Paul Mitchell: Southampton talent chief to join Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Go to 6:15 in this video and hear him explain his role at Southampton. If he comes to us I'd expect this video will be the only evidence that he exists as Spurs operate behind an iron curtain where we supporters have no idea what people do let alone know what they look and sound like.
http://www.youtube.com/user/theofficialsaints
Hopefully he can bring in some of his own people and isn't another well skilled football person we waste

Go to 6:15 in this video and hear him explain his role at Southampton. If he comes to us I'd expect this video will be the only evidence that he exists as Spurs operate behind an iron curtain where we supporters have no idea what people do let alone know what they look and sound like.
Quite nice to have such transparency from the club. We only get crossbar challenges from our SM team :/

If you do not have the money to compete with the top level teams then you need to be elite behind the scenes. Scouting, analytics, youth development, focus on market inefficiencies, and general innovation should be massive focuses at Spurs. We will never be able to have long terms success trying to follow the same blueprint as Chelsea or City do. Unfortunately, Spurs seem to have ignored these facts for whatever reason and seem to in general be the opposite of innovative.

It has pretty much now been proven with in American sports with moneyball (though that is a massively reductive term for what currently exists across all sports), with Monchi at Sevilla, what Southampton has done with their youth system, and numerous other examples that being innovative and focused procuring knowledge can help overcome monetary deficiencies to some extent.

The problem with Spurs is they combine being cheap with also being simple in their thinking which creates a horrible dichotomy. I'm desperate for Spurs to invest more in intelligent scouting, do some work to see if they can find a viable use for analytics in football, and just be innovative and try some different things. We've clearly reaped some of the rewards of having an innovator like Ricardo Moniz work in our youth system. I don't know if Mitchell is the answer to these problems but at least he was part of a thoughtful system at Southampton. Also, bringing back someone who is as respected as Broomfield seems to be a good choice.

Having our football decisions made by a businessman like Levy and someone who only seems fit for negotiating like Baldini is a travesty and it has manifested itself like such. Our business over the past few seasons seems to have been handled with the tact and intelligence of the average sky sports panel of dross ex-pros.

Hopefully the addition of the likes of Broomfield and Mitchell shows a progression of our decision makers towards innovative and different thinking than what the club has been doing recently. If we're to try to ascend the mountainous gap of the richer teams ahead of us it will be because of the ability of the football minds we have behind the scenes. Hopefully, this is the type of addition (and maybe a few more) that can reinvigorate the football decision making at the club.

Added bonus, when he's talking about what his job entails, his lot look like the most Football-manager obsessed ragtag bunch of fuckers I've ever seen. And I mean that in a good way.

At the very least he can inform levy and baldini of players who can hack it in the premier league. We have brought in players who have been good elsewhere but his epl experience will be a welcome change. With all these foreign flops THFC has identified one real problem and has attempted to adjust its policy. It's a sign levy is finally willing to believe in Someone other than himself.

I like this acquisition. Good idea to publicly back Poch and hopefully broaden our supposedly razor thin scouting system.

Reckon the team for Hull should be

Lloris
Clyne Alderweireld Vertonghen Bertrand
Schneiderlin Wanyama
Tadic Mitchell Chadli
Pelle​

I like this acquisition. Good idea to publicly back Poch and hopefully broaden our supposedly razor thin scouting system.

Reckon the team for Hull should be

Lloris
Clyne Alderweireld Vertonghen Bertrand
Schneiderlin Wanyama
Tadic Mitchell Chadli
Pelle​

Managed by Koeman after half time too?

It is amazing how well Southampton have done so far this season, considering how many players left since the end of the last one. Don't think Mitchell is solely responsible, they obviously have a system that runs like clockwork and not reliant on any one member of staff. Koemans must take some of the credit as he is obviously playing his players in their best positions and has got the balance of the team spot on. The only decent DoF we ever had was Frank Arnsen, and I still have my doubts whether the role is totally required. I still believe that any manager worth his salt knows the players he wants and its up to the board to meet his demands as best as possible. I know times have changed , but can you imagine Billy Nick putting up with dealing with a non-football person telling him who should be in the side?

Heard recently that those two had been targeted before Koeman was even appointed.
Koeman might be getting a lot of credit for just being the at the rightplace at the right time, with most of the prelim work done before he got there.

I know times have changed , but can you imagine Billy Nick putting up with dealing with a non-football person telling him who should be in the side?
I find this logic a bit odd. How on earth is Mitchell, or Baldini for that matter a non-football person? Both played professionally for many years and have now several more years experience on the management side of the game. What criteria do they not fulfill to be "football people"?

Back
Top Bottom