Paul Stewart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Missed a pen on his debut against United. Was useless up front for us then dropped back a bit and was a totally different player.

I was there that day. Game was 2-2 and he took the pen really late on. He absolutely thumped it and it smacked off the bar. I'd say in the 88-91 period he was as much a favorite player of mine as lineker was. His headed winner v Liverpool in 1990, the hat trick at Millwall, the double at Luton when we had 9 men. The Big Match v Sheffield Wednesday in the snow and his two goals. So many good things to recall. So long ago....

Unlike Savile, Bennell is alive and kicking.

Some people may be against vigilantism, but when it comes to child rapists, I ain't one.

Hope to awaken quite soon to the news he's suffered an excruciating death.

What is it with the establishment and their refusal to take this shit seriously?

The BBC, the Police, the F.A.

Makes me sick to be British really. The apathy from the top is endemic.

Disgraceful.

I'm afraid its something worse than apathy. Look at the utter shambles the historic sex abuse inquiry has become. Now on its 4th chairperson, the first two appointments both had connections with suspected peados or sympathisers, the 3rd resigned without giving a reason and refuses to talk, lead barristers and victims groups leaving. Its just inconceivable that all this could happen by accident, no matter how incompetent ministers might be. I think the powers that be will do anything to keep the truth from coming out because this kind of abuse is still rife at the top level.

I remember Paul as a player, not the most talented but always gave it his best. He did very well to reinvent himself as midfielder after being signed as a striker. Massive respect to him coming out with this, the more people who do just makes it that bit safer for youngsters growing up now.

Saw the interview he gave and he was so brave to talk like that. He was a good player and probably would have been better had that B******D left him alone. This type of abuse effects a persons whole personality and life. To say football isn't taking this issue seriously enough isn't the whole picture. It's starting to look like that as a nation we have turned a blind eye to sexual and other types of abuse. As an older poster who lived through these times I remember there being rumours about people (my music teacher at school) and thought it just a rumour. The stories seemed so outlandish that they were unbelievable. The British have always been so secretive and unopen, for want of a better word, about sexuality that it has left a space for the perpetrators to operate. British society needs to be more open about these issues and make them unacceptable rather than taboo. I fear there maybe more stories like this to come from all walks of life and am beginning to think a whole section of society has been abused. Is this why we have so many social problems that don't exist in other countries?

I was there that day. Game was 2-2 and he took the pen really late on. He absolutely thumped it and it smacked off the bar. I'd say in the 88-91 period he was as much a favorite player of mine as lineker was. His headed winner v Liverpool in 1990, the hat trick at Millwall, the double at Luton when we had 9 men. The Big Match v Sheffield Wednesday in the snow and his two goals. So many good things to recall. So long ago....

I have SUCH a good memory of that game... I think it was the first time i'd actually seen us win away 'live'... after many years of trying! (we were proper shit away from home in those days... and, quite rightfully, epitomised the 'Southern Softies' tag back then!)
Which is why it made winning "Ooop in't'Sheffield on't'freezin' cold Soondey... in't'Snerrrr" all the sweeter!

The train back to St Pancras was pure joy... and getting back to the 'warmth' of London and watching it on the video that night was what perfect days are made of! (...no MOTD2 in them thar days, eh fellas...? if you wanted to watch the highlights, you had to set the video timer before you went, and record the game your-bloody-self!)

Thank you 'Stewie' for that day.
...and to think, all the time he was playing for us, it was amid the awful truth of knowing what he knew about his younger years. It makes everything he achieved in the game all the more impressive!

...but as for the away game at Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillwaaaaall ...it was one of those games that you were so jubilant INSIDE the relative safety of the away end (5-0 wasn't it?) ...but then definitely kept yourself to yourself on the way back to the Trains... ahh, Millwall in the (old) First Division... weirdly happy days!

Last edited:
I was at the den for the 5-0. I was in the millwall end, it was deserted. It was a training exercise, we'd hit top form at the end of that season and were on a great run. Stewart was bang in form. He was briefly our record signing at 1.7mill (those were the days!). The end of the following season he did the same, just clicked into form after the header against liverpool and we went on a great run. he scored a wonder goal against coventry when he flicked it over his shoulder and volley in from a ridiculous angle.
The next season in the FA cup, the relief when he scored that equaliser was insane. He'd been quality as a midfielder, was excellent in the semi v the Arse. He really stepped up in the final. I was a bit pissed off when he bailed for liverpool but so sad to hear about his past.

I don't even understanding what motivates some people to do such things.

Let's say hypothetically you're sexually attracted to young girls and boys. Let's put aside the psychoanalyzing and the question of what lead to that and let's just say that's who you are and what you deal with.

Okay, so you just say "well, I'm obviously sick in the head, but I'm not going to do that to children. I'll go home, turn off the lights, and wank away in peace and quiet, and nobody has to know and I don't have to ruin some person's entire life."

I mean fucking hell, what is it with every fucking institution turning a blind eye to child molestation? How fucking long do you think you can sweep shit like that under the rug?

Makes me sick to my stomach.

I don't even understanding what motivates some people to do such things.

Let's say hypothetically you're sexually attracted to young girls and boys. Let's put aside the psychoanalyzing and the question of what lead to that and let's just say that's who you are and what you deal with.

Okay, so you just say "well, I'm obviously sick in the head, but I'm not going to do that to children. I'll go home, turn off the lights, and wank away in peace and quiet, and nobody has to know and I don't have to ruin some person's entire life."

I mean fucking hell, what is it with every fucking institution turning a blind eye to child molestation? How fucking long do you think you can sweep shit like that under the rug?

Makes me sick to my stomach.
Sexual attraction is a very strong desire partly rooting in biology and instinct. It can't just be switched off.

Therefore, for me, it has always been about morality. That is to say whether or not a criminal paedophile is consciously aware that in acting on their desire it is at that point that they become immoral, and it's at that point that they rob children of their innocence.

Saw the interview he gave and he was so brave to talk like that. He was a good player and probably would have been better had that B******D left him alone. This type of abuse effects a persons whole personality and life. To say football isn't taking this issue seriously enough isn't the whole picture. It's starting to look like that as a nation we have turned a blind eye to sexual and other types of abuse. As an older poster who lived through these times I remember there being rumours about people (my music teacher at school) and thought it just a rumour. The stories seemed so outlandish that they were unbelievable. The British have always been so secretive and unopen, for want of a better word, about sexuality that it has left a space for the perpetrators to operate. British society needs to be more open about these issues and make them unacceptable rather than taboo. I fear there maybe more stories like this to come from all walks of life and am beginning to think a whole section of society has been abused. Is this why we have so many social problems that don't exist in other countries?
What makes you think it doesn't go on to the same extent in other countries? And in some parts of the world a lot worse?

Back
Top Bottom