whole hasn't torn any defenses up all season apart from sunderland the other night and newcastle away.

Have you seen our goal difference? That's an indication of lack of chances created because our midfielders pass the ball at a snails pace backwards and sidewards.

It's not that I don't like paulinho of course he is a quality player, he is a Brazilian international, it's just that he doesn't offer us what we need in this league

Ok, maybe torn up defenses was a poor choice of words but he's played plenty of incisive passes. He also tackles well and has great positional awareness both defensively and offensively.

Also suggesting he doesn't offer what we need seems insane to me since he can do pretty much everything.

I think Paulinho would be better off going to somewhere like Monaco or PSG. I don't think he likes the physicality of the Prem, what's annoying is he was playing brilliantly v Stoke till Charlie Adam came calling.

Since then I think the key thing for him is to be fit for Brazil. I hope he has a great World Cup and we sell him at a nice profit. Though maybe, he might get a bit more physical next season if he stays, but I don't think it's his game from what I've seen.

I said at the start of the season he would be better than Sandro or Dembele, a lot of people disputed that. I think I've been proved right, but to be honest none have been near the top of their game.

Think he's capable both defensively and offensively but doesn't seem able to do both at the same time. Think in the first half he seemed to pick up the ball from the centre backs as often as he could and kind of conduct play compared to the second half where that seemed shared between him and Chadli and Paulinho seemed to roam defensively, from memory he seemed to get a good number of interceptions and just disrupted things a bit more which was needed. Still hoping for a fully committed Paulinho post World Cup though.

He really is just one or the other on any given day b

Bit controversial on here but I'd love it if we went for milner and unloaded him to a big money transfer to say Spain in the summer. Some slate milner on her but he's a machine with a bit of skill to boat. Paulinho couldn't hit a barn ffs.

Could do a lot worse. Maybe when this fuckin WC is over we might see the real paulinho.I doubt it though.

Paulinho's useless last match, where he only passes sideways and backwards an shies away from the ball:
ExfBzB2.jpg

(Green means that he challenged for the ball either via header, tackle, dribble, or interception. Yellow means he lost. But of course there's no green on the chalkboard, since he shrivels at the thought of a 50/50.)

Since then I think the key thing for him is to be fit for Brazil. I hope he has a great World Cup and we sell him at a nice profit. Though maybe, he might get a bit more physical next season if he stays, but I don't think it's his game from what I've seen.

If he has an outstanding World Cup I think that we should absolutely sell him for a profit. Out of everyone that we have he is the one person that I don't think is going to make a vast improvement given another year. His shot accuracy is atrocious (43%), and he has taken the most shots of anyone on our team. 65 shots taken, 21 on target, 5 goals.

Paulinho's useless last match, where he only passes sideways and backwards an shies away from the ball:
ExfBzB2.jpg

(Green means that he challenged for the ball either via header, tackle, dribble, or interception. Yellow means he lost. But of course there's no green on the chalkboard, since he shrivels at the thought of a 50/50.)

What shapes denote what? X/+/^? Red lines are?

If he has an outstanding World Cup I think that we should absolutely sell him for a profit. Out of everyone that we have he is the one person that I don't think is going to make a vast improvement given another year. His shot accuracy is atrocious (43%), and he has taken the most shots of anyone on our team. 65 shots taken, 21 on target, 5 goals.

It depends on what you mean by vast improvement. He has missed more than a few "easy" goals. Given another year I think he could relatively "easily" have 10+ goals. I think he could be a very good goal scoring CM, but I don't think he is the type of CM that we need. Given another year I think his scoring would improve dramatically and so would his pricetag.

Maybe when this fuckin WC is over we might see the real paulinho.I doubt it though.

We're seeing a Paulinho whose managed to score 7 goals fora team that's been starved of goals and played like shit all season. Imagine how many he'll (and the rest of the squad) be scoring next season when they've completely gelled and understand each other's roles on the field. No more Eriksen out wide, Chadli as a centermidfielder, etc etc.

I don't get it, everyone shits on him because he 'doesn't offer enough', but I think he's shown us exactly what he DOES offer: goals. Of course his goals and shooting percentages are down... point out to me a player's (besides Eriksen's, I suppose) that hasn't been almost nearly completely shit this season. Bottom line, there have definitely been games where he's won us points this season. He is obviously useful, and will obviously be better next season, just as everyone else in the squad who came from all different corners of the earth with different styles of play will be better next season. They call it "chemisty"

We're seeing a Paulinho whose managed to score 7 goals fora team that's been starved of goals and played like shit all season. Imagine how many he'll (and the rest of the squad) be scoring next season when they've completely gelled and understand each other's roles on the field. No more Eriksen out wide, Chadli as a centermidfielder, etc etc.

I don't get it, everyone shits on him because he 'doesn't offer enough', but I think he's shown us exactly what he DOES offer: goals. Of course his goals and shooting percentages are down... point out to me a player's (besides Eriksen's, I suppose) that hasn't been almost nearly completely shit this season. Bottom line, there have definitely been games where he's won us points this season. He is obviously useful, and will obviously be better next season, just as everyone else in the squad who came from all different corners of the earth with different styles of play will be better next season. They call it "chemisty"

That can't be used as an excuse for all the players. Paulinho has simply not shown enough this year to impress. Chadli is an example of a decent quality player that wants to succeed here that is struggling to gel in. Paulinho just doesn't offer much. He's not bad at getting into the box, but he should be doing far more to create from his position.

That can't be used as an excuse for all the players. Paulinho has simply not shown enough this year to impress. Chadli is an example of a decent quality player that wants to succeed here that is struggling to gel in. Paulinho just doesn't offer much. He's not bad at getting into the box, but he should be doing far more to create from his position.

So which of our centermidfielders has accounted for more than the seven goals he's scored and two he's assisted? If, as folks say, he hasn't shown "enough" then who has? Barring Eriksen, who I'd consider more of an attacker than CM anyway, none of them. It isn't in Paulinho's game to be creative, so I don't get why that's everyone's major complaint about him. It isn't in Dembele's or Sandro's or Capoue's game to pick a pass either, but I rarely see anyone calling them out on it. Hell, I most often see folks complaining that Dembele doesn't offer enough goals... well, in the context of our crap season, I'd say Paulinho has certainly offered more than enough of those. None of these guys are complete midfielders, so it's about time we stop expecting them to be. If we had someone at the helm who knew what they were doing tactically, these guys would be playing as a brilliant unit instead of individuals who've simply been asked to do too much outside of their comfort zones.

He came to us as a goal scoring CM, and so far this season he's the only CM who has somewhat lived up to what he's been billed as (though I would defend Capoue as, per the Tottenham way, he hasn't had the best chances to show what he can do due to injury). Paulinho and the rest of the gang will be fine when we get a manager in here that can find the right balance between the different kinds of talent we have in the center of the pitch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom