Our Midfield Trio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They are not quarterbacks we are not west ham playing long ball. Our strikers are not being used as poachers, they swap position in turn with the wide forwards.
No one is talking about long ball. And I know our strikers are not being used as poachers. Soldado has great movement inside the penalty area when he's actually there. I say let him float around there while our mids dictate the attack. Soldado can score on the scraps that don't get in.

No one is talking about long ball. And I know our strikers are not being used as poachers. Soldado has great movement inside the penalty area when he's actually there. I say let him float around there while our mids dictate the attack. Soldado can score on the scraps that don't get in.
He deserves a chance in front of Chadli, Lamela, and Eriksen - more so than the current waster mong does (shocking in 6-7 games now) - give him a consecutive run of games in the PL and let's see how he fares with a bit of confidence

I would disagree, and I will argue that Soldado's been suffering from the same problems this year as last. He's being played alongside teammates who don't know how to get the ball to the striker. Against Limasol, he wasn't getting much service until Lamela came on. In two minutes, he'd been picked out and converted.

Against Forest, he was stuck relying on Lennon, Paulinho and Townsend to supply passes. This would be the equivalent of teaching me Japanese and then sending me to visit Russia to use my new-found language skills.

Let's see what he (and Kane for that matter) can do when he's playing in front of our best attacking midfield before we write him off. So far, the only striker with that luxury for extended minutes has been Adebayor.

Soldado has played alongside, or in front of:
Eriksen
Chadli
Bentaleb
Lennon
Townsend
Ade
Paulinho
Holtby
Dembele
Siggy
Fryers
Walker
Naughton
Rose
Davies

Not enough in the way of supply....must be Lamela

:paulinhofacepalm:

With an average of ten shots per game, only four of which are able to rebound, the statistical possibilities of Soldado scoring off of our current scraps is minute. He, like Ade and Kane, need to do more to bring more chances to the game than feeding off scraps.

No but its a massive indication of why its not worth trying it now....if he worked brilliantly with Eriksen and Chadli last year, it would show that its worth a punt this season.

But it didnt work. So stop using it as his excuse.
Remember when everyone thought Chadli was shit.
Remember how everyone thought Rose was shit.
Remember how everyone thought Paulinho was good.

Different times, different managers, different systems... make players look different.

Soldado has played alongside, or in front of:
Eriksen
Chadli
Bentaleb
Lennon
Townsend
Ade
Paulinho
Holtby
Dembele
Siggy
Fryers
Walker
Naughton
Rose
Davies

Not enough in the way of supply....must be Lamela

:paulinhofacepalm:
But when, and in what situation? Last year is its own situation. We can discuss that at length elsewhere. THIS year, with the exception of pre-season and the Limassol match, Roberto has generally not been playing at the same time as our best midfield. Of the extensive list of names you provide, we have 4 fullbacks, 2 guys no longer with the team (Holtby and Siggy), 2 players who have shown they are not big chance creators (Paulinho and Dembele), 2 wingers who are either in sharp decline, or have yet to show an ability to pass to anything other than row Z, a 19-year old, a striker and 3 guys who, as I just mentioned, also were not featuring much last year, but are catching fire this year.

You can arbitrarily write a player off if you like, but your list is comprised of mostly players who don't create scoring chances, and 3 guys who do, but who Soldado has yet to play with extensively. If you don't like a person, fine, but just say that rather than claim he was playing in a system catering to him when he wasn't.

With an average of ten shots per game, only four of which are able to rebound, the statistical possibilities of Soldado scoring off of our current scraps is minute. He, like Ade and Kane, need to do more to bring more chances to the game than feeding off scraps.

If he ever got his chance with the three mids let's hope he brings more chances.

Remember when everyone thought Chadli was shit.
Remember how everyone thought Rose was shit.
Remember how everyone thought Paulinho was good.

Different times, different managers, different systems... make players look different.

Always rated Chadli
Always had time for Rose and backed him
Never though much of Paulinho

It is, however, hilarious that you have written of Paulinho as shit, but then you say "Different times, different managers, different systems... make players look different"

Anyone defending Soldado on this premise must do the same for Paulinho, otherwise your views are nothing but nonsense.

Luckily, I can afford myself the luxury of never have seeing anything remotely decent in either during their time here.

Last edited:
But when, and in what situation? Last year is its own situation. We can discuss that at length elsewhere. THIS year, with the exception of pre-season and the Limassol match, Roberto has generally not been playing at the same time as our best midfield. Of the extensive list of names you provide, we have 4 fullbacks, 2 guys no longer with the team (Holtby and Siggy), 2 players who have shown they are not big chance creators (Paulinho and Dembele), 2 wingers who are either in sharp decline, or have yet to show an ability to pass to anything other than row Z, a 19-year old, a striker and 3 guys who, as I just mentioned, also were not featuring much last year, but are catching fire this year.

You can arbitrarily write a player off if you like, but your list is comprised of mostly players who don't create scoring chances, and 3 guys who do, but who Soldado has yet to play with extensively. If you don't like a person, fine, but just say that rather than claim he was playing in a system catering to him when he wasn't.

How many chances did those three create on Sunday?

The fact is, they create for themselves not the strikers. It was Ade providing the assists against Southampton.

People keep saying "he's never played with Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela" but he has played with two of them and was shit.

And if we've never seen it, why are you so sure thats the issue? Will those three stop him missing sitters?

There is a reason he is dropped.

How many chances did those three create on Sunday?

The fact is, they create for themselves not the strikers. It was Ade providing the assists against Southampton.
Actually, it was Chadli. Ade had a Key Pass. And, looking at the Opta numbers for that game, Lamela had 3 Key Passes, Eriksen 2 and Chadli 1 for Adebayor's 1 Key Pass. They also took 7 shots to Adebayor's 0. With the exception of a single play, Adebayor was uninvolved, and I think the fault is his, not the other guys.

People keep saying "he's never played Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela" but he has played with two of them and was shit.
Actually, Chadli was also regarded as "shit" last year during the AVB section of the season. Funnily enough, also in a system which completely failed to use his talents.
And if we've never seen it, why are you so sure thats the issue? Will those three stop him missing sitters?

There is a reason he is dropped.
Last year he was frustrating, I'll agree, but this year, in his minutes when he's been on the pitch with Lamela for example, he has scored. Those minutes have been very few. Much like Sherwood's time last year, when he never got a look in. Away at Soton he provided a monster cross to create/assist Adebayor's goal. He then got one other league game, when he scored. Then he was benched again. This would seem to be evidence of lack of use, not lack of quality.

Always rated Chadli
Always had time for Rose and backed him
Never though much of Paulinho

It is, however, hilarious that you have written of Paulinho as shit, but then you say "Different times, different managers, different systems... make players look different"

Anyone defending Soldado on this premise must do the same for Paulinho, otherwise your views are nothing but nonsense.

Luckily, I can afford myself the luxury of never have seeing anything remotely decent in either during their time here.
hahaha i see you're in one of your pathetic moods today.

Nice try but i didn't say Paulinho was shit, i merely pointed out that those 3 players are currently thought of in a complete opposite light to how they currently are. Your point is moot. Try again bitch boy.

Nice try but i didn't say Paulinho was shit, i merely pointed out that those 3 players are currently thought of in a complete opposite light to how they currently are. Your point is moot. Try again bitch boy.
:vdvshh:

Stop insulting, its pathetic.

Actually, it was Chadli. Ade had a Key Pass. And, looking at the Opta numbers for that game, Lamela had 3 Key Passes, Eriksen 2 and Chadli 1 for Adebayor's 1 Key Pass. They also took 7 shots to Adebayor's 0. With the exception of a single play, Adebayor was uninvolved, and I think the fault is his, not the other guys.

Thank you for firmly backing up my statment that they create for themselves and not the strikers.
Its funny how Ade not getting passed to is his fault, but Soldado not getting passed to is the midfields. LOL.

Actually, Chadli was also regarded as "shit" last year during the AVB section of the season. Funnily enough, also in a system which completely failed to use his talents.

Wasnt labelled shit by me. Looked good, even under AVB and Sherwood as did Eriksen. Still no excuse for Soldado looking poor other than he has zero ability to play any other game than wait on the goal line for the ball.

Last year he was frustrating, I'll agree, but this year, in his minutes when he's been on the pitch with Lamela for example, he has scored. Those minutes have been very few. Much like Sherwood's time last year, when he never got a look in. Away at Soton he provided a monster cross to create/assist Adebayor's goal. He then got one other league game, when he scored. Then he was benched again. This would seem to be evidence of lack of use, not lack of quality.

Problem is that the things you listed are the only things he did in any of those games. Not enough all round game from him.

Last edited:

Last night made my mind up. He's shit.

i THINK he was supposed to be our number 10 last night, playing off Soldado, but he was fucking useless.
Everytime he got the ball and was bearing down on goal, he passed sideways as soon as he could. As soon as i noticed it i watched out for it and it was crazy, i could literally predict. This guy is Mr fucking sideways. He's supposed to be the brazillian Lampard but i didnt see him get on the end of a fucking thing! he basically left Soldado on his own up top because he offered no support. Which fucked up the balance of the team entirely. soldado had a fucking good game and did everything a good striker did but this donkey made it impossible for him to get on the end of anything. Everytime Soldado peeled off and took a defender with him Paulinho was fucking nowhere. Im not even surprised we scored 3 goals as soon as this guy went off despite the fact we couldnt break down a fucking polystyrene box when he was on. he was our most ineffective player last night.

And to think we could have sold him to Chelsea

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/paulinho.5925/page-138#post-633126

Its funny that you've chosen today to go super troll because earlier on i was thinking "Sammy is nowhere near as bad as Arcspace"
Im sure you just go into a thread, find the popular consensus and then try to argue against it.

Anyway, the matter at hand. Ive seen Paulinho play in over 50 games now, for us and Brazil. at least 20 of those actually at the ground. Ive seen enough to have made an opinion of him. But that is all irrelevant because my opinion and your opinion isn't what i was talking about. So i don't know why you insist on retorting that you never thought Chadli was shit. I couldn't care less, i didn't either, the proof is in the Chadli thread. Fact is... popular consensus was that Chadli and Rose were shit and Paulinho was great... well skip forward to now and "popular consensus" has changed. Why is that? because people are fickle? Almost undoubtedly. But could it also be because they've turned it around now we play a different way with a different formation? Again... almost undoubtedly.

Thank you for firmly backing up my statment that they create for themselves and not the strikers.
Its funny how Ade not getting passed to is his fault, but Soldado not getting passed to is the midfields. LOL.
Yes, it is, because Adebayor is playing with a group of players who create extensive scoring opportunities for other players, Soldado has not, yet, done so. It is the quality of the teammates which is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom