Paul Mitchell: Southampton talent chief to join Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hit: JayRod, Davis, Clyne, Lovren, Wanyama, Tadic, Forster, Mane, Bertrand & Alderwireld
Miss: Gazzaniga, Mayuka, Yoshida, Forren, Taider, Osvaldo, Gaston Ramirez

Excluded Pelle as he was clearly a Koeman buy, Long who can do a job and Gardos who it's too early to tell. Like I said the 10 out of 17 success rate is good for us, it's just a worry when he goes for more top-end talent it doesn't work out. Those 2 in bold were supposedly linked to us before signing for Southampton that should have scared him off recommending them.
:adegrin:
You're looking at is as if he was the guy doing the negotiating and signing. I think this guy's role was much more putting together profiles of targets. So, he didn't pick just these guys, he had lists, and these were the guys Soton managed to get, from the list. So, we may need to think about him differently than the headline narrative of the media.

You're looking at is as if he was the guy doing the negotiating and signing. I think this guy's role was much more putting together profiles of targets. So, he didn't pick just these guys, he had lists, and these were the guys Soton managed to get, from the list. So, we may need to think about him differently than the headline narrative of the media.
They could have signed Osvaldo for a packet of stamps and he still would have been a poor signing. Price didn't have anything to do with whether they were a hit or miss. I just said when Southampton went for more top-end talent they signed 2 very poor players. That being said Wanyama was a proven Champions League player and has been good so there have been successes also.

I just hope there isn't pressures from others (Baldini or Levy) to ignore his less glamorous recommendations as they tend to be the biggest success stories (Clyne & JayRod were both Championship when signed)

They could have signed Osvaldo for a packet of stamps and he still would have been a poor signing. Price didn't have anything to do with whether they were a hit or miss. I just said when Southampton went for more top-end talent they signed 2 very poor players. That being said Wanyama was a proven Champions League player and has been good so there have been successes also.

I just hope there isn't pressures from others (Baldini or Levy) to ignore his less glamorous recommendations as they tend to be the biggest success stories (Clyne & JayRod were both Championship when signed)
My point is that we're judging on who they signed, which wasn't his job. He was supposed to identify targets, allegedly. Other people did the signing. So we're looking at something one step away from the work he was doing. Judging him based on what someone else did is exactly what Neil Ashton is doing, which is why we need to avoid that.

My point is that we're judging on who they signed, which wasn't his job. He was supposed to identify targets, allegedly. Other people did the signing. So we're looking at something one step away from the work he was doing. Judging him based on what someone else did is exactly what Neil Ashton is doing, which is why we need to avoid that.
Do you think the chief scout identified Gaston Ramirez? Osvaldo perhaps not (was a Pochettino player at Espanyol) :pochfacepalm:

I love how the journos love to rub this in, in spite of us not actually having any net spend at all.
It's what ever suits their narrative of the day. One day, our net spend is -2 million, so we lack ambition. The next, we spending buckets of cash with nothing to show for it.

If a person works for an English newspaper or TV network, and does not have experience in the management of a professional football club, their thoughts and opinions should be ignored at all times (without exception). Others should be taken with a grain of salt, as they frequently make stuff up for page clicks/ratings, as Robbie Savage admitted.

It's what ever suits their narrative of the day. One day, our net spend is -2 million, so we lack ambition. The next, we spending buckets of cash with nothing to show for it.

If a person works for an English newspaper or TV network, and does not have experience in the management of a professional football club, their thoughts and opinions should be ignored at all times (without exception). Others should be taken with a grain of salt, as they frequently make stuff up for page clicks/ratings, as Robbie Savage admitted.

Not a complete contradiction, we spend lots of money cause we make lots of money buying and selling player hence the low net spend, main question is whether we have bought or sold the right players.

As much as they (ENIC) might not like it, that net spend is surely going to be massive in the next few years. Massive losses must be taken on this squad so that Poch can begin to build the club up

Do you think the chief scout identified Gaston Ramirez? Osvaldo perhaps not (was a Pochettino player at Espanyol) :pochfacepalm:
I think he provided a list of players fitting profile x, with the profile being what the club had decided they needed. The club then went and tried finding someone on that list. And the best the negotiators could do was Gaston Ramirez and Osvaldo. They turned out to be busts, but that may not have been able to be figured out until they got there. Pochettino got Osvaldo to work at Espanyol. He didn't know the guy had dropped off a cliff in Italy in the meantime. It's the process that matters with the scouting, the final result is usually the work of someone else.

As much as they (ENIC) might not like it, that net spend is surely going to be massive in the next few years. Massive losses must be taken on this squad so that Poch can begin to build the club up

sqaud is large enough to cover most spending, I mean we could sell 7-8 players and we would still have a fat sqaud, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Chirches, Soldado, Ade, Naughton that should at least raise a bit of cash.

He was hired partly with a mandate to use the Academy more. I think the net spend may be lower than expected.

sqaud is large enough to cover most spending, I meanwe could sell 7-8 players and we would still have a fat sqaud, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Chirches, Soldado, Ade, Naughton that should at least raise a bit of cash.
I'd like to sell Kaboul as well. If we're bringing in Moreno, we won't need him.

sqaud is large enough to cover most spending, I mean we could sell 7-8 players and we would still have a fat sqaud, Dembele, Paulinho, Lennon, Chirches, Soldado, Ade, Naughton that should at least raise a bit of cash.
Naughton and Lennon aside they will all surely go for much less than we spent to bring them in. Dembele being touted to be sold for as little as £7m according to the Mirror! From the 7 mentioned my guess would be about £50m

The whole setup down there at Southampton should be what Levy is trying to establish not just hand picking individuals like Pochettino and Mitchell. That could be what is going on in the background none of us are privy to that. The likes of Bale, Schniederlin, Lallana and the 2 goons were produced long before Mitchell and Pochettino were around

The whole setup down there at Southampton should be what Levy is trying to establish not just hand picking individuals like Pochettino and Mitchell. That could be what is going on in the background none of us are privy to that. The likes of Bale, Schniederlin, Lallana and the 2 goons were produced long before Mitchell and Pochettino were around

We have invested heavily in our training grounds. Our academy is looking much better. We just need some quality staff to compliment it.

In recent times it has been like having a swanky office staffed full of dribbling retards.

Back
Top Bottom