Our Midfield Trio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hey guys, new poster on this board.

The talent that oozes out of our young midfield is something to get stoked on. Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli I feel aren't clicking on all cylinders right now but once they do I feel like they are going to be a force to reckon with and one of the best attacking midfield groups in the league.

It seems like right now we need a guy like Dempsey that mops up goals shot by those guys. Soldado should be the one that does it but I find him always out of position to do the job he's most suitable for. But that's a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother day.

There's really nothing to discuss with this post, just that I think we have something really valuable with those three and right now we can see flashes of brilliance. When they all get going at the same time it's going to be some beautiful football.

Hello, multi buddy - and welcome back

We have the 5th-best midfield in the PL following City, Utd, Woolwich and Chelsea - roughly on par with Liverpool if they insist on playing Henderson and Gerrard in the same 11.

Barkley's injury and Mirallas' inconsistency has also helped substantailly - we appear to have overtaken that lot - just.

Oh, and Duece is shitter than shit

Hey guys, new poster on this board.

The talent that oozes out of our young midfield is something to get stoked on. Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli I feel aren't clicking on all cylinders right now but once they do I feel like they are going to be a force to reckon with and one of the best attacking midfield groups in the league.

It seems like right now we need a guy like Dempsey that mops up goals shot by those guys. Soldado should be the one that does it but I find him always out of position to do the job he's most suitable for. But that's a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother day.

There's really nothing to discuss with this post, just that I think we have something really valuable with those three and right now we can see flashes of brilliance. When they all get going at the same time it's going to be some beautiful football.
Please change your picture, quickly.

Also Soldado could be that guy but he never plays with the 3 players you mentioned.

Welcome back and TED?

You think I'm someone that used to post? Definitely my first time on here. Have read the blogs for a while and figured it'd be cool to post in the forum. I was on the "unnoficial supporters site" board before they changed it to shelfsidespurs, now for some reason I don't frequent that one as much.

Welcome back and TED?

You think I'm someone that used to post? Definitely my first time on here. Have read the blogs for a while and figured it'd be cool to post in the forum. I was on the "unnoficial supporters site" board before they changed it to shelfsidespurs, now for some reason I don't frequent that one as much.
I wonder why being as you are so RED!

No but its a massive indication of why its not worth trying it now....if he worked brilliantly with Eriksen and Chadli last year, it would show that its worth a punt this season.

But it didnt work. So stop using it as his excuse.
Actually, given the situation, it's completely relevant. All three were new players in a system which did not use their skills to any real extent. AVB did not care where shots came from, so no one bothered passing to strikers making runs, Eriksen was slow to get into the team, and Chadli was frequently not played. Then came Sherwood...

Judging Soldado on last year is like judging Chadli or Lamela on last year. It's neither fair, nor accurate.

Actually, given the situation, it's completely relevant. All three were new players in a system which did not use their skills to any real extent. AVB did not care where shots came from, so no one bothered passing to strikers making runs, Eriksen was slow to get into the team, and Chadli was frequently not played. Then came Sherwood...

Judging Soldado on last year is like judging Chadli or Lamela on last year. It's neither fair, nor accurate.

The difference is that Chadli and Lamela have excelled this year (and I rated Chadli highly last season too)....where as Soldado looks exactly the same every time he's played this season. Even against lesser opposition, he is still a non entity.

Since Ade isn't really doing anything that productive I'd rather give Soldado a shot with those three behind him. But make sure he stays in position to do his part. Almost like Chadli/Eriksen/Lamela are the quarterbacks and Soldado is there to mop up any ricochet/loose balls.

The difference is that Chadli and Lamela have excelled this year (and I rated Chadli highly last season too)....where as Soldado looks exactly the same every time he's played this season. Even against lesser opposition, he is still a non entity.
I would disagree, and I will argue that Soldado's been suffering from the same problems this year as last. He's being played alongside teammates who don't know how to get the ball to the striker. Against Limasol, he wasn't getting much service until Lamela came on. In two minutes, he'd been picked out and converted.

Against Forest, he was stuck relying on Lennon, Paulinho and Townsend to supply passes. This would be the equivalent of teaching me Japanese and then sending me to visit Russia to use my new-found language skills.

Let's see what he (and Kane for that matter) can do when he's playing in front of our best attacking midfield before we write him off. So far, the only striker with that luxury for extended minutes has been Adebayor.

Since Ade isn't really doing anything that productive I'd rather give Soldado a shot with those three behind him. But make sure he stays in position to do his part. Almost like Chadli/Eriksen/Lamela are the quarterbacks and Soldado is there to mop up any ricochet/loose balls.
They are not quarterbacks we are not west ham playing long ball. Our strikers are not being used as poachers, they swap position in turn with the wide forwards.

Back
Top Bottom