Paul Stewart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Robbo’s latest call was with Paul Stewart.

The first thing I noticed was that he wore a Spurs polo shirt for the session, and he said quite a few times that Tottenham is where his heart is. He had a bottle of Spurs vodka and his Cup Winners’ medal on display.
He started his career as an apprentice with Blackpool, turning professional in October 1981. H was scouted by the manager of his junior team. He joined Manchester City in 1987, scoring 30 goals in 33 games.
Terry Venables signed him in June 1988 for Tottenham Hotspur, paying £1.7million.
Paul made his debut for Spurs on 1 October 1988, as a substitute in a 2–2 draw at home to Manchester United, missing a stoppage time penalty.
Paul wasn’t sure about moving to London, as it was a huge thing to leave Manchester and there wasn’t the same support at that time. He and Gazza stayed at the Swallow Hotel before they found their houses. This prompted a request for a Gazza story. One weekend, Gazza had all his family and friends down for a visit. This was followed by a summons from Venables for both of them to go to his office. There was a bar bill for £25,000 (lot of money in 1988!), and Paul got the blame for not keeping an eye on him.
He was then asked if he was still in touch with Gazza and he said the only time he rang him was when he was back on the booze. He worries about him, as he seems to surround himself in with the wrong people time after time, people who are only interested in using him for their own purposes. Paul thought Gazza has never got over the end of his life as a footballer, and has never filled the void. He mentioned that Gary Mabbutt is always trying to help him, but he needs to take on some responsibility for his actions.
Going back to Paul, although he was bought as a striker, he only managed 12 goals in his first season. He recalled how he was successfully converted to a midfield role. This came about during a match with Luton at White Hart Lane in December 1990, with Spurs down to nine men, he dropped back and was the most influential player in the match, scoring both goals in a 2–1 win. He really enjoyed the ’gig’ as he felt the pressure was off to score goals, and playing alongside Gazza was special.
We then heard about the ’91 Cup run, which started back at Blackpool, terrible game, horrendous weather, a game that could have gone either way, but Paul managed to get a shin to a free kick and we scraped through 1-0.
This brought us on nicely to the semi final against the scum (his words). He absolutely hates Woolwich, did so within a week of joining us and still hates them now. He felt that playing semi finals at Wembley detracts from the Final being special, but the decision to play this one there was the only sensible solution at the time. But now, it’s just a money making exercise. The actual game had us as massive underdogs, Gazza had just come back from surgery for a double hernia and we were up against our arch rivals, who had been totally dominant all season – the game was as good as it gets, felt better than the Final in some ways.
He talked about the buzz of the build up to the Final, the media wanting a piece of you, getting measured for the suit, the Cup Final song and the year ending in ‘1’. Like Mabbsie, he spoke about being a young boy and dreaming of scoring in the Cup Final, watching television all day and then going out after the game with friends to replicate the game.
He doesn’t remember being nervous before the game and was determined to take every second in. He doesn’t remember Gazza being over hyped-up in the dressing room, he was intense before every game. He felt that if Gazza had been booked for the first foul, it might have calmed him down.
As all of us know (well, those of us who were born then!), everything that could have gone wrong in that first half did – our talisman off with a serious injury, Linekar had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside (VAR anyone?), also had a penalty saved. Everyone was feeling down, but Paul wanted to win the game so much, after all he had been through he wasn’t going to accept defeat. He put in a MOTM performance – he got us the equaliser and we managed to get the winner, albeit via an OG, but Mabbsie would have scored if Des Walker hadn’t. Paul described it as the best day of his life, and can’t understand how modern managers devalue the competition by playing weakened sides.
He then explained how/why he went to Liverpool. Around this time, his drinking and drug taking was taking over and Venables had heard rumours, so when Liverpool came in with a bid of £2.5m, we cashed in. At this point, Paul was doing cocaine every day on top of excessive booze, so he wasn’t able to perform and never did turn up for Liverpool. He didn’t get on with Souness, but doesn’t blame him for that, as he didn’t realise at the time that this was a manifestation of the abuse he had suffered.
He spoke about being called up for the England squad, and under Graham Taylor, it was like being back at school, where the emphasis was on discipline rather than beating the opposition. He was proud to play for his country, he attained caps at every level, and can’t understand when players feign injury to avoid joining up with the squad.
We then heard about how in 2016, he revealed that he had been sexually abused, from the age of 11 to 15 by a youth team coach, who was going to make him a star. It was horrendous but he never said anything at the time, as he didn’t think anyone would understand what he went through. He didn’t tell his family and thought it was something he would take to his grave. At the time, he didn’t appreciate the suffering his family went through, as he would go missing for days, on top of the drinking and drugs. It was then he wanted to speak out, so they might be able to understand why he behaved like he did.
He regrets that he didn’t say something earlier, to help others not suffer in the same way. He still finds it difficult to discuss what happened, but realises that it is cathartic to speak out and has given a voice to others who have been abused. He appreciates that people who don’t have the same high profile, not being able to deal with the abuse, as he knows of people who have ended up inside, becoming addicts or committing suicide. He still suffers daily but has learnt to manage it. He doesn’t want people to feel sorry for him. Robbo then told us about a Q&A session in Altringham which included The General. Paul wasn’t used to public speaking, but gave a heart rendering account on what he had lived through. At the end of it, with the audience in tears, Paul just turned round and said ‘Robbo?’, not often Robbo is stuck for words but he just couldn’t speak. Even Keith, who was not one for showing emotion, had tears in his eyes and walked off the stage.
Paul co-founded the SAVE Association (Safeguarding and Victim Engagement), and has worked with the FA and PL, but they don’t like being told they’re wrong, so he educated himself about safeguarding, so he could put his side of the argument in a way they would listen to him. He has been to our training ground in his role with SAVE and thinks it’s the best in the country.
Going back to football matters – his favourite manager to play for was Venables (who apparently is not well at all). He was made up by his reception at The Finale, the Club looked after the players really well (a bit too well I think, as Paul admitted he was quite drunk and wasn’t sure where he was supposed to stand on the pitch), but he was delighted to be asked to attend. He hasn’t been to the new stadium, but would love to attend if asked, kept going on how he lived 250 miles away!
His thoughts on various chairmen were that Scholar and Swales were genuine supporters of their respective Clubs and would bleed their team’s colours. However he, Gazza and Sedgley were in a lift with Sugar, and he didn’t know who they were.
He was then asked what he thought of Jose – he sees him as a serial winner, but not a fan of the way we are playing, and thinks we may lose our identity.
He would have loved to play alongside Pele as his dream team-mate, and the Spurs players he would have loved to have played with –Hod, Ossie and Daveed were given honourable mentions.

Pat Jennings next week...................and I have already signed up!

Paul Stewart is the perfect example of fans only seeing a professional footballer on the pitch and not as a human being. Didn't know about the coke problem at Liverpool. Genuinely one of my favourite players as a kid and was gutted he was sold. What's he been through is horrendous and how he had such a career is a great testament to him as a player and more importantly as a man.

Ps Love that he still calls them lot scum :mourlmao:

Early sunday morning left from me dad's house in Tottenham, snow coming down headed to Seven Sisters for the tube to Kings Cross, singing on the train to Sheffield, was a great laugh never forget it.
Then Stewpot did this :

Live on ITV the BIG MATCH with Brian Moore.
Those were the days.

There is a documentary tonight on BBC called 'Football Darkest Secret', about sexual abuse in football. I caught the end of Paul's interview on the breakfast show this morning, and I think he will be featured.

There is a documentary tonight on BBC called 'Football Darkest Secret', about sexual abuse in football. I caught the end of Paul's interview on the breakfast show this morning, and I think he will be featured.
When I went to the night with Alfie Conn at the Coach + Horses Stewie was the compère.I was pleasantly surprised how Spurs he is! Had a pic taken with him that I will try to find.

Some one here said Paul Stewart exemplifies fans having a one dimensional view of players. I think of the way some this forum talk about Dele Alli and Tanguy N'dombele or Harry Winks. I'm not being sanctimonious because I hated Stewart having loved him. I felt he betrayed us by moving to Liverpool after looking like he was going to become a wonderful player. I knew zero about the pain the man was playing with. Massive respect to how he has overcome these demons.

Having watched the documentary last night, I just wanted to give Stewie a massive hug, and tell him I loved him!

He provided most of us with arguably the last meaningful FA Cup day at Wembley.... I love him for that... I just wish I knew then what I know now, to fully appreciate both the effort and hardship it must've taken for him to even be playing football!

Good on him, and all the others for speaking out.

Scum like Barry Bennal have taken advantage of EVERY kids' dream, by turning it into a nightmare, for his own disgusting means.
Pure, evil filth.

Having watched the documentary last night, I just wanted to give Stewie a massive hug, and tell him I loved him!

He provided most of us with arguably the last meaningful FA Cup day at Wembley.... I love him for that... I just wish I knew then what I know now, to fully appreciate both the effort and hardship it must've taken for him to even be playing football!

Good on him, and all the others for speaking out.

Scum like Barry Bennal have taken advantage of EVERY kids' dream, by turning it into a nightmare, for his own disgusting means.
Pure, evil filth.
I watched the rest of that doc on iPlayer, it's pretty harrowing stuff. A lot of respect for the players who came forward and sad it took so many years for them to get any justice.

Some shameful inaction by clubs and the FA though which probably deserves a wider scope of analysis but i hope Stewart is happier in life now. I always remember that side with him and Howells doing Gazza's running for him. Sad he was struggling with issues we didn't know about then.

Last edited:
Some one here said Paul Stewart exemplifies fans having a one dimensional view of players. I think of the way some this forum talk about Dele Alli and Tanguy N'dombele or Harry Winks. I'm not being sanctimonious because I hated Stewart having loved him. I felt he betrayed us by moving to Liverpool after looking like he was going to become a wonderful player. I knew zero about the pain the man was playing with. Massive respect to how he has overcome these demons.
I think, at the time, we all felt similar to varying degrees.
None of us knew what he was going through.
I did hear a rumour that Spurs knew he was drinking too much and on drugs and were therefore glad to cash in.
How true it is I don't know.

Last edited:
The power people like Bennell had over boys' lives was in large part because he was making money for those clubs. Crewe were a money making machine. Gradi, at best it can be said, turned a blind eye. Just a coincidence that he also did so at Chelsea?

I'm wondering if they'll speculate tonight about Gary Speed, however harrowing it'll be for his family. Just spoke to a mate, who was involved with welsh schoolboys at the same time as Speed, had been coached by Bennell and Gradi too, recounted the story of how after being hand selected to stay at Bennells, Speed's form dipped a lot over next 2 or 3 years. He couldn't even get into the sides he was previously starring for. He was rumoured to be penning his autobiography at the time he took his own life.

Alan Davies, (appeared for United in Cup Final 1990 I think) who also took his life, was another of Bennell's boys.
I expect the doc to go into Celtic boys' Club as well.

Just watched the final part of the documentary. It's so upsetting to see how broken these men are and have had their lives ruined by these abusers. They, and their families, are still feeling the effects, but hopefully they will come to the realization that it was not their fault and that although they will never forget what happened, they somehow manage to get on with the rest of their lives.
As for the monsters who prey on children, I hope they are in pain for the rest of their pathetic lives, and may they rot in hell for eternity.

Back
Top Bottom